Hey haters

Steve9347

Scotty Pods is hitting .303.

WTF? How long are opposing pitchers going to allow him to do his little mini-Ichiro step swing? He seems like he's reborn.

Oh, but fire Walker, there's no way he had anything to do with that.

I hope I don't need green for a few things up there.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see last night's game but hope he continues to do whatever he did to get four hits.

If he doesn't hit if CQ is out we are in deep s***.

So I hope Pods keeps it up. He should. Every week he's playing for his professional life.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:24 AM)
Scotty Pods is hitting .303.

WTF? How long are opposing pitchers going to allow him to do his little mini-Ichiro step swing? He seems like he's reborn.

Oh, but fire Walker, there's no way he had anything to do with that.

I hope I don't need green for a few things up there.

I think it was Bulger who threw at him last night in the 7th FWIW...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
I think it was Bulger who threw at him last night in the 7th FWIW...

Yeah, it already began. However, Ichiro has made an entire career off that swing so hopefully they forget.

Brian Anderson should play every game in center from here until the game ends, and as long as TCQ is out, Pods should be in left. If/when CQ comes back, Pods becomes a very nice backup.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:32 AM)
If BA and Pods both keep playing like this it looks like Wise will be the odd man out and end up stuck in Charlotte for a while. He couldn't have had worse luck with that injury.

Not with TCQ probably headed to the DL for awhile.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2009 -> 09:33 AM)
Not with TCQ probably headed to the DL for awhile.

Even if he's on the roster, if you have BA and Pods hitting in the high .200s and flirting with .300 (in BA's case his OBP has been comfortably over .350 for a while) I don't see how anyone could justify giving Wise too many starts over either one. I get the cynicism, but I still don't see it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)
Yeah, it already began. However, Ichiro has made an entire career off that swing so hopefully they forget.

Brian Anderson should play every game in center from here until the game ends, and as long as TCQ is out, Pods should be in left. If/when CQ comes back, Pods becomes a very nice backup.

Why is eveyone convinced that Pods should be thrown at for using this stance?

I will say one thing, I love Lexi hitting behind Pods. If Pods gets on base, having Alexei see fastballs while hitting in front of the big men is a damned good idea. With Pods on, you know whoever is in the two hole is going to see fastballs, which is why Fields there didn't make any sense.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:42 AM)
Why is eveyone convinced that Pods should be thrown at for using this stance?

I dont know if he SHOULD be thrown at for using this stance, but I can certainly see why an opposing pitcher WOULD throw at him if he is running up on the ball. Basically it is going to make him think twice before doing it again, because if he is moving his weight forward towards the ball, he is going to have that much less time to get out of the way of the ball.

A deterrent HBP, in other words

Pods and BA can both be hitting .330 and Ozzie will work Wise in to take some AB's away. Anderson was 3 for 5 so it's time to bench him to slow his momentum. That will teach him to respect authority. Anderson is 2nd on the team with an OBP of .381. Thome leads the team with .387. Maybe it's time to bat Brian second for a few weeks and see what happens.

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
I dont know if he SHOULD be thrown at for using this stance, but I can certainly see why an opposing pitcher WOULD throw at him if he is running up on the ball. Basically it is going to make him think twice before doing it again, because if he is moving his weight forward towards the ball, he is going to have that much less time to get out of the way of the ball.

A deterrent HBP, in other words

Yeah, but all he has to do is show he can still steal a base and that will end. That's why pitchers don't throw at Ichiro. There's no point in hitting a guy on purpose and having him steal second.

I saw this for the first time on Friday. Hey, Scotty has become more of a slap hitter since the last time he was here. If it works for him and his timing, good. And it seems to be working. As G&T said, he needs to stop getting picked off/caught stealing and he won't be thrown at. And I will add...if he keeps hitting, it will also stop because they are going to (gulp) have to respect him.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
He gets on base-and has hit both left & right handers

He'd just more versatile with the bat than Wise could ever be

He just needs to steal some bases...or at least scare teams into thinking he still can.

It was nice to see Scotty hitting, weird stance or not. It worked for him. And Lexi in the 2 hole is nice.... Hopefully Ozzie keeps him there after Joey had him in his line-up...

Off-Topic

Steve your sig is a bit of a spoiler don't you think?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
I remember a comical, many page thread when a bunch of fools thought worthless-ass Josh Fields should keep #22. Can we give up on him yet?

I remember a comical fool thinking that the number actually affected performance ;)

I'll admit it, Pods is doing far better than I thought he would. No question that he and Anderson are a better choice than Wise, who I hope stays behind those two in the pecking order. Trib says TCQ back by the weekend anyway, so hopefully that means Wise stays in Charlotte.

I still think Pods is pretty awful on D, and doesn't belong in CF, but his bat has been a nice surprise. His speed also helps, as long as he isn't trying to steal.