Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (G&T @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:05 AM)
That's fine, but the Sox are not making this deal as a "shot across the bow" of the Cubs.

Right. And as far as I'm concerned I don't give a damn about the Cubs. But can you imagine the uproar in the Cubs-friendly media if this deal goes down?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (POPPY_HIDALGO @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:05 AM)
Bring that over to the AL and see how it pans out. The AL is far superior...

Let's just hope they don't give up too much for a guy that can't save a season all by himself.

Sick of hearing that argument, there are plenty of pitchers who have changed leagues there and done just fine.

If anything it would be going from PETCO to the Cell that would inflate Peavy's numbers, not changing leagues.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
Right. And as far as I'm concerned I don't give a damn about the Cubs. But can you imagine the uproar in the Cubs-friendly media if this deal goes down?

Yes. And I'd laugh and laugh.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
I just read this on BBTF. Is KW really going to pull this rabbit out of a hat?

As of now, KW has his hand in the top hat, its up to the rabbit to come out

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
Sick of hearing that argument, there are plenty of pitchers who have changed leagues there and done just fine.

If anything it would be going from PETCO to the Cell that would inflate Peavy's numbers, not changing leagues.

Pet Co. to the cell is a major difference. Not to mention the fact that the guy has been having arm trouble and is owed more money than I can imagine the White Sox wanting to spend. You know they lost money last year and the chairman is none to happy. If the Sox get Peavy, I'll leave the boards forever. I'm so confident in this move not happenoing that I'll bow out gracefully and never log in again. I said. I'm all in!

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:10 AM)
sorry source said deal is done pending peavy deicsion

Thats been the status quo since last night. This deal is (supposedly) done and signed off, all Peavy has to do is waive his NTC

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:48 AM)
I wish my really bad year consisted of a 3.82 ERA while leading the NL in strikeouts.

He's actually 2nd in the NL in strikeouts.

Behind Javier Vazquez

The interesting thing is that San Diego would be about $6 mil under their owner mandated number, could cash also be involved?

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...te-sox-may-be-/

Peavy trade to White Sox may be near

Padres' ace would need to consent to deal

By Tom Krasovic Union-Tribune Staff Writer

11:48 p.m. May 20, 2009

Padres pitcher Jake Peavy pumps his fist after closing out the ninth inning of Sunday's 3-1 victory over the Reds. (AP Photo/Denis Poroy) -

A team from Chicago is showing interest in trading four players for Jake Peavy – but for now, it's not the Cubs.

It's the White Sox.

According to Padres personnel, Peavy met with Padres manager Bud Black late Wednesday night to discuss a trade overture from the Sox.

Peavy, whose consent would be needed for a trade to any club, declined all comment after meeting with Black.

Within the clubhouse, though, Peavy referred to the situation as “something to think about” yet also restated his desire to stay in the National League. One of Peavy's teammates said he believes Peavy respects the Sox's aggressiveness in pushing for him but may have reservations about pitching for Ozzie Guillen, the White Sox's volatile manager.

The Cubs and Padres were deep into trade talks in December, but the Cubs walked away, said Padres General Manager Kevin Towers. The Padres are about $5 million above the $40 million player payroll that Towers said the club's majority owner, John Moores, has mandated for this season and could hit that number by moving Peavy, who is due $11 million this season.

Tom Krasovic: (619) 293-2207;

Have we reached any consensus on the players? We talking CR/AP, Shelby, ETC. Or any of the premier offensive prospects? IF we're trading Richard and Poreda something tells me this organization really loves Dan Hudson, or it's all about Peavy which is badass in and of itself.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Ozzie's Accent @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
I could see the Padres asking for Alexei.

That's a damn good point. Great contract, and Alexei would be a good fit for that ballpark. However, he does not fit the Moneyball type of approach they've got going on out their.

If anything, I'd see em more interested in Getz than Alexei actually.

It's not like Alexei would be able to hit his 20HR's a season playing half his game in that ballclub.

Getz could be a long-term #2 hitter for that team with his ability to get on base (although he hasn't shown that thus far).

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:17 AM)
Have we reached any consensus on the players? We talking CR/AP, Shelby, ETC. Or any of the premier offensive prospects? IF we're trading Richard and Poreda something tells me this organization really loves Dan Hudson, or it's all about Peavy which is badass in and of itself.

if its poreda and richard, i'd have to guess that the PTBNLs would not be Beckham, Flowers, Viciedo, Danks,....i would guess one could in the class of Shelby, Retherford, Morel, etc. Its also possible one of Nix, Getz, Lillibridge go, or Anderson go.