Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

Kalapse, alot of what was said in the SD paper was predicated on what Axelrod said when he talked to peavy yesterday afternoon...which was that peavy still preferred NL. We've heard from DeLuca that Peavy wants his option picked up...and now from ESPN radio that the sox are trying to rework the 22 mil to make it work and have sent their offer along to Jake. If you ask me this thing sounds like it could be getting closer. Seems like Peavy is willing to do it if the sox give him concessions (also a full NTC once he comes here) and the sox are trying to accommodate

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
Not exactly putting on a convincing advertisement for the team today.

Come on people, this is baseball. One game doesn't make a freaking difference. Hell, KW can say that if Nick Blackburn can go 7-0 at the Cell, then so can you. This isn't like a college basketball/football game where someone's on their official visit.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Why does he have to be away from his family?

Is there some reason why his family cant have a home in Chicago?

Or at least have a home in Chicago for the summer when Peavy is playing.

His kids are in school in April, May and August/September.

The rest of the year he can be with them as much as any other team hed ever go to.

I think the family part is just mainly for this year. I've heard that he wants to move to the midwest, but moving his family isn't gonna be a spur of the moment thing. Kids are still in school, and there are just a bunch of new arrangements they'd have to make.

Well we are losing 20-1. If we had Peavy it would be 1-1.

And still get a no decision in a loss. :lol:

But I feel alittle more optimistic about it now. He loves Chicago just that "wrong side" always gets thrown around by the mdeia which pisses me off.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
You need to stop looking at this as a one year thing, because I know Peavy isn't. Sorry, but anyone that argues that SD is in a better postion than the Sox for the next 4 years, especially with Jake on board is crazy.

this year isn't done! they're 6.5 out, with Peavy and all the games they have left against the central and at home they can make a very good run this year. Today was obviously horrible, but the Sox won this series and the Twins haven't looked awesome lately.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
It appears that the Sox and Peavy are in negotiations in order for him to waive the NTC. He is seeking to have his $22M option guaranteed, and get Full no trade protection through the end of the deal.

Sox are trying to defer some of the $22M.

Thanks, nothing shocking there. That $22M option was going to be the sticking point in any deal involving Peavy.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
I have a buddy that works at the Suntimes and he just told me that Reinsdorf has stepped into the negotiations and that they want the option year guaranteed and Peavy will accept. If Jerry is involved, I kinda feel it may get done.

Makes sense, obviously Jerry wants to get it done, but he probably wants to take some heat of KW if it doesn't get done by showing that the org did everything they could to get it done.

Thanks, nothing shocking there. That $22M option was going to be the sticking point in any deal involving Peavy.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Really the only thing I can understand him comming here. That option is mad bank for him.

So its good that school is over in less than a month so theyll have the whole summer to relocate?

I mean its not like he was born in SD and his whole family is there.

Everyone is willing to agree to this, Peavy just wants to make sure that he gets some "consideration" for his waiving of the NTC.

This is standard stuff, even if Peavy told his agent: "Do the deal"

Im sure his agent said: "Jake we can probably get you that 20mil guaranteed, lets just hold out for a few hours."

There is no incentive for Peavy to accept it this instant, its not like every hour he waits a million comes off the salary. So he is putting the Padres and the Sox behind the 8ball, as both of them want the deal done and all they need to do is give him something.

At least thats my opinion on this whole subject.

So its good that school is over in less than a month so theyll have the whole summer to relocate?

Everyone is willing to agree to this, Peavy just wants to make sure that he gets some "consideration" for his waiving of the NTC.

Thank you. That was all I was saying.

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Kalapse, alot of what was said in the SD paper was predicated on what Axelrod said when he talked to peavy yesterday afternoon...which was that peavy still preferred NL. We've heard from DeLuca that Peavy wants his option picked up...and now from ESPN radio that the sox are trying to rework the 22 mil to make it work and have sent their offer along to Jake. If you ask me this thing sounds like it could be getting closer. Seems like Peavy is willing to do it if the sox give him concessions (also a full NTC once he comes here) and the sox are trying to accommodate

Thanks a lot. Good to see the reports have changed over the past 4 hours, this is just incredible.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
^^^^^^^^^^^

Really the only thing I can understand him comming here. That option is mad bank for him.

As an organization the Sox have proved over the last 10 years or so that they want to win every year. Does it always work out? Of course not, the NYY spend more money than anyone and they haven't won anything in about 10 years. The Sox aren't a black hole org. Even getting Peavy they'll still have mone coming off the books and with the trade they'll have good players in the farm system along with being in a good position in the draft.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)

Im sure his agent said: "Jake we can probably get you that 20mil guaranteed, lets just hold out for a few hours."

There is no incentive for Peavy to accept it this instant, its not like every hour he waits a million comes off the salary. So he is putting the Padres and the Sox behind the 8ball, as both of them want the deal done and all they need to do is give him something.

Very plausible.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
Speaking of fun, Kalapse missed the best part of this thread. The 5 or so pages about Penguins were the best.

yeah I am sure kal is kicking himself in the ass for missing out on that lol

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)

This kind of sums up most of the rational thoughts I've had about this deal in the past 20 minutes.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
It really is, I love this stuff. Wish I could have taken part in the 1,200 or so posts that have been made since this morning.

as a Sox fan it seems like they are making every effort and won't be pissed if this doesn't happen. They're willing to guarantee more money, if it's not acceptable to Peavy then that's the power he got when he negotiated a NTC. I'm down for this trade, but will understand if it fails

As an organization the Sox have proved over the last 10 years or so that they want to win every year. Does it always work out?

In a player's eye, that sometimes doesn't matter. I seen players turn down a legit 1st place club for years just to stay with their teams for sometimes family, teammates, money or the city. Everybody is different. Not saying Jake would do that cause he has already stated that he loves Chicago and prefers the Cubs, but just to think he had to talk to Linebrink about the organization and specifically Ozzie had to persuade him originally.