Sox vs. Athletics - 7:11PM on WCIU

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
That is the thing that is killing me about Betamit, he isn't hitting either! At least if he was generating runs, you could justify his existence on our roster. With Nix around to play 3B, I'd rather see Lillibridge around than Betemit. Yup, I said it. At least Brent can stop a baseball with a glove.

He'd hit if he played more. Its not easy when you are getting 19 AB a month.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
Let us know when you get the notarized official pick submitted.

That will not happen because I refuse to participate in pick to click activities....officially that is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
He'd play more if he could stop a baseball with something other than his wrist.

That hasn't stopped a lot of guys from playing. He is brutal with the glove, but he couldn't always have been this bad.

QUOTE (Downtown518 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
Castro's debut, BA is back....

Pods - LF

Missle - SS

Dye - RF

Thome - DH

PK - 1B

Fields - 3B

Anderson - CF

Castro - C

Nix - 2B

WHAT!!!! But what about Ozzie's vendetta!!!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Maybe Beckham comes up for Betemit and rotates between 2B, 3B, and SS. He probably could also play 1B.

Betemit has 0 options left and would have to be released in that case. Not sure I'd complain.

But jerking around Beckham and moving him from position to position when he's just learning to hit big league pitching...poor idea.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
But jerking around Beckham and moving him from position to position when he's just learning to hit big league pitching...poor idea.

Personally, I don't have much of a problem with this, as long as Beckham is comfortable with it (and I imagine he is). As long as the kid has a good head on his shoulders, then I think there's no reason he couldn't handle a little 3B or 2B or whatever.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
Betemit has 0 options left and would have to be released in that case. Not sure I'd complain.

He's been playing all the positions in the minors. What's the difference? If he can catch the ball and hit better than what's in Chicago, its time to move him up. He's coming up in September anyway.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
He's been playing all the positions in the minors. What's the difference? If he can catch the ball and hit better than what's in Chicago, its time to move him up. He's coming up in September anyway.

The difference is that you don't take a kid who is still learning the professional game and give him too many things to worry about. At the minor league level there is little to no pressure and he is expected to learn once he is here everything will be increased.

By the way he is averaging 1 error per game played at 3B in AAA. If he is expected to play the position well, maybe the Sox should let him learn the position before he is brought to the show.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
The difference is that you don't take a kid who is still learning the professional game and give him too many things to worry about. At the minor league level there is little to no pressure and he is expected to learn once he is here everything will be increased.

By the way he is averaging 1 error per game played at 3B in AAA. If he is expected to play the position well, maybe the Sox should let him learn the position before he is brought to the show.

Josh Fields didn't learn how to field in the minors. I read here countless times how Robin Ventura couldn't field in the minors, and even Joe Crede. So they didn't learn in the minors.

Edited by Dick Allen