Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:52 AM)
Retherford isn't close to being the caliber of a Biggio, that guy's going to be in the Hall of Fame, a lock. He certainly doesn't have the speed.

I'll respectfully disagree, but C.J. is a great hitter, and I think he'll be an everyday player for the White Sox come 2011...if he doesn't get traded, then he'll be an everyday player for someone else in 2011.

Edited by JPN366

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:04 AM)
The thing is, the Padres aren't up against the wall to make this deal now. The timing for San Diego doesn't make sense at all.

Padres are 10 games out already, Peavy will be shopped if not now then before the deadline.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:04 AM)
The thing is, the Padres aren't up against the wall to make this deal now. The timing for San Diego doesn't make sense at all.

From what I've heard the faster they get rid of his contract the better.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
I don't think this is the best deal they can get.

I agree...but it depends how much they like Poreda and who the other players involved in the deal are.

It may be wishful thinking on our part, but it's also plausible for San Diego.

I'm not sure how I feel about this trade. Peavy's #'s are inflated from the NL and Petco, and I'm not sure the Sox have enough to win the division this year even with him. That being said, I'm not a huge Poreda fan (I think there's a good chance he'll be end up in the bullpen), and it looks like he's the main piece in the trade. As long as were not giving up Beckham or Flowers, I don't really have a problem with this. Hey, plus if we get him at least it means he won't be going to the Cubs.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:18 AM)
I'm not sure how I feel about this trade. Peavy's #'s are inflated from the NL and Petco, and I'm not sure the Sox have enough to win the division this year even with him. That being said, I'm not a huge Poreda fan (I think there's a good chance he'll be end up in the bullpen), and it looks like he's the main piece in the trade. As long as were not giving up Beckham or Flowers, I don't really have a problem with this. Hey, plus if we get him at least it means he won't be going to the Cubs.

The last season and a bit his numbers away from PETCO aren't great, but I think if the Sox have a chance to do this they should.

Gavin Floyd's stock is down, and Contreras we may never see again, and who know what the Sox are going to do with Colon after this season.

So they're gonna need a starting pitcher soon enough (or they would have in the off-season), and Peavy I think is the perfect target (so long as the PTBNL isn't Beckham, Flowers or Allen, rather a Dan Hudson, Stephen Upchurch or Dexter Carter).

Peavy, Buehrle and Danks would argubly be the best 1-2-3 punch for a rotation in the AL.

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:24 AM)
1 - I wonder how Kennys package could be better than what the Cubs offered... :unsure:

2 - If he accepts the Sox would have the best 1-2 in the central

3 - Man I still wish Kenny kept Vazquez as a #4.

1 - The Cubs minor league system is garbage. The Sox have legitimate prospects at this point, and have the pitching prospect.

2 - Most likely, though KC is up there with Greinke-nameyourpitcher

3 - The Sox would not even be able to think of trading for Peavy had they not traded Vazquez.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:04 PM)

now is the time if you want to stay at 40 mil like the friars do. the longer peavy gets paid this season, the more over budget they're going to go.

sounds like he's not going to wave his NTC. Too bad. Wonder where the knock on Ozzie and starting pitchers comes from? The way he handled Sean Tracy? Called out Javy for his lack of big game ability? Questioned Boone's manhood?

Just some numbers here on Peavy FWIW;

FIP - Fielding Independent Pitching, a measure of all those things for which a pitcher is specifically responsible. The formula is (HR*13+(BB+HBP-IBB)*3-K*2)/IP, plus a league-specific factor (usually around 3.2) to round out the number to an equivalent ERA number. FIP helps you understand how well a pitcher pitched, regardless of how well his fielders fielded.

06 - 3.41

07 - 2.80

08 - 3.65

09 - 3.40

I think the whole NL to AL theory is overblown still FWIW, but going from PETCO to the Cell would be interesting to watch when his GB% is just above 40%.