Sox @ Angels 5-25-09 - Danks vs. Santana

Let me add that we only trade for Figgins if we are still contending. If not, then yes, have Fields play the summer see if he can turn it around, I'm not calling him a bust just yet.

Not sure of Figgins' contract status, he would do us great this year tho.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
Let's say hypothetically that the Sox Sign Figgins...then what do we do with Viciedo (assuming Fields is out of the picture, which is a silly assumption granted). Say then we move Viciedo to OF...we wind up with Anderson and Danks fighting for a spot, and Anderson's about to be an arbitration guy, which means he'll be a bit more expensive than you want to pay for a bench guy...and although we keep benching him, Anderson's playing like a starter right now.

If nothing else...signing a guy like Figgins would need to be coupled to another couple of smart moves, because I don't like selling low on Fields and Anderson by letting Anderson walk for nothing and sending Fields to AAA.

IMO, best case scenario with Fields is that we send him down to Charlotte for most of this year, he hits (unless AAA pitchers are smart and throw him nothing but fastballs), and when we call him up for the 40 man, he hits a little better.

Than, in the offseason, some team trades one of their failed prospects for our failed prospect, a la Matt Thornton for Joe Borchard.

As for Anderson, I'm not convinced he's anything more than a 4th OF. However, he should get a lot of playing time this year for at least the next 2 months. Sadly, the only way that'll happen on this team is if either Dye is traded or if Quentin gets shut down for the rest of the season because of his heel, or both.

QUOTE (tommy @ May 25, 2009 -> 08:09 PM)
Let me add that we only trade for Figgins if we are still contending. If not, then yes, have Fields play the summer see if he can turn it around, I'm not calling him a bust just yet.

He's a free agent.

He's a FA after this year. The Angels won't trade him because they will likely be back in contention, and we won't trade for him.

Figgins is a free agent and the Angels will not trade him. They will take the draft picks.

Figgins could play just about anywhere except for C.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 25, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
I'd love to see Podsednik run up on a veteran pitcher, someone with balls. He'd hit the dirt on the next pitch. I'm confident Pedro Martinez would put one in his ear.

It's not a terrible move if you do it once in a while and slap the ball.

Pods is now doing it every single swing, and he's trying to drive the ball when he does it. Doesn't make much sense.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 25, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
Wow...

1/4 of the season is plenty of time to judge a player, especially a player entering his 4th year of MLB experience (granted two of the times were cups of coffee).

He hasn't made any positive adjustments, and it's clear he's clueless at bat. The guy is a bust.

His success in 07 was seemingly a first time around the league thing.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 25, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
IMO, best case scenario with Fields is that we send him down to Charlotte for most of this year, he hits (unless AAA pitchers are smart and throw him nothing but fastballs), and when we call him up for the 40 man, he hits a little better.

Than, in the offseason, some team trades one of their failed prospects for our failed prospect, a la Matt Thornton for Joe Borchard.

As for Anderson, I'm not convinced he's anything more than a 4th OF. However, he should get a lot of playing time this year for at least the next 2 months. Sadly, the only way that'll happen on this team is if either Dye is traded or if Quentin gets shut down for the rest of the season because of his heel, or both.

As you say that, BA is in to run for Carlos.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 25, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
Have fun on the DL CQ. Let's just hope he didn't just blow out his achilles.

Does his current foot injury tend to lead to blown achiles or do you just think that based off how he looked so much in pain?