AAP: Dan Remenowsky

During a blogger interview with Buddy Bell, someone asked about Rem...

From the Buddy Bell interview, on Remenowsky...

JM: Dan Remenowsky, we've heard about him as a guy with so-so stuff who just gets it done and his walk and strikeout numbers are insane this year. How encouraged are you by him and how aggressively will you advance him, like say if a bullpen spot opens up on the White Sox 25-man roster?

BB: He;s one of the guys that we talk about a lot. He's a kid who doesn't throw 95-96 like Sergio, Infante or Omogrosso. We talk about him because this guy throws 88-89, maybe tops out at 90 on his best day, but what we talk about all the time is that we have to get guys like that to higher levels to see if it's real or not. He's shocked us everywhere he's been. He was an undrafted player, went to Bristol and did well there. We needed somebody in Great Falls, we sent him there, he ended up being the closer. Hey, professional baseball is professional baseball, so when you're doing what he did even in Great Falls, there is something to this There's deception there, there's something going on. Plus he's coming up with an above average changeup. It's realistic to think, and you don't really want to put him in a category of a Sutter or a Doug Jones who wasn't overpowering but had great secondary changes in their split and their changeup so a kid like Remenowsky who could hit a gnat in the ass on both sides of the plates to go along with some deception, there is a chance that this kid could be throwing in Chicago and that's wuite a story for an undrafted kid. We're gonna have to figure something out right now, since he's kind of blocked off, and as long as he gets innings that's fine, but at some point we're going to have to get him to another level to see how real this really is. But the hitters normally will tell us this.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I failed to do a May end of month update, so here is one for the current B-Ham closer...

Rem has been doing in B-Ham AA, exactly what he's done at each level so far - good core results, ridiculously good peripherals. So far this season in 33.2 IP he's allowed 20 hits, 10 ER, 4 BB and 47 K. His ERA is 2.67, WHIP is 0.71, AvgA is .168, K/9 is 12.6 and BB/9 is 1.1. And just for fun, his K:BB is 11.75 - he strikes out almost 12 times as many batters as he walks.

At this point, I think the only reason he's not in Charlotte is there is simply no roster spot for him. As soon as that changes, I'd expect to see him moved up.

• 2 weeks later...
What was it that our minor league guys? The hitters will always tell us whether a pitcher is legit or not?

Into the Charlotte bandbox up against better hitters. Here we go.

I think I asked this in either a GT or the catch-all. Does Rem project as a long reliever, Set up man, or closer?

• 2 months later...

EOY update...

Quite a year from Dan. After his injury in 2010, there were doubts about him doing what he needed to do in 2011 to stay on the radar. But he arrived in B-Ham and yet again put up numbers pretty much typical for him:

26 G, 38.2 IP, 25 H, 12 ER, 10 BB, 53 K

2.79 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, .182 AvgA, 1.18 GO/AO, 12.3 K/9, 2.3 BB/9

Then he was promoted to Charlotte mid-season, signalling that the Sox felt he may be close to "ready". But there, he struggled a bit. He started well in July, but then had a bad few outings in early August where his peripherals were well off. He then seemed to groove in a but for a while, finally getting his K and BB numbers back to normal. But then he got hit around again near the end of the season. Final stats in AAA:

18 G, 28.2 IP, 28 H, 14 ER, 12 BB, 25 K

4.40 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, .252 AvgA, 0.74 GO/AO, 7.9 K/9, 3.8 BB/9

Definitely not his best stint, but also not catastrophic. He's had a history where, upon hitting a new level, after a fwe outings he usually goes on a bad run... then recovers. If this was indeed just an adjustment for him - to league, or to some coaching he received - then look for him to open up 2012 at Charlotte and do well. A strong season in AAA in 2012 puts him on the short list for the big club, who always end up calling up a few minor league relievers at some point.

He was not added to the AFL, but if any of the other guys drop out, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan end up out there.

• 6 months later...

Dan has made one ST appearence with the big club so far: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.

I talked with Dan a few weeks ago. He expects to be in Charlotte, but he's not yet sure in what role, though he seems to think probably being a setup man. He's been a closer most of his way through the system, but he has also done setup work.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
Dan has made one ST appearence with the big club so far: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.

I talked with Dan a few weeks ago. He expects to be in Charlotte, but he's not yet sure in what role, though he seems to think probably being a setup man. He's been a closer most of his way through the system, but he has also done setup work.

At least 1 of our pitchers is gonna suck this year; most of the money is on Bruney. If Dan lights up AAA the first few months of the season then he will probably be a nice addition for a playoff push. I'd like to see him force his way up here or outa here.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
At least 1 of our pitchers is gonna suck this year; most of the money is on Bruney. If Dan lights up AAA the first few months of the season then he will probably be a nice addition for a playoff push. I'd like to see him force his way up here or outa here.

This is his key year. Last year he killed it in AA, was promoted to AAA, did well for a while, but then seemed to hit a wall. My suspicion is, this is due less to AAA hitters, and more to the fact that he missed a lot of time in 2010 with the leg injury (not pitching related) and ran out of gas. 2012 will tell us which is the case. If he puts up numbers in Charlotte like he has at every other level, he'll be among the 2 or 3 names likely to be called up during the season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thus far in B-Ham, Rem has put up numbers pretty similar to what he did there in 2011 before the promotion to AAA. He's pitched in 9 games, in a variety of closing and GF roles. He had two bad outings (consecutive, in April), but was unscored upon in the other 7. His numbers so far...

13.2 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 17 K

2.63 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 11.2 K/9, 2.6 BB/9, .204 AvgA

His K rate isn't quite as dominating as 2011 (12.3), but otherwise hsi numbers are pretty similar. At this point, the only reliever in B-Ham who is having a better season is Ryan Kussmaul (another NDFA by coincidence), but Ryan's walk rate (5.7 BB/9) is a little alarming. So as slots open up in Charlotte, especially given Dan's age, I'd think he's one of the two top candidates for a promotion.

• 4 weeks later...

Monthly update...

Rem continues to put up strong numbers in B-Ham. He's not striking out as many guys as he was last year, though he's still over a K an inning... but his ERA is more than half a run lower, and hitters have a much lower average against him. WHIP is about the same as it was last year. Stats so far...

14 G, 25.2 IP, 13 H, 6 ER, 10 BB, 26 K

2.10 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, .148 AvgA, 9.2 K/9, 3.3 BB/9

He, Kussmaul and Kloess have been the dominant relievers in B-Ham thus far, and have been putting up eerily similar numbers. Those are the three relievers who would be jockeying for promotion to AAA, should the opportunity come up. They are all NDFA's.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
Circa 90 mph fastball and ~80 mph breaking pitch did a fine job in AA, hard to know whether his stuff will translate to higher levels.

Thanks for that stuff. Interesting - it appears he has abandoned the high leg kick.

Dan Remenowsky has been promoted back to Charlotte. He didn't have much left to prove in AA. Final (hopefully) numbers in B-Ham this season in 17 games:

33.2 IP, 13 H, 6 ER, 1 HR, 12 BB, 36 K

1.60 ERA, 0.74 WHIP, .117 AvgA, 9.7 K/9, 3.2 BB/9

Strikeout rate a little lower than 2011, walk rate a little higher, though both still quite good... but the AvgA dropped from .182 to a pretty amazing .117, and his 0.74 WHIP is fantastic.

What chances Rem has of being a major leaguer, rest on his performance in AAA, the only level he's yet to kick ass at thus far. If his numbers in Charlotte are similar to what he's done in AA this season and last, he may be in the discussion in 2013 for this team, or someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for end of month updates...

Dan was promoted to Charlotte, and has only appeared in four games so far, but the results are encouraging...

8.2 IP, 11 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 10 K

2.08 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, .297 BAA, 0 BB/9, 10.4 K/9

The walk rate won't stay zero, but I'd also beut that BAA goes down. This certainly looks better (so far) than his 2011 at AAA.

As has been said before, what Dan does in Charlotte this year is huge for his chances. The Sox system is pretty stacked with young relief talent, so he has a tough road. But if he can put numbers up in Charlotte somewhat like his B-Ham numbers, he could be in the conversation for a job next year. If not with the Sox, with someone else.

• 5 weeks later...

Dan is back in Birmingham after 9 games in Charlotte. Here are his numbers in that short AAA stint:

18 IP, 25 H, 9 ER, 3 HR, 3 BB, 19 K... 4.50 ERA, 1.55 WHIP, .338 BAA, 9.5 K/9, 1.5 BB/9

Obviously he got hit a bit, but I'm a little surprised he got sent back down in such a hurry. He was missing plenty of bats, just like in AA, and showed plus control, also just like in AA. And compared to his 2011 AAA stint, his peripherals were looking much better (though the core numbers were similar). Just seems to me like 9 games is an awfully short time, especially when he had improved in some areas since last year... and since, honestly, the guy has nothing left to prove in AA.

I wonder if part of the demotion is the simple fact that the Charlotte bullpen was getting too crowded (Rem was promoted when guys like Bruney, Omogrosso, Heath/Veal went up to the big club, and now they are back), and they want him to get more consistent innings.

Back in AA he's pitched twice so far, with results you'd expect from him there: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K. Hopefully he gets another shot at AAA this year, but if not, I'd expect him to be in AAA in 2013.

• 4 weeks later...

Dan back to Charlotte again. He's done a lot of driving this year.

Obviously he didn't have much more to prove in AA. He only appeared in 7 games with B-Ham this time around, and he struck out 16 in 11 innings. His (probably) final AA stats on the year: 2.15 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, .138 BAA, 4.2 BB/9, 10.6 K/9. Walks were a little higher than his usual, mostly due to one bad outing on 8/14, but his other peripherals were very good.

• 3 weeks later...

End of 2012 season update...

Dan put some miles on the road this year, bopping back and forth between B-Ham and Charlotte. His last stint at AAA he only had two appearances: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K. His overall numbers at AAA were an improvement over his 2011 stint there, lowering his ERA from 4.40 to 3.86, his BB/9 rate from 3.8 to 2.1, and increasing his K/9 rate from 7.8 to 9.0 while maintaining an almost identical WHIP. They did hit him a bit more often, with a .310 BAA. But overall, his 2012 season was a definite improvement over 2011. His AA numbers were also improved, where he posted a sub-1 WHIP, a miniscule .138 BAA, and continuing striking out more than a batter per inning.

You have to think that Remenowsky will start 2013 in Charlotte, given he has nothing to prove in AA and has shown improvement in AAA. He's also going to turn 26 during 2013's season. 2013 will be Dan's 6th year in the minors, so if I understand the rules correctly, he can become a minor league FA after the season. If things go well for him in spring camp in 2013, depending on how the relievers with the big club fall out, he may have an outside shot at making the team. But more likely he'll be in AAA again... and if he can do well there, he's got a decent chance of being a call-up sometime during the season, as the Sox always end up calling up at least a few relievers.

• 6 months later...

Remenowsky pitched briefly in the Venezuelan Winter League in the offseason, and he has been assigned to AAA Charlotte, as expected. But he is on the "DL". I use quotes because there are about 10 guys on Charlotte's DL, and it sure looks like they are just using to to alleviate crowding for now.

I've got a note in to Dan personally, to see if I can find out more about his injury, if there is any.

• 4 weeks later...