Game Thread: Pit @ CWS at 1:05 CDT on CSN

shipps

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 24, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
I don't want AJ gone just yet, but Harrelson's bias for him really gets under my skin. For every trick out the catcher and run to first play, there's about 100 popup on the first pitch right after the pitcher walks a guy at-bats.

But he still gives us a regular .750 OPS out of that spot, he still is going to hit .260-.280 out of that spot, he's still going to give us 10+ home runs, he's still not going to make many mistakes on defense. He's what he is...a solid catcher with a weak throwing arm. It'd certainly be nice if we had a cross between Joe Mauer's bat and IRoid's throwing arm back there, but seriously...this is silly. If the season goes ridiculously south, of course he's on the market; every player who isn't cheap should be. But it's not like he's a major liability back there; we're better off with him than without him by a lot.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

But he still gives us a regular .750 OPS out of that spot, he still is going to hit .260-.280 out of that spot, he's still going to give us 10+ home runs, he's still not going to make many mistakes on defense. He's what he is...a solid catcher with a weak throwing arm. It'd certainly be nice if we had a cross between Joe Mauer's bat and IRoid's throwing arm back there, but seriously...this is silly. If the season goes ridiculously south, of course he's on the market; every player who isn't cheap should be. But it's not like he's a major liability back there; we're better off with him than without him by a lot.

Out of what spot, 5th? He's barely hit there this year, didn't bat there much in 2008 and had 249 AB's there in 2007. He's been very bad in the 5th spot during that time as well. Since he's been with the Sox his OPS has cracked the .750 line once.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 24, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
Out of what spot, 5th? He's barely hit there this year, didn't bat there much in 2008 and had 249 AB's there in 2007. He's been very bad in the 5th spot during that time as well. Since he's been with the Sox his OPS has cracked the .750 line once.

So we're mad at AJ for being a poor #5 hitter and we want to trade him and go with Lucy?

So we're mad at AJ for being a poor #5 hitter and we want to trade him and go with Lucy?

Boy you can't look up numbers correctly or bother to read any of my previous posts.

The first third of your post is correct, and the stats (not the ones you made up) support that. I didn't say to trade him or go with Donny Lucy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 24, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
He was in the top 6 in catchers in OPS in 2008 a typical season for him. He calls a good game, and the guy who doesn't ever shake off catchers, Mark Buerhle, is far and away the White Sox best performer on the mound since AJP has been a White Sox. He doesn't throw well, but nobody is going to throw out most of the basestealers against the White Sox. Floyd and Contreras do not hold guys on.

Before him, we had to deal with guys like Ben Davis, Brook Fordyce, a 100 year old Sandy Alomar Jr., Mark Johnson. AJP has been a godsend. Its too bad a lot of people don't recognize that. Get rid of him and the Sox will spend the next 5 years looking for someone to take his place unless Flowers suddenly shows he can stop a ball. He is getting older, and he's close to the point a lot of catchers lose it. Trading him would be silly.

Its yet another example of be careful what you wish for. Josh Fields all of a sudden doesn't look better than Joe Crede. He suddenly doesn't look better than Juan Uribe.

:headbang

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 24, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
He was in the top 6 in catchers in OPS in 2008 a typical season for him. He calls a good game, and the guy who doesn't ever shake off catchers, Mark Buerhle, is far and away the White Sox best performer on the mound since AJP has been a White Sox. He doesn't throw well, but nobody is going to throw out most of the basestealers against the White Sox. Floyd and Contreras do not hold guys on.

Before him, we had to deal with guys like Ben Davis, Brook Fordyce, a 100 year old Sandy Alomar Jr., Mark Johnson. AJP has been a godsend. Its too bad a lot of people don't recognize that. Get rid of him and the Sox will spend the next 5 years looking for someone to take his place unless Flowers suddenly shows he can stop a ball. He is getting older, and he's close to the point a lot of catchers lose it. Trading him would be silly.

Its yet another example of be careful what you wish for. Josh Fields all of a sudden doesn't look better than Joe Crede. He suddenly doesn't look better than Juan Uribe.

Great post and Fields does make me miss Uribe.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 24, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
Speaking of Pierzynski, how much longer does he have to be our C? He doesn't do anything well anymore. Not selective at all at bat, very streaky hitter, is labeled as a good base runner but more than likely is just lucky a lot of the times, plays lazy D, has no arm, and I'm not even so sure how much of the game he actually calls (I think most of it comes from the dugout).

AJ called great games for Floyd and Richard on consecutive nights. His weakenesses are his approach at the plate and his arm behind it. He's clearly an emotional catalyst to this team, but how much is that worth, i don't know. all i know is that we've got a kid in the system whose arriving in two years. I can wait.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 24, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
Speaking of Pierzynski, how much longer does he have to be our C? He doesn't do anything well anymore. Not selective at all at bat, very streaky hitter, is labeled as a good base runner but more than likely is just lucky a lot of the times, plays lazy D, has no arm, and I'm not even so sure how much of the game he actually calls (I think most of it comes from the dugout).

What constitutes a streaky hitter for you? Since AJ has been a Sock he has been consistently hitting between 260-280 every season, always hits roughly 15 home runs, and has never struck out more than 70 times in a season. In fact, I think he is actually one of our most consistent hitters on the team. AJ never has the occassional off year you will get from Paulie, or the slow starts you will get from Ramirez or Thome. He is actually one of our most dependable hitters since he has been on the squad. You can always count on AJ to give you a 270 average, 15 HRs, 70 RBIs, and most importantly make contact at the plate. AJ was forced to hit in the 2 hole last year, a spot he is not accustomed to, but since nobody else seemed to get the job done, Guillen knew he could depend on Pierzynski who got the job done helping us win the division. I will concede he can't throw runners out very well, but let's be honest, the pitchers do not help him out. The pitchers don't hold runners on, and guys like Contreras who didn't hold runners on combined with their extremely slow deliveries didn't even give him a chance. Bottom line is, Pierzynski is far and away the best catcher we've got, and is the least of our worries.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 24, 2009 -> 09:00 PM)
Rather then complain about Perz I would start to question the reliability of our so called stud closer

You mean the closer, who we all love, but should probably trade soon while he still has value?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 24, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
You mean the closer, who we all love, but should probably trade soon while he still has value?

Sorry....but I don't trade Bobby unless we get a SH1TLOAD in return. Would make absolutley no sense. And I mean A SH1TLOAD!

Ramirez was hitting the ball hard all series and he bunted against the leftie in the 8th with a man on and nobdoy out. Then the leftie K'd Thome walked Konerko to face another leftie, AJ. Terrible managing there.

Ramirez never should have bunted.

Also Fields is terrible the ball in the 9th was not even hit hard and he had no chance when the tying run scored.

Also the three in hitters in the 9th were embarassing.

I think we need to realize, this team is just not good. They were out hit 16 to 7. They scored 9 runs in three games.

I think we need to realize, this team is just not good. They were out hit 16 to 7. They scored 9 runs in three games.

I think most of us realize this, but we are holding out hope that lightning will strike and we'll contend.

As of now, I'd give our team a D on the A,B,C,D,F scale, no doubt about that.