Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
A blogger had the idea of a 3 way trade between the Sox, Padres and Cubs. Since Peavy would go to the Cubs, if you were KW, would you trade the same package, although if Broadway was involved, it would have to be tweaked, and get Zambrano instead?

OH JESUS GOD NO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
A blogger had the idea of a 3 way trade between the Sox, Padres and Cubs. Since Peavy would go to the Cubs, if you were KW, would you trade the same package, although if Broadway was involved, it would have to be tweaked, and get Zambrano instead?

Zambrano just isnt that good of a pitcher in the AL, he's just not. We would have to give up Poreda or Richard and more, and I am not sure its worth it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)

I would. I would I would. But the Sox would have to give up less than they had originally offered cause Peavy is better than Carlos. Big Z woudl fit in nicely with Ozzie and while I know people say he'd get rocked in the AL I think he has the stuff to be very good in the AL.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)

I would... if it was offered today. Richard is still a question mark.

To me Zambrano is a better pitcher/player than Peavy...

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
I would... if it was offered today. Richard is still a question mark.

To me Zambrano is a better pitcher/player than Peavy...

He's also a headcase, an embarrassment, a bad clubhouse guy, and his ERA+ has been steadily declining over the past five years. Somebody else can overpay for that nutjob.

I personally think Zambrano has a higher upside the next few years than Peavy. He was a Sox fan growing up because of Ozzie. Maybe Ozzie being his manager plus Zambozo being new to the team, adjusts his attitude a bit. Frankly, I couldn't believe the Sox would have been able to get Peavy for that package and the money is virtually the same. I would make this trade in a heartbeat if I were KW. As for Hendry, right now he may think Peavy is better than Zambrano, and the Padres we know are in. There definitely is a huge risk, owing a guy like Zambrano that kind of money is risky, but it also could pay off huge. If I'm KW and it was possible, I definitely would do it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
I personally think Zambrano has a higher upside the next few years than Peavy. He was a Sox fan growing up because of Ozzie. Maybe Ozzie being his manager plus Zambozo being new to the team, adjusts his attitude a bit. Frankly, I couldn't believe the Sox would have been able to get Peavy for that package and the money is virtually the same. I would make this trade in a heartbeat if I were KW. As for Hendry, right now he may think Peavy is better than Zambrano, and the Padres we know are in. There definitely is a huge risk, owing a guy like Zambrano that kind of money is risky, but it also could pay off huge. If I'm KW and it was possible, I definitely would do it.

No way you trade that same package for Zambrano. While I agree that attitude would be less of an issue here, he's simply not the same caliber of pitcher as Peavy. More importantly, he's owed $18 million/yr for the next three seasons and has been on the DL a bunch of times the past couple of years (IIRC).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
I personally think Zambrano has a higher upside the next few years than Peavy. He was a Sox fan growing up because of Ozzie. Maybe Ozzie being his manager plus Zambozo being new to the team, adjusts his attitude a bit.

Even if Zambrano stopped cursing out umps, punching his teammates, and destroying coolers with bats, his ERA+ has been on a steady decline and his WHIP has steadily risen since 2004. I don't see that as a good sign for a power pitcher. If he was still pitching like he was in 2004 or 2005, I'd agree that he's worth the risk. But I'm not sure that guy is ever going to return.

Ozzie and Big Z would get along great!

per rotoworld:

Carlos Zambrano-S-Cubs Jun. 5 - 11:57 pm et

Carlos Zambrano said Friday that he expects to retire in five years.

The topic came up when a reporter mentioned Randy Johnson's 300th win. "‘For 300' Me? No, I'll be out of here in five years," said Zambrano. After his response drew laughter, he added, "No, believe me. After this contract I'm done. I'm serious. Because I don't want to play anymore."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)

In all seriousness, the only way I would touch Zambrano is if about half of that contract got picked up. He would be a solid middle of the rotation guy, who would give you spectacular games here and there, but he would also get you a solid 200 IP a year. I wouldn't want him at the ridiculous annual price tag though, as that wouldn't be worth it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
In all seriousness, the only way I would touch Zambrano is if about half of that contract got picked up. He would be a solid middle of the rotation guy, who would give you spectacular games here and there, but he would also get you a solid 200 IP a year.

You really think his arm is going to hold up for that kind of work load?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
You really think his arm is going to hold up for that kind of work load?

He seems to mostly get the flukey injury, but nothing serious. Also being a bigger guy, he seems to hold up to the workload a little better. Also lets not kid ourselves, Ozzie isn't going to burn him up the way that they did on the northside. Ozzie really protects his starters.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
He seems to mostly get the flukey injury, but nothing serious. Also being a bigger guy, he seems to hold up to the workload a little better. Also lets not kid ourselves, Ozzie isn't going to burn him up the way that they did on the northside. Ozzie really protects his starters.

I still worry about character issues with Zambrano. The guy has an anger problem and a history of not getting along with teammates. I'm not convinced that even Ozzie could keep him under control.

I also agree that $18 million a guy who has declined from a #1 to a #2 over the past four years is too much.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
I still worry about character issues with Zambrano. The guy has an anger problem and a history of not getting along with teammates. I'm not convinced that even Ozzie could keep him under control.

I also agree that $18 million a guy who has declined from a #1 to a #2 over the past four years is too much.

Character issues is my number one problem with the guy. If you are looking at $18.3 million on average for five years, you had better KNOW this guy will be willing to go into battle and lead you over the hill, and not go AWOL.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
In all seriousness, the only way I would touch Zambrano is if about half of that contract got picked up. He would be a solid middle of the rotation guy, who would give you spectacular games here and there, but he would also get you a solid 200 IP a year. I wouldn't want him at the ridiculous annual price tag though, as that wouldn't be worth it.

I'll say right now that I would give up the exact package we offered for Peavy in a 3-way deal that would bring us Zambrano IF the Cubs did as you said and ate a large chunk of his salary. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've always like Z, ever since he came up. I personally find his antics amusing and I'd only be pissed if he hurt himself during the process.

• 1 month later...