Anybody see this...

alexkong04

From ESPN Website:

"Two possible buyers to keep the team in Arizona have surfaced. The NHL says it was about to present Moyes with a letter of intent from Jerry Reinsdorf, owner of baseball's Chicago White Sox and the NBA's Chicago Bulls, to buy the team when Moyes took the league by surprise by declaring Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Attorney Scott Cohen said last week that his client, Las Vegas-based businessman John Breslow, was interested in making a bid to buy the franchise and keep it in Glendale.

Asked if Reinsdorf was still interested, Daly said, "I hope so."

Any sale to keep the team in Arizona would be contingent on reworking the lease agreement with the city of Glendale, Daly said."

I wonder if it did happen how it would affect the Sox and Bulls....Less money to go around???

QUOTE (MN_Sox @ May 28, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
From ESPN Website:

"Two possible buyers to keep the team in Arizona have surfaced. The NHL says it was about to present Moyes with a letter of intent from Jerry Reinsdorf, owner of baseball's Chicago White Sox and the NBA's Chicago Bulls, to buy the team when Moyes took the league by surprise by declaring Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Attorney Scott Cohen said last week that his client, Las Vegas-based businessman John Breslow, was interested in making a bid to buy the franchise and keep it in Glendale.

Asked if Reinsdorf was still interested, Daly said, "I hope so."

Any sale to keep the team in Arizona would be contingent on reworking the lease agreement with the city of Glendale, Daly said."

I wonder if it did happen how it would affect the Sox and Bulls....Less money to go around???

I take it we are talking about the Coyotes here.

yeah this came up a few weeks ago when it was reported another buyer(I think) might be relocating the Coyotes to Ottawa, there was a little blurb about JR being interested in purchasing the Coyotes as well.

I was reading up on this and thought I saw JR's name mentioned. The other interested party was looking to move the team to Hamilton, Ontario. I wonder if Reinsdorf's intention would be to move the team, and if so where? I know that the Glendale location is terrible for that team. I don't know if the Chicago area could support a second hockey team...not that he would move them here.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 28, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)
I was reading up on this and thought I saw JR's name mentioned. The other interested party was looking to move the team to Hamilton, Ontario. I wonder if Reinsdorf's intention would be to move the team, and if so where? I know that the Glendale location is terrible for that team. I don't know if the Chicago area could support a second hockey team...not that he would move them here.

Is there a 2nd stadium somewhere they could play in? (Is there possibility of one from the olympic bid?)

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 28, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)

JR lives in Phoenix. If he buys the team, I don't see them moving.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
Is there a 2nd stadium somewhere they could play in? (Is there possibility of one from the olympic bid?)

Well if he were to move them here which I doubt it. He'd probably sell his stake in the United Center and build a bigger and better stadium somewhere for the bulls and coyotes.

QUOTE (kev211 @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
Well if he were to move them here which I doubt it. He'd probably sell his stake in the United Center and build a bigger and better stadium somewhere for the bulls and coyotes.

Yeah..I believe JR has money. It's too bad that the Sox are run like a small town team in a large market.

How about putting some of that money into the farm and hiring some better scouts.

That's the thing I hate about having to move to Minneapolis...hear all about the Twinkies and their farm and their scouting and their minor leagues...blah,blah,blah.

The only cause for concern would be how Jerry has a team that plays in the United Center, and would then own a visiting team that would also come to play in the United Center a few times a year. Other than that, I see nothing that has much to do with the Bulls and White Sox.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
Jerry Reinsdorf has a shocking amount of money, and for a guy who gets a bad rap from a lot of "fans" his fellow owners love the heck out of him.

As well as former players and current and former executives.

I'm a pretty big conspiracy theorist myself - I believe that almost everything of extreme real-world importance exists within a conspiracy of some sort simply out of necessity or perceived necessity - but even I cannot get behind the "Jerry is cheap and cares more about profit than winning" theory. He's proven himself by keeping the Bulls dynasty together, and he's proven himself by raising payroll by a large portion and going for it all after the 2005 championship. That's enough for me.

I agree with him in many ways re: contract lengths in baseball, especially for pitchers. I also agree with his stance on the luxury tax in the NBA, as there's no reason to pay the luxury tax to keep a core of mediocre players together just so that they can happily exit in the 2nd round of the playoffs each year. And even then, Jerry has said he's pay the tax if it was a special team. The man has made and continues to make lots of money in other ventures, and if he runs a profitable business in sports, why get upset? Isn't he supposed to do that?

The only issue I've ever had as a fan relates to over-slot bonuses in the MLB draft. Yes the commissioner's office frowns upon it and will even give a little slap on the wrist for it, but if the big money contenders are getting away with taking advantage of the system year after year by taking top- to mid-round talent at the bottom because of signability, then the Sox should be able to do it too. It's only fair that way. The players don't even have to pan out at all as long as they are used as trade bait. Just spending an extra $3M on the draft could end up resulting in a $15M player on a well-below market contract for several seasons simply because some other team couldn't afford to pay that player during his arb years.

Other than that, I'm very cool with Jerry running things. He's a fan just like the rest of us, and anyone b****ing only needs to look around the league at other ownership situations in order to realize that we've got it pretty good here.

QUOTE (MN_Sox @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
Yeah..I believe JR has money. It's too bad that the Sox are run like a small town team in a large market.

How about putting some of that money into the farm and hiring some better scouts.

That's the thing I hate about having to move to Minneapolis...hear all about the Twinkies and their farm and their scouting and their minor leagues...blah,blah,blah.

You can argue that the farm hasn't produced, but the Sox have invested in some picks, they just haven't panned out... also, the Sox have had a top ten payroll for the last number of years and have made serious runs at Peavy, Hunter, Fukudome and the Cabrera trade... it's not being run like a small town team.

QUOTE (MN_Sox @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)

Minny IMO has had either one of the most or *the* most pathetic ownership situation in baseball for quite a while now. How could a team routinely be soooo close to winning it all, yet constantly kick their fanbase in the nuts like the Twins have over several offseasons?

Minny's farm has always been overrated anyway in terms of impact-level talent. What they are great at though is scouting and bringing in guys that fit their system. I strongly believe that with the scouting and developmental staff they have there, if the Twins had more flexibility with payroll they'd have a lot more talent. I'm sure they know who it is on the farm that they'd like to trade, but the problem is actually getting the green light to take on salary.

The Twins have swung and miss after Ryan left with both the Santana and Garza deals, but I do think they were kind of forced in both situations. Garza was a guy whose attitude they didn't seem to like, and Young was the type of player they probably thought they needed going forward with the open-air stadium. The Santana deal was different as I don't know what the Dodgers were offering (if they even were involved), but I can't blame the Twins for taking less from the Mets in order to send Santana to the NL. And dealing Johan was still the right move since ownership wouldn't allow the type of extension he commanded.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:34 PM)
Minny IMO has had either one of the most or *the* most pathetic ownership situation in baseball for quite a while now. How could a team routinely be soooo close to winning it all, yet constantly kick their fanbase in the nuts like the Twins have over several offseasons?

Minny's farm has always been overrated anyway in terms of impact-level talent. What they are great at though is scouting and bringing in guys that fit their system. I strongly believe that with the scouting and developmental staff they have there, if the Twins had more flexibility with payroll they'd have a lot more talent. I'm sure they know who it is on the farm that they'd like to trade, but the problem is actually getting the green light to take on salary.

The Twins have swung and miss after Ryan left with both the Santana and Garza deals, but I do think they were kind of forced in both situations. Garza was a guy whose attitude they didn't seem to like, and Young was the type of player they probably thought they needed going forward with the open-air stadium. The Santana deal was different as I don't know what the Dodgers were offering (if they even were involved), but I can't blame the Twins for taking less from the Mets in order to send Santana to the NL. And dealing Johan was still the right move since ownership wouldn't allow the type of extension he commanded.

The dome also makes them look a hell of a lot better than they are IMO

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
You can argue that the farm hasn't produced, but the Sox have invested in some picks, they just haven't panned out... also, the Sox have had a top ten payroll for the last number of years and have made serious runs at Peavy, Hunter, Fukudome and the Cabrera trade... it's not being run like a small town team.

I agree recently maybe so...but I've been a White Sox fan since '83. And I still remember those days back then when the White Sox just absolutely sucked because we had no farm system, and we didn't invest in any players. Those days of long ago when we couldn't keep any talent, even home-grown talent.

I am glad that recently, the White Sox have been doing better in keeping and trying to get better players, build up the farm. But as far as I'm concerned, we still have never tried to go after the "big" name guy. And I believe that most big name high priced players wouldn't want to come to play for the White Sox.

It's like Cleveland, Kansas City, Minnesota; most big name players wouldn't want to play there...most of your good high priced players would rather goto the Angels, Yankees, and Red Sox.

I believe the White Sox have as much tradition and history as the Red Sox and Yankees, but the White Sox would never be anything close to what those organizations are.

I guess it's good to dream that some day, ballplayers would actually "want" to come to Chicago; not the Cubs!

I don't know just my $ .02, take it for what it's worth.

Maybe we need to build a new stadium???? Isn't it about time?

Edited by MN_Sox

QUOTE (MN_Sox @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
I agree recently maybe so...but I've been a White Sox fan since '83. And I still remember those days back then when the White Sox just absolutely sucked because we had no farm system, and we didn't invest in any players. Those days of long ago when we couldn't keep any talent, even home-grown talent.

I am glad that recently, the White Sox have been doing better in keeping and trying to get better players, build up the farm. But as far as I'm concerned, we still have never tried to go after the "big" name guy. And I believe that most big name high priced players wouldn't want to come to play for the White Sox.

It's like Cleveland, Kansas City, Minnesota; most big name players wouldn't want to play there...most of your good high priced players would rather goto the Angels, Yankees, and Red Sox.

I believe the White Sox have as much tradition and history as the Red Sox and Yankees, but the White Sox would never be anything close to what those organizations are.

I guess it's good to dream that some day, ballplayers would actually "want" to come to Chicago; not the Cubs!

99% of the players would come here if the Sox offered the most money and the most years, which doesn't mean they are "cheap" it could mean they plan well.

How many WS have the Yankees won since they started handing out those mega contracts? How great are those contracts in the back-end? Would you want the Sox to be like the Cubs are and tied up by some bad contracts for the next few years? Torii Hunter was a big FA when the Angels signed him, and he was going to come to the Sox but LAA offerred more (can't remember if it was $$ or years or both).

Say what you want about the Yankees, nobody comes close to the tradition they have.

Edited by SoxFan562004

I don't believe the bond issue on this stadium has even been paid off yet. It has been less than 20 years.

QUOTE (MN_Sox @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 29, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
99% of the players would come here if the Sox offered the most money and the most years, which doesn't mean they are "cheap" it could mean they plan well.

How many WS have the Yankees won since they started handing out those mega contracts? How great are those contracts in the back-end? Would you want the Sox to be like the Cubs are and tied up by some bad contracts for the next few years? Torii Hunter was a big FA when the Angels signed him, and he was going to come to the Sox but LAA offerred more (can't remember if it was $$ or years or both).

I agree completely with SoxFan562004. Look over the list of FAs the last few years - the Sox have been players in many of those cases, but would you really want to be stuck with the contracts that some of those guys got? The KW-led Sox have excelled at identifying talent via trade (e.g., Garcia, Contreras), signing undervalued mid-level FAs (e.g., Dye, AJ), and not being the highest bidder on the "big name" talent. I'm very glad the Sox aren't paying Hunter what the Angels are or paying Soriano what the Cubs are. Just because another team is dumb enough to blow their payroll on one or two players doesn't make the Sox a "undesirable" team for FAs.

I assume you are joking about the new stadium, since ours is only 18 years old and has just under gone 5 years of renovations.

And this issue is really only tangentially related to the Sox - seems like this should be in the Sports Pub.

J.R. was recruited as a buyer by Gerry Betteman (sp?), the NHL commissioner. The whole point of JR buying the Coyotes would be to keep them in Glendale, not to relocate them somewhere else. The whole reason the Coyote ownership filed for Chapter 11 is because the NHL would not approve the sale of the team to the founder of BlackBerry, who stated he wanted to move the team to Canada, near the Toronto and Buffalo teams.

Betteman knows JR from is days in the NBA. The NHL presented the cause of buying the team to JR. I am sure just like the Bulls and Sox, JR put together a group of investors, and gave an offer to the Coyotes. That offer is no where near as large as the offer from the BB founder, thus to force the sale of team to the party that will give the most capital to the bankrupt team, they filed chapter 11. The NHL is suing to prevent this. Also the financing for the bankruptcy filing is being provided by the BB founder.

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ May 29, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
J.R. was recruited as a buyer by Gerry Betteman (sp?), the NHL commissioner. The whole point of JR buying the Coyotes would be to keep them in Glendale, not to relocate them somewhere else. The whole reason the Coyote ownership filed for Chapter 11 is because the NHL would not approve the sale of the team to the founder of BlackBerry, who stated he wanted to move the team to Canada, near the Toronto and Buffalo teams.

Betteman knows JR from is days in the NBA. The NHL presented the cause of buying the team to JR. I am sure just like the Bulls and Sox, JR put together a group of investors, and gave an offer to the Coyotes. That offer is no where near as large as the offer from the BB founder, thus to force the sale of team to the party that will give the most capital to the bankrupt team, they filed chapter 11. The NHL is suing to prevent this. Also the financing for the bankruptcy filing is being provided by the BB founder.

Hamilton may not be the BEST place for an NHL team, but Canada (or the Northern US) is the RIGHT place. While hockey in the South has succeeded in some places, Dallas and LA comes to mind. It hasn't in most places. Phoenix will never be a hockey town. Time to think about Quebec City, Winnipeg, and Hartford again...especially now that there's a salary cap and floor. Puts the Canadian dollar on even ground.