AAP: Dan Remenowsky

Remenowsky,-DanHeadshotWEB.jpg

Daniel Remenowsky, RHP

Born 4/7/1986 in Cincinnati, OH

6’5”, 245

Throws: R

Bats: R

OVERVIEW

Dan Remenowsky is one of a few undrafted free agent signees in the Sox system (others include CJ Retherford and Ehren Wassermann). I couldn’t find anything about his “stuff”, velocity, or other scouting type details, other than an SSS post quoting a “source” who says “He locates better tghan anyone else I have seen in the league”. Same post though, says he doesn’t have overpowering stuff, but that a promotion to W-S should be expected soon.

But his results, especially for someone who wasn’t drafted, are pretty eye-popping. As of this writing, at Low A Kanny, he has 31 K, against just 3 BB, in 16.1 IP. His GO/AO is also quite good, and he has a WHIP of 0.98. These peripherals were also very solid last year in Rookie ball. And he is currently the closer for Kannapolis – again, pretty surprising for a guy who no one thought to draft. Below is what little information I could dig up on his background.

PERSONAL/PRE-COLLEGE NOTES

Remenowsky attended Archbishop Moeller High School in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he played and graduated in 2004. I was not able to get any of his high school stats.

COLLEGE

Dan pitched at Otterbein College, in Westerville, Ohio (Division III), where he was first team, All-Conference in all four seasons, and was the OAC conference pitcher of the year in his last three years straight. He also holds the school record for lifetime ERA (2.44), and shutouts (10), and is 2nd all time in wins (31) and strikeouts (296). He was also third team All American in 2006, going 9-4 with a 1.94 ERA, striking out 94. In 2008, his senior season, he was named Mideast Regional Pitcher of the Year by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association. His strikeout numbers actually dropped to only 57 in 60 IP that senior year (had 94 the previous year), which may be why he wasn’t drafted.

SIGN/DRAFT

Undrafted, signed with the White Sox on 7/14/08 by Doug Laumann (Director of Scouting), who scouted him as he pitched in the Frontier League.

MINORS

Stats…

2008…

Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG

BRI APP 0 0 0.00 1 0 0 0 0 2.0 1 0 0 0 0 2 3.00 .143

GRF PIO 4 0 0.48 11 0 0 0 3 18.2 17 2 1 0 6 18 1.57 .239

This Season so far…

Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG

KAN SAL 3 2 2.76 15 0 0 0 4 16.1 13 6 5 0 3 31 2.75 .220

OTHER PROFESSIONAL

Remenowsky pitched briefly for the Windy City Thunderbolts of the Frontier League in 2008 prior to being signed. He pitched in two games (one as a starter), over 10.2 IP, putting up a 1.69 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, striking out 12 while walking 3.

REFERENCE

MILB Page

Baseball Cube

SSS Post

Otterbein College Site with a few stories

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sox seem to be doing real well with undrafted guys. I am not sure about other teams, but when you have undrafted guys like the Sox do performing so well, it really is a big nod to scouting. Especially after recent debacles with scouting in Latin America and even with recent first round picks, it's nice to see guys being drafted performing so well and undrafted ones.

Dan had a blip on 5/24 (0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K) and took a loss, but has put up three straight shut down closes again since. His numbers on the season so far (as Kanny's closer) are solid in core numbers, and outright ridiculous on some of his peripherals:

18 games, 19.1 IP

3-2

2.33 ERA

0.87 WHIP

3 BB / 36 K (that's a 12:1 K:BB ratio, and a 16.75 K/9)

1.71 GO/AO

.203 AvgA

You really can't ask for much better numbers than that from your closer. He's not at all the prototypical closer though.

Given the numbers he is putting up, you have to wonder if he put velocity back on again (see profile - his velocity and resulting K numbers had dropped his senior year). I doubt he stays in Kanny much longer putting up numbers like this.

• 1 month later...

Dan continues to dominate as Kanny's closer. Here are his June numbers...

9 games

9.1 IP

0-1 W-L

1.93 ERA

1.18 WHIP

1.14 GO/AO

.200 AvgA

12/4 K/BB

And his overall season so far...

27 games

3-3 record

11 saves

28.2 IP

21 H

7 ER

1 HR

7 BB

48 K

2.20 ERA

0.97 WHIP

1.43 GO/AO

.202 AvgA

I'm pretty surprised he's still in Kanny. He's striking out over 15 guys per 9 innings, walking just over 2 guys per 9, his ERA, WHIP and AvgA are very low. And he's not slowing down either - his last five appearances over 6 IP, he's given up three hits, no runs, no walks, and struck out 8. I've got to think he goes to W-S as soon as a spot in their pen opens up.

• 5 weeks later...

As good as Dan was in April, May and June, he had his best month of the season in July. He went on a run from mid-June until July 23rd without giving up a single run. He was finally gotten to on the 23rd with 1 ER in 1 IP, and then again on the 28th with 2 ER in 1.1 IP, but still had great July numbers: 1.88 ERA, 0.63 WHIP, .104 AvgA, and in 14.1 IP he struck out 27 batters, while walking only 3. It doesn't get much more dominant than that.

His overall numbers on the season:

40 Games

4-3 W-L

17 Saves

2.09 ERA

0.86 WHIP

.171 AvgA

43 IP

26 H

10 ER

2 HR

11 BB

75 K

I wanted his BB and K numbers to stick out. That is a K/9 of 15.7, and a BB/9 of just 2.3. Wow.

He keeps rolling. Hopefully he'll be in W-S soon.

• 1 month later...

With Kanny's regular season over (playoffs start today), its time for the August/September and end of season update...

Remenowsky had a very successful year as Kannapolis' closer, putting up numbers that range from good to downright filthy. Here are his final stats:

7-3 W-L in 54 Games

24 Saves

63.1 IP

40 H

14 ER

3 HR

16 BB

109 K

1.97 ERA

0.88 WHIP

.174 AvgA

2.3 BB/9

15.5 K/9

6.81 K:BB

These numbers are pretty ridiculous, even stronger than what he did in 2008 in limited Rookie League action. Its a mystery to me (and others) why this guy wasn't promoted to W-S at some point, but it appears (see his interview) that the organization does have a plan for him.

2010, probably he'll be in W-S, though B-Ham is not out of the question. It may depend on how they see Dan's future - he's not a prototypical closer in terms of stuff, and he was a starter in college. He may get an NRI for ST in 2010.

But before 2010, the playoffs are coming up for Kanny, so we'll see how he does in the post-season.

• 2 months later...

Remenowsky was rated as a Grade "C" prospect by Diamond Futures. Prospects on that site are ranked up to #32, then there are 21 in the Grade C category, so that would place him in the 33-53 range. This is significant for Dan because, with his age and NDFA background, many prospect lists don't even include him.

Diamond Futures grade C is described as:

A grade of ‘C’ is given to those players that fall in the 20% - 30% range. These players have a 33% of playing in the Major Leagues, and a slightly less than 10% chance of having a significant Major League career.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

End of April update for Dan...

Remenowsky started April in his usual fashion, being a knock-down reliever with big K numbers. But had two bad outings in a row on 4/22 and 4/24, which is uncharacteristic for him - he gave up 3 ER on 5 H and 2 BB in 2.1 IP over those two outings. His last three outings though, he seems to be getting back to form. He's been sharing closing duties with Gregory Infante, and playing setup man the other half of the time. Overall for his first month, he's looking OK, though not as dominant as last year:

10 G, 14.2 IP

3.07 ERA

1.40 WHIP

.250 AvgA

1.56 GO/AO

2 HR

6 BB (3.68 BB/9)

20 K (12.72 K/9)

So he's still striking out a lot of guys, but not quite as spectacularly as last season. Walks are up a little, AvgA as well, and he's given up 2 HR (gave up 3 all last season). Word on the street has been that the org would try to get him in better condition and add a few clicks to the fastball, and this may be the result of those tactic. If so, we'd hope to see the control improve a little, and the AvgA start to drop. Still early for Dan in what is a key year for him, trying to show whether he's ready to move to the next level.

• 4 weeks later...

May update on Rem...

Dan has struggled a bit this past month, giving up more hits and runs than usual, most of the damage in his last 3 outings. Walk totals are pretty in line with his norms, so are the K numbers though a bit lower. GO/AO continues to be better this year though - guys are making more contact, but many for ground outs. Not sure of the reasons. Here are his May numbers, which are not bad by any means, just aren't up to his usual dominance:

10 G, 16 IP

3.38 ERA

1.13 WHIP

.246 AvgA

2.13 GO/AO

4 BB (2.3 BB/9)

22 K (12.4 K/9)

1 HR

And totals for the season so far:

19 G, 28.2 IP

3.45 ERA

1.26 WHIP

.252 AvgA

2.00 GO/AO

9 BB (2.8 BB/9)

40 K (12.6 K/9)

3 HR

Dan doesn't seem too far off track - more bats are finding his pitches though, so it would be nice to see the core numbers come back in a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

End of season update...

Rem had surgery to repair his knee (due to a cover play at first base) in mid-July, and is still rehabbing, with hopes of being ready for ST.

His final numbers for 2010 at W-S, which were very similar to his Kanny numbers after a month adjusting...

25 G, all in relief

2-1, 5 SV

39.1 IP

34 H

12 ER

3 HR

13 BB

60 K

2.75 ERA

1.19 WHIP

1.71 GO/AO

.236 AvgA

13.7 K/9

2.9 BB/9

If all goes well with Rem's rehab, and he looks strong in ST, I hope to see him in AA Birmingham. He adjusted well to High A and finished strong before his injury, and at his age and development, that is where he should be. But he may end up back in W-S again, especially if they feel he's not quite 100%.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dan reports his rehab is going well. He's in the final stages, in Arizona. He feels he'll be unlimited when mini-camp starts in late Feb, should be right back to it by then.

I'm hoping for B-Ham for him, I'm sure he hopes for the same. They may keep him in W-S if they are unsure about his recovery, but I suspect if he starts mini-camp looking like his old self, he'll be in AA for 2011.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
Dan reports his rehab is going well. He's in the final stages, in Arizona. He feels he'll be unlimited when mini-camp starts in late Feb, should be right back to it by then.

I'm hoping for B-Ham for him, I'm sure he hopes for the same. They may keep him in W-S if they are unsure about his recovery, but I suspect if he starts mini-camp looking like his old self, he'll be in AA for 2011.

I'd say at 25-years old it's time for AA.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
I'd say at 25-years old it's time for AA.

I agree.

Keep in mind though... the way he was pitching last year, he may have seen AA at a more appropriate 24, until he got injured. He also played 4 years of college ball and then unaffiliated amateur ball before he got into the system, so he didn't get started until he was 22-23.

I'm still convinced of his talent. Assuming this injury doesn't have a permanent effect, if he can do in AA this year what he's done in A- and A+, I think you start hearing his name a lot more often.

I agree.

Keep in mind though... the way he was pitching last year, he may have seen AA at a more appropriate 24, until he got injured. He also played 4 years of college ball and then unaffiliated amateur ball before he got into the system, so he didn't get started until he was 22-23.

I'm still convinced of his talent. Assuming this injury doesn't have a permanent effect, if he can do in AA this year what he's done in A- and A+, I think you start hearing his name a lot more often.

Anyone know or think he will he get a ST invite?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)
Anyone know or think he will he get a ST invite?

He wasn't an official NRI last year, but he did spend some time in the big league camp late in the spring, and even pitched in one of the late season games. I wouldn't expect him to get an official invite, but if he's healthy, I'd bet you will see him travel with the team once or twice late in the Spring to get a look.

• 1 month later...

W-S roster was announced without his name on it. And since he's reportedly healthy, this likely means he's in AA Birmingham.

The jump to AA often separates the men from the boys. And given his relatively high age for level, and his injury last year, this is a big year for Dan. If he performs like he did in A ball at B-Ham, and especially if he can show he can consistently put his FB up over 90, then you'll see him jump onto the radar screen as a legit prospect.

• 1 month later...

First monthly update of 2011...

This was a big year for Dan - coming off a significant injury and surgery, he was already under pressure due to his relatively advanced age for level (he just turned 25 this month), and was promoted to AA despite having only a couple months of A+ under his belt. He needed to show he was healthy, and show he could make the big jump to AA and get batters out.

I'd say so far he's done that. Here are are his April numbers...

11 IP

3 H

0 R

1 BB

15 K

0.00 ERA

0.36 WHIP

.086 AvgA

0.8 BB/9

12.3 K/9

15:1 K:BB

Now, obviously, he won't keep up some of those values all season - that would be basically impossible. But if he keeps pitching even close to this well, it would be a surprise if he didn't see Charlotte some time this season.