compensation picks

dasox24

I've got a question about offering arbitration to our FA's this year(Colon,Alomar, Everett,etc.) My first thought after we made the trades for Alomar and Everett was, "well, even if we still dont make the playoffs, we'll at least get comp. picks for them." But, I dont think we will offer all of these players arbitration because if we do we might end up having one of them sign with us for more than we'd want them to, or if we offer all of them arbitration, and they all sign elswhere, wouldnt that be 4 first round picks for us, and 3 1st round supplemental picks. If this is the case, then wouldn't we we kinda have too many 1st round/1st round sup. picks to sign. That would be a lot of money in signing bonus' that we'd have to pay, and knowing the White Sox, they probably wouldn't pay everyone. So anyway, here's my question: What do ya'll think the white sox will do about arbitration with our FA's and who do ya'll think we'll offer arbitration to?

By they way, sorry if this is kind of a confusing post, I'm kinda in a hurry.

Well maybe if the Sox don't have enough money to sign 3 or 4 1st round draft chocies, they could make some trades with them.  But I'm not really clear on trading of draft picks since I can't remember anyone every trading draft picks.

i think its called player to be name later, however, i think that we can offer them less then what they were making as well to be within the rules. like 5 or 10% lower. i may be wrong here, only on the numbers.

Well maybe if the Sox don't have enough money to sign 3 or 4 1st round draft chocies, they could make some trades with them.  But I'm not really clear on trading of draft picks since I can't remember anyone every trading draft picks.

You can't trade draft picks at all......

You can always find the money to sign guys if you draft right. All you have to do is find players you really like that are likely to be 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounders and overdraft them, with the agreement they will sign for less than slotted money, but more than they would get if they went in a later round.

All you have to do is find players you really like that are likely to be 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounders and overdraft them, with the agreement they will sign for less than slotted money, but more than they would get if they went in a later round.

That's a good idea, Rex. I never thought about us just overdrafting players that we like and sign them for less than a regular first round pick in the slot we draft them. If that would be the case, then I wouldnt mind at all having a lot of 1st picks.

Even if we have a bunch of high draft choices, say 6-8 if we get really lucky with our future free agents, it won't be a problem getting the money to sign them. It's just another budget item that will be established at the beginning of the year. Some Accountant will just do a little pushing and shoving with numbers, and presto, the money is there.

Even if we have a bunch of high draft choices, say 6-8 if we get really lucky with our future free agents, it won't be a problem getting the money to sign them.  It's just another budget item that will be established at the beginning of the year.  Some Accountant will just do a little pushing and shoving with numbers, and presto, the money is there.

i don't, what you just brought up is interesting, however my thoughts are the sox will come up with the money. why, b/c they know they are going to get several extra draft picks.

You can't trade draft picks at all......

You can always find the money to sign guys if you draft right.  All you have to do is find players you really like that are likely to be 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounders and overdraft them, with the agreement they will sign for less than slotted money, but more than they would get if they went in a later round.

My God, it's Oakland's draft strategy! Bottle it up and sell it!