Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:50 AM)
Would you wanna play in a hitting park, with a crazy manager and a underachieving team?

in all honesty i completely agree with you. theres no incentive for him to come pitch on the south side. as the season progresses, other teams will come calling.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:50 AM)
Would you wanna play in a hitting park, with a crazy manager and a underachieving team?

You call Ozzie a crazy manager (who's won a World Series BTW), and yet Peavy has pitched for the likes of Bud Black.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:18 AM)
You call Ozzie a crazy manager (who's won a World Series BTW), and yet Peavy has pitched for the likes of Bud Black.

Yes, but he did not pick Bud Black. By removing the NTC, he picks the manager he plays for.

Plus isnt it destined he goes to the Scrubs?

Burls, Danks and Peavy is a sexy thought.

Can we just give them Floyd and Poreda?

As hard as it is to believe we would get Peavy..

Why would they just scratch him from his start if he wasn't getting traded here?

I hope that he reconsiders and waives his NTC to go to a team that wants him. Wishful thinking..

QUOTE (T R U @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
As hard as it is to believe we would get Peavy..

Why would they just scratch him from his start if he wasn't getting traded here?

I hope that he reconsiders and waives his NTC to go to a team that wants him. Wishful thinking..

I still haven't seen that fact sourced, and why would they scratch him now when his start isn't until Friday?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:30 AM)
I still haven't seen that fact sourced, and why would they scratch him now when his start isn't until Friday?

I just remember seeing that, also don't know if that is true or not.

QUOTE (T R U @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:32 AM)
I just remember seeing that, also don't know if that is true or not.

would suck big time if this thing is held up by some preconceived notion about playing for Ozzie. He should remember this is the manager who let his starters throw complete games in the playoffs. Might be a good time for Ambassador Thome to pick up the phone...

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:37 AM)
would suck big time if this thing is held up by some preconceived notion about playing for Ozzie. He should remember this is the manager who let his starters throw complete games in the playoffs. Might be a good time for Ambassador Thome to pick up the phone...

Ide imagine the Padres have had a talk with him about how much dealing him would help the club, and would appreciate if he accommodates that.

I also wouldn't be surprised if KW has talked to him and slurped him as well.

He will still be getting paid either way, and I really hope he reconsiders his NL stance and gives it the green light. Our bullpen is great, and at least we have a track record with the offense.

QUOTE (T R U @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:43 AM)
Ide imagine the Padres have had a talk with him about how much dealing him would help the club, and would appreciate if he accommodates that.

I also wouldn't be surprised if KW has talked to him and slurped him as well.

He will still be getting paid either way, and I really hope he reconsiders his NL stance and gives it the green light. Our bullpen is great, and at least we have a track record with the offense.

Good point. I know he's made some mistakes, but I love the fact that KW is never afraid to aim high.

I think it's pretty hilarious after reading some SD forum that people over there were wishing that they were getting Poreda, Danks, Flowers and Beckham.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Ahem.

Yea keep dreaming SD. Why don't we just throw in the rest of B'ham to you guys to sweeten the deal?

If Peavy was supposedly ready to waive his NTC for the Cubs, why not the sox? He must like the city well enough.

If Peavy looks into the sox organization, with ownership, KW, Ozzie and the coaching staff, he should like what he sees. What is especially telling are the veteran players like Thome, Dye, Pk, AJ, Buerhle, Griffey last year who have been treated as well as most players are, despite rumors from time to time about potential trades [though with his NTC clause, it wouldn't be a factor.] The sox have a solid organization that will only get better in the years ahead, with the young players coming up like Beckham, Flowers, etc.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:23 AM)
Yes, but he did not pick Bud Black. By removing the NTC, he picks the manager he plays for.

Plus isnt it destined he goes to the Scrubs?

Burls, Danks and Peavy is a sexy thought.

Can we just give them Floyd and Poreda?

Honestly, this should not be the main factor in him deciding where he wants to pitch.

He's going to want to pitch for a team in a good market than can win.

He may think that the Sox can still win the AL Central if he came over and help put this team over the top.

And no it is not destined that he goes to the Scrubs when all they basically have in their farm system is Josh Vitters.

This would rock the foundation of the White Sox organization. . and likely shock the sports world, especially with all that Peavy to Cubs talk this past winter. Its a much better option than going after Lackey or Bedard this summer for a similar high price. . .

Does someone have a link to this rumor?

And with all the salaries coming off the books at season's end the Sox would still have a decent amount of cash to aqcuire 1 solid offensive player.

While you were sleeping

Posted by scotgreg on Thu, 05/21/2009 - 02:29

The Jake Peavy baton has apparently been passed from the Cubs to the White Sox.

Kind of reminds me of Brian Roberts.

The latest rumor, seemingly spread late Wednesday night, has Peavy coming to the Sox in a trade from the Padres for Aaron Poreda and other top prospects.

Don't know if this "scoop" came from twitter, facebook, vlog, mobile, RSS or what, but I guess that means Peavy isn't going to the Cubs for all of their top prospects.

I'll just say two things on a potential Peavy trade to the South Side:

1. He's a great pitcher, but Peavy is owed a minimum of $56 million for 2010-13. Last I heard, the White Sox don't have much spending money and they can only do dollar-for-dollar deals.

That's a lot of dollars.

2. GM Kenny Williams is as creative as they come. Before Wednesday night's game against the Twins, Kenny said he's been busy with the upcoming amateur draft and "some other stuff."

If trying to fleece the Padres for Peavy constitutes "other stuff," it could be an interesting summer.

But on a serious note, let's just dismiss this rumor. Peavy is solid, but he's making way too much money in a lousy economy.

Additionally, why gut the farm system again when it's finally starting to produce some talent?

* Sign in | sign up to comment

This is reported second hand off the MLB board:

Buster Olney just reported the rumor on Mike and Mike. He didnt name any Sox players going to San Diego, but he did mention the Padres needing middle infielders. He thinks a deal will get done because once KW sets him mind on something, Buster says he usually gets it done. Can it be Alexei going to the Padres?