braves acquire nate mclouth

chisox2334

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
The Braves, Dodgers and Red Sox, IMO, are the best in the business at identifying, drafting and developing talent.

include the Marlins and you're right.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
Man Jordan Schafer.. another guy who is going to be really good. Luckally he can play anywhere in the OF.

He's really been struggling and just got sent to AAA.

McClouth and then the Glavine move today... interesting.

Guess Atlanta is serious about competing this year to make these types of in-season adjustments.

It'll be interesting to see what else is coming.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make another deal for a starting pitcher... like Cliff Lee.

Good trade for both teams. McLouth was the best pure hitter I saw on the Pirates when they came into town, but he isn't anything special. He should consistently hit a solid .260-.270 with a .350-.360 OBP, around 20 homers, and 90+ driven in, and around 20 SB. Pretty good, but not jaw dropping. I think he's best suited for the 5 spot in a lineup. Not the teams best hitter, but a good run producer.

The Braves didn't give up any of their top guys, did they?

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
He's really been struggling and just got sent to AAA.

McClouth and then the Glavine move today... interesting.

Guess Atlanta is serious about competing this year to make these types of in-season adjustments.

It'll be interesting to see what else is coming.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make another deal for a starting pitcher... like Cliff Lee.

Don't forget about Tommy Hanson the best pitching prospect in baseball being called up too.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
Andrew McCutchen is their future. They are also high on Brandon Moss. And hopefully Walker and Alverez etc.. when theyre ready/everything goes right.

Thoroughly unimpressed with what I saw from Moss when the Pirates came to town.

Also, for such a top prospect, McCuthcen has put up very "meh" numbers in the minors. I'll wait until I see him play in the bigs to make more of a judgment though.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)
Don't forget about Tommy Hanson the best pitching prospect in baseball being called up too.

Tommy Hanson has stud written all over him.

But I think the Braves sense that the NL East is there for the taking.

And their minor league system is sooooooo deep, and they need a lefty starter sooooooo bad...

And with Lee one year from walking away from Cleveland (which has their 2009 white flag all but ready to fly)...

There just seems like a marriage there IMO, if the parties can get together.

I gotta say, not impressed with what the Pirates got back from a statistical standpoint. Morton seems like he could be solid. Hernandez could be a decent guy but hits for little power and doesn't walk. Locke is meh.

If we wanted McLouth, we could have easily gotten him. I'd venture to say that Poreda would be a better haul alone then all three of Morton, Hernandez, and Locke.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
Sold high on McClouth imo.

I personally don't think he tops last years performance. Never really showed the pop in the minors until he got the callup.

Depending on the prospects Id have to give pitt the edge.

Plenty of doubles though translating to more power later on, I remember him being one of their better prospects

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Dewayne Wise is a better defensive CFer than Nate McClouth (atleast in regards to what he did last year). Take that into consideration.

McLouth is alright out there, and that's good enough considering his bat.

Not at all impressed with the haul the Pirates got. Great move by the Braves and I do wonder quietly what the Sox were thinking? I'd have spun Poreda and he'd have been a better prospect than any of the one guys the Braves dealt. Morton isn't that impressive, IIRC, the Sox had a shot at him and opted for some other guys in the Javy trade.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 01:37 AM)
Not at all impressed with the haul the Pirates got. Great move by the Braves and I do wonder quietly what the Sox were thinking? I'd have spun Poreda and he'd have been a better prospect than any of the one guys the Braves dealt. Morton isn't that impressive, IIRC, the Sox had a shot at him and opted for some other guys in the Javy trade.

I think we are probably saving Poreda for a trade involving a pitcher.

I'd love to have McLouth though. He'd add another lefty bat with some pop that this lineup needs in the future.

Having grown up in Pittsburgh and being a hard-core Pirates fan until the strike year and the dissolving of a once great team, I'm frustrated with the Bucs always trading away their good/great players. I know it's all about the money, but this is a team that has a wonderful stadium and a oddly-big fan base in an awesome city. With their trading of players, it's like they are nothing more than a farm team for the rest of the league.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
i wonder if Pittsburgh is willing to depart with Freddy Sanchez for the right price?

Pittsburgh would love to trade Sanchez. He has an $8 mil option for 2010 that automatically vests with 635 PA or 600 PA + All-Star appearance this season (which he's likely to get). Jack Wilson, Sanchez, and Adam LaRoche are all players the Pirates would love to trade. They are putting an incredible emphasis on the draft and Latin America. They just opened a $4 mil academy in the DR, are looking to sign the best Latin American prospect (a 16 year old SS) in the neighborhood of $3 mil, and have the 4th overall pick in the draft. Any payroll outside of Doumit and Maholm can probably be had.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
Having grown up in Pittsburgh and being a hard-core Pirates fan until the strike year and the dissolving of a once great team, I'm frustrated with the Bucs always trading away their good/great players. I know it's all about the money, but this is a team that has a wonderful stadium and a oddly-big fan base in an awesome city. With their trading of players, it's like they are nothing more than a farm team for the rest of the league.

Well guys like McClouth arent players you build around (IMO), to me they are good players but not fantastic and can help a club like the Sox or Braves to win a championship, but theyre not a Quentin or Pujols or some player like that in which you need to build around.

I know that its been a rebuilding process for a long time there, but I think they are finally going to start doing it the right way, by actually investing in the international market and the draft, if they do this then they can turn it around in a fairly weak division (especially a division that has such weak farm systems). If they draft well the next two or three years and sign some impact players from overseas you could see the Pirates ready to contend the same time when the Cubs are REALLY to old and will be hurting from a lack of farm system, and same could be said with the depleted Astros and the Cardinals dont look that strong either. The Brewers are really the only team with abundant young talent and even then alot of that could be gone soon with big contracts looming for their guys.

McLouth wasn't the greatest player, but he was the Pirates best player, and they traded him for practically nothing. And now their replacing him with a rookie who has a career .285 BA in the minors and doesn't hit for much power, and will likely have a bad K:BB ratio in the majors.

The Pirates are still a joke of an organization.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
McLouth wasn't the greatest player, but he was the Pirates best player, and they traded him for practically nothing. And now their replacing him with a rookie who has a career .285 BA in the minors and doesn't hit for much power, and will likely have a bad K:BB ratio in the majors.

The Pirates are still a joke of an organization.

Their #4 and #7 prospect with Charlie Morton as an add-in is a nothing package? Huh...

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
Their #4 and #7 prospect with Charlie Morton as an add-in is a nothing package? Huh...

I'm looking at the minor league numbers, and they aren't crap. Morton could be decent, as he has done good in AAA, but then again, before he hit AAA, he got hit good in all his previous stops and had an ERA of over 6 in the majors. Could go either way, depending on if he just figured out minor league hitters, or if he's figured it out altogether.

Jeff Locke has had 1 good year in the minors, but other than that, he has sucked and his peripherals are terrible.

Hernandez might hit for a high average, but he doesn't walk a lot, and has really no power. He's the best prospect the Pirates got back in return, and he isn't all that great of a prospect, IMO.

You don't trade your best player for a mediocre group of prospects.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
I'm looking at the minor league numbers, and they aren't crap. Morton could be decent, as he has done good in AAA, but then again, before he hit AAA, he got hit good in all his previous stops and had an ERA of over 6 in the majors. Could go either way, depending on if he just figured out minor league hitters, or if he's figured it out altogether.

Jeff Locke has had 1 good year in the minors, but other than that, he has sucked and his peripherals are terrible.

Hernandez might hit for a high average, but he doesn't walk a lot, and has really no power. He's the best prospect the Pirates got back in return, and he isn't all that great of a prospect, IMO.

You don't trade your best player for a mediocre group of prospects.

I really have to disagree with you on Gorkys. He seems to be an excellent CF with game-changing speed and a pretty high contact rate. His BB rate needs to come up, and if it does he's a prototypical lead-off man coming from a defensive position where he also gets it done with the glove. And he's more than holding his own as a 21-year-old in AA.

I wanted this guy in the Javy deal, him and Morton actually. I really like this deal for Pittsburgh because I was never exactly enamored with McLouth anyway. He's a good player but his defense is rated poorly and I don't think he has the power to really fit in a corner. He's interesting because of the contact he makes plus the speed, but I dunno, I get that rich man's Eric Byrnes feeling about him. Their numbers and tools are very similar.

I think this is a great deal for Pitt because I see them giving up a good player who seems far greater simply because of the s***hole he used to play in. They will get back Morton who I see as a 3/4, Gorkys who I see as a lead-off guy, but probably more of the Taveras mode, and another guy in Locke who I don't know about. But for me it's 2 solid everyday players who will be ready when they need them, plus a prospect, for one solid everyday player who they don't need right now. For Atlanta I think it's fair value and McLouth will help them now. I think fans of both teams will call this deal a win for both sides in due time.