BECKGAME THREADHAM: CLE @ CWS, 7:11pm WCIU

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
If Beckham went even 1-3 on 3 pitches, people wouldn't be complaining. I'm not saying it's a good practice or approach to have, but when you see that high 80's fastball of Pavano's coming right over the middle, it's not a terrible idea to take a good cut and hope to hit the ball hard somewhere.

Ok, so when he first walks up to the plate, never having seen Pavano before, you believe it was a good idea for him to swing at Pavano's high 80's fastball before even gauging it ONCE? And after the second Ab, if I'm Beckham, I know I would have thought "hey, maybe I should work the count on Pavano next time. He has a low pitch count and I haven't even seen his secondary pitches yet."

And you're right, I probably wouldn't have been as tough on him if he went 1-3 on three pitches. But he didn't, so we'll never know.

All I know is, good players don't do that. Sure, Vlad Guerrero is known for his first pitch hacking, but he also has great plate coverage and power. The result of Beckhams first three ABs were Chris Getz like outs -- flyout to right, groundout to SS, and a flyout to shallow CF.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't successful through the minors first pitch swinging.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I'm not down on him, I'm just adding him to the list of Sox newcomers who never get off to a good start. I think Thome or somebody whacked a homer on Opening DAy in his first appearance. There have been exceptions, but it seems our debut guys always struggle out of the gate.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
Ok, so when he first walks up to the plate, never having seen Pavano before, you believe it was a good idea for him to swing at Pavano's high 80's fastball before even gauging it ONCE? And after the second Ab, if I'm Beckham, I know I would have thought "hey, maybe I should work the count on Pavano next time. He has a low pitch count and I haven't even seen his secondary pitches yet."

And you're right, I probably wouldn't have been as tough on him if he went 1-3 on three pitches. But he didn't, so we'll never know.

All I know is, good players don't do that. Sure, Vlad Guerrero is known for his first pitch hacking, but he also has great plate coverage and power. The result of Beckhams first three ABs were Chris Getz like outs -- flyout to right, groundout to SS, and a flyout to shallow CF.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't successful through the minors first pitch swinging.

I never said it was a good idea.

But I'm not going to be overly critical of a top prospect in his second MLB game being a bit antsy at bat, trying to get his first hit and get the monkey on his back. Beckham ain't stupid, he knows there's a lotta pressure on him by the fans. I have a feeling after the first hit comes, we'll see them start coming in bunches, and him having some very good AB's.

At least the pitches he swung at were hit-able pitches and not balls way over his head or a curve in the dirt.

Edited by BearSox

I’m not one to make these kinds of impulsive declarations, but I think Greg Walker might need to answer for this. I’m not sure that Major League hitters can actually be taught, but it’s Greg Walkers’ job to sure as hell try. These shutouts are unacceptable.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
Hes not piling up the Ks so he isnt overmatched

He isn't overmatched at the plate. He is hitting a bit too early in the count. His body language is composed. He doesnt look like is panicking. His fielding has been fine. Its not like Fields is doing anything right now.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
I'd love to see a study on Sox newcomer debuts.

It'd prove once and for all if Sox newcomers suck out of the gate before producing.

Dustin Pedroia hit .191 and was the MVP last year. Stop with the panic. I would challenge you to find the list of guys who hit the ground running from their promotion on. Guys struggle when they first come up, it happens. Take Ozzies advice he gave about Wise, when Beckham comes up to bat. Close your eyes.

I actually haven't seen him bat yet. I know he'll be fine, but as fans when a guy goes ohfer two nights in a row and team gets blanked twice, it's natural to fret a bit. Nobody's quitting on him. It'd just be fairytale to see him do something right off the bat.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
I'd love to see a study on Sox newcomer debuts.

It'd prove once and for all if Sox newcomers suck out of the gate before producing.

Robin Ventura was 0-40 something out of the gate

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
He isn't overmatched at the plate. He is hitting a bit too early in the count. His body language is composed. He doesnt look like is panicking. His fielding has been fine. Its not like Fields is doing anything right now.

Fields was 13 for his last 39. I'm not going to defend his overall performance, but the timing of Beckham's promotion was odd. I'm not saying Fields being on a hot streak should hold Beckham back, but it's interesting how it went down.

I'm sorry, the White Sox line-up without Quentin and Dye is beyond weak. If your pitching against it, who wears on you besides Thome and Konerko? Pods isn't going to scare people. Ramirez can do some damage but you know it will only be a couple of pitches, same with AJ. BA is going to scare no one. Wise wouldn't scare an 8 year old. Beckham and Getz are rookies and will bite at most pitches close. Unless they hit them in the seats, putting together multiple hits to score runs with the current line-up is not going to be easy.

2007 we moaned and rightly so about guys like Erstad leading off and Andy Gonzalez. Now we have had guys like Brent Lillibridge and Dewayne Wise getting AB. I really don't know what Ozzie is trying to prove with Wise even on the team. If he's going to call out others, he needs to call him out for stinking up the joint. He really has no business on a major league roster right now. Unfortunately the organization is not yet deep enough to supply even an adequate replacement for him.

I thought they would be in first place after this homestand. Now I just hope they can break even. One third of the season is OVA and the Sox are on a 75-87 pace.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
seriously, how in the hell can Greg Walker still have a job?

If there's a worse situational hitting team than the Chicago White Sox, I'm kinda wondering who it might be.

Case in point tonight -- first inning.

Podsednik: double.

Ramirez: hit the ball to right side to advance runner? No. (Fly out that happens to be deep enough to advance the runner)

Thome: bring runner in with another of your stupid hits into the shift on the ground or even a fly ball? No. (Strike out.)

Yay! Yay! Go White Sox situational hitting! Glad you're working on this in the Spring and during the year. What a load of bulls***.

Edited by Friend of Nordhagen

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
Ozzie said like one sentence to the media, and walks off the podium

hilarious, f*** you ozzie

Ozzie's too stubborn to do what's right. KW is the one that needs to be asked about why both Walker and Wise escape the consequences of poor job performance.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Fields was 13 for his last 39. I'm not going to defend his overall performance, but the timing of Beckham's promotion was odd. I'm not saying Fields being on a hot streak should hold Beckham back, but it's interesting how it went down.

Yes, that was odd. Maybe our brass was fed up, though, with a singles hitting third baseman. No power from Josh. I think it's worth an explanation, though. It's almost as if you'd rather see Beckham replace Lexi at ss and move Beckham to second and leave Fields at third.