How Important Is a Sweep of the Bucs?

hogan873

With the Pirates coming to town and both teams not playing well, how important is it for the Sox to sweep? Sounds like a stupid question (and it probably is), but with the humiliating loss yesterday I would think a sweep and 5 of 6 home stand would be what the Sox really need. They could head out west (cringe) only 3 games below .500 and a head of steam.

Granted a series win is a series win, so winning 2 out of 3 against Pittsburgh would be okay. The Sox, however, need every win they can get before going to the left coast. History tells us it could be ugly.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
Very important. As I said, we find out a lot about this club by June 1st, cause it likely puts the Sox in a position of what they are doing. I still think they'll be looking towards next season and beyond.

I agree. Being at .500 at the beginning of June would say at least some good about the team. But, looking forward is probably the way we're leaning. With the AL Central the way it is, we could be both competing and gearing up for 2010 and beyond.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ May 22, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
Ummm... the Bucs are 7-3 in their last 10 and just had a 5 game winning streak snapped yesterday.

Noted...I hadn't looked at their recent record. I was looking at their overall record, and it's about where they are every year.

Sweep would obviously be nice, but if they take 2 out of 3 and gain another game on KC and the Twins and hopefully the Tigers, it would be fine, they have a ton of home cooking in June.

The 20-1 score was a joke and no excuses, but they did win 2 out of 3 and ended up gaining on KC and the Twins and being even with the Tigers for the series, so it was a positive series, just marred by that ridiculous game.

I know he's been doing it against NL clubs, but Duke and much of Pitt's starting staff has pitched very well this year

Edited by SoxFan562004

I think of every series like Ozzie thinks...while the outcome is important, it's how you handle the games that's more important. If the Sox can come out tonight and have a good showing against the Pirates after the shellacking they got yesterday, that's a good sign. Sometimes, s*** happens, but it the Sox lose 1-0 or 2-1 in a well-pitched game, is that horrible? No. That being said, they better win the next two.

Of course, I'll be at the game tonight with my father-in-law for his first White Sox game (he's from Rhode Island and a Red Sox fan) so they better win and show him a good time.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
I think of every series like Ozzie thinks...while the outcome is important, it's how you handle the games that's more important. If the Sox can come out tonight and have a good showing against the Pirates after the shellacking they got yesterday, that's a good sign. Sometimes, s*** happens, but it the Sox lose 1-0 or 2-1 in a well-pitched game, is that horrible? No. That being said, they better win the next two.

Of course, I'll be at the game tonight with my father-in-law for his first White Sox game (he's from Rhode Island and a Red Sox fan) so they better win and show him a good time.

I think complete ass kickings like that are somewhat easy to get over because it enters the realm of laughable at a point. I sure the players are embarassed to a certain level, but they did look good in the first 2 games. It happens. Today the score is 0-0 as it will be the next time they face the Twins.

Sometime you get your ass kicked in life, there's no point crying over it

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 22, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)

Tell your father-in-law howdy from me. I don't know the gentleman, but I'm a friendly fellow and I saw a Red Sox game at Fenway once. It was a good time. :lol:

In 2007 our interleague record was one of the things that killed us. You don't just lose to inferior teams like we did. Had we turned that frown upside down we'd have been hella closer to the top and you wouldn't be getting that bitter taste in your mouth every time you hear "white sox" and "2007" in the same line. Sweep this horrid team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2009 -> 08:49 AM)
You can't always sweep teams even when you want to.

Especially when your offense is under-performing and 60% of your starting rotation sucks nuts. I'll be happy with 2/3.