Trade Idea...

Barring a major turn around in the span of the next week or so, Beckham's promotion to Charlotte and probable move to 3B seems to signal the end of the very brief Josh Fields era here. Sending Josh down to Charlotte probably isn't going to help his career any, and once Beckham gets here he's going to stay.

Billy Beane is one of Kenny's favorite trading partners and IMO they are the perfect fit should Josh be traded. They have nothing in the minors close and they've had old veteran trash there for quite some time. At least Josh has some potential and would give them someone to hope for. I don't think we'd get a whole lot out of Josh at this point, but considering he has put up power numbers in the big leagues in the past, I don't think he's worth scraps only.

My suggestion: Aaron Cunningham returns for Josh Fields. I don't know if Oakland would do that, but he doesn't seem to be in their plans as a regular starter. Is this a fair deal, and if not, what could we get for Josh? And don't say "a bag of balls" because that means you're a retard.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 27, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
I know. I mean Jack Hannahan and Nomar Garciaparra just SCREAM Billy Beane, don't they?

Yeah, those guys cost what prospects? Jason Perry?

QUOTE (G&T @ May 27, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)
Yeah, those guys cost what prospects? Jason Perry?

It's not like Cunningham is a major haul. He's a nice player and probably a 4th OF/tweener and I'm guessing that's how Oakland sees him since he hasn't been very involved.

I'd be interested in Cunningham as a guy who is a better bet to be a 4th OF/injury fill-in/energy player for several years going forward. It would be great to have a guy that you could use regularly in that role and count on him to produce when we get into situations like we've been in this year with Carlos going down and so forth. Fields has a much higher ceiling as a HR/RBI guy but has a lesser chance of reaching it, and would certainly be worth a hell of a lot more than Aaron Cunningham if he was hitting right now. All in all, it's a gamble on both sides between two GM's who do that a lot, with Beane buying low once again during a developmental season. Doesn't seem that far-fetched to me.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
I would do it in a heart beat. Doubt the A's would, unless they are really desperate for a 3B.

Isn't Chavez's career threatened by back injuries?

Chavez is basically a 1B/DH at this point anyway, ditto Nomar who is also a 3B for them.

Their main guys over the last couple years have been Jack Hannahan and Bobby Crosby.

Hannahan is a career .226/.314/.356 hitter, while Crosby is a career .239/.308/.376 hitter. If it weren't for their ability to play more important defensive positions than LF, these guys would actually be worse than Jerry Owens (.262/.319/.305).

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (G&T @ May 27, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
Fields is the opposite of what Beane wants.

Billy Beane wants anything that is undervalued by the marketplace.

Josh is definitely that.

Not saying he would pay a king's ransom in return, but a decent OF prospect may be able to be had. Although I can't imagine the breeze generated by having Jack Cust and Josh in the same lineup...;)