Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
is this being reported or your guess?

Because right now, not one dime of that 22m is guaranteed, so if he can get 17m guaranteed and some deferred, it's not the worst deal for him

Just my belief, no source.

sorry

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
I will gladly accept that.

Ya I don't think Ely has too high of a ceiling. But from reports it's been saying the Pads will continue scouting the PTBNL list so I doubt we hear about them right away if this ends up happening

Anyone know how option year renegotiatons are handled as far as approval? Because he's not giving up 22m, say the Sox offer 18m guaranteed and the rest deferred, then he's actually leaving 18m + on the table. It's a little different than in other examples where teams wanted to defer money already guaranteed

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
is this being reported or your guess?

Because right now, not one dime of that 22m is guaranteed, so if he can get 17m guaranteed and some deferred, it's not the worst deal for him

Technically, isn't $4M guaranteed?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
I've been out of the loop for the past 4 hours, at last check the SD newspaper was reporting that no deal was imminent. What's it looking like now?

It appears that the Sox and Peavy are in negotiations in order for him to waive the NTC. He is seeking to have his $22M option guaranteed, and get Full no trade protection through the end of the deal.

Sox are trying to defer some of the $22M.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
Not as bad, but didn't Angels tar and feather Sox in 2001 to the tune of 18 or 19 to Love?

Wasn't it 2002, the year that they won the WS? I seem to remember listening to that game in my car.

There wouldnt still be talks if Peavy wouldnt accept the deal.

At this point Peavy is just trying to get something for himself out of this whole charade.

Its gone on to long for there to be no hope, so Im saying slightly over 50% chance he accepts.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
He'll still be made in SD regardless. Is going to another s***ty team away from your family really worth it?

That money will buy them a REAL nice house in Chicago.

They really love Richard.. I know Poreda is icing on the cake, and those 2 PTBNL (not accurate at all from Ely from what I heard) should be interesting considering they are pitchers.

Looks like the Slayer, Flowers, Allen, Shelby, Gartrell, Reterford rumors can now be put to rest.

I have a buddy that works at the Suntimes and he just told me that Reinsdorf has stepped into the negotiations and that they want the option year guaranteed and Peavy will accept. If Jerry is involved, I kinda feel it may get done.

Why does he have to be away from his family?

Is there some reason why his family cant have a home in Chicago?

Or at least have a home in Chicago for the summer when Peavy is playing.

His kids are in school in April, May and August/September.

The rest of the year he can be with them as much as any other team hed ever go to.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
He'll still be made in SD regardless. Is going to another s***ty team away from your family really worth it?

He would be here for 4 years, the Sox have a good farm system, won 2 divisions in '05 and '08 and won a WS, and have had a top payroll the last few years. They're only 6.5 out of first with many games left against the division. Just because they're having a horrible stretch doesn't mean it's a bad team to go to... also it seems like if he comes he'll get another 22m guaranteed in one form or another.