Where are the Wilson Betemit defenders?

Cubano

A few of you got into my case when I wrote during ST that this guy was a liability. Where have you gone now?

I had the same opinions about this guys and I wrote let the kids with talent play over these bombs.

Bret L.

Betemit

Owens

Fields's faith is to be determined.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:50 PM)
A few of you got into my case when I wrote during ST that this guy was a libility. Where have you gone now?

I had the same opinions about this guys and I wrote let the kids with talent play over these bombs.

Bret L.

Betemit

Owens

I don't think you're the only one who had reservations about Lillibridge or Owens... so... no big props there. But congratulations on the Betemit call. Job well done.

i love this.

Cubano you wanted Viciedo to be on the team instead of Betemit (or something like that) and I think we see now how bad an idea that would've been. Also people (me included) weren't really defending Betemit himself, just the ridiculousness of the idea that he somehow wouldn't be on the team coming out of ST after he was just traded for. I don't think anyone saw him hitting .200 either though so that didn't help. If he hits better, he's probably still on this team, s*** glove or not. That didn't happen, and he was one of the worst fielders this team's seen in a while, so bye-bye.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:50 PM)
A few of you got into my case when I wrote during ST that this guy was a liability. Where have you gone now?

Bret L.

Betemit

Owens

Funny how Fields' "fate" has changed. You had Viciedo playing 3rd base. In fact, you thought Ozzie was playing games with him. He hasn't been much better defensively at 3rd than Betemit and only recently started to hit in AA. The other, Owens and Lillibridge, most knew, unless they were under the spell of KW can do no wrong, they were garbage.

But to be fair, you were absolutely right about the back-up 3rd baseman. Betemit was awful defensively. His offense, I believe would have been just fine if given at least some regular AB and letting him face RHP, but every error he made seemed to haunt the White Sox.

One month does not make a season guys especially with a young player. We would never know how Viciedo would had produced at the MLB level. He could had been sent to A ball and struggle there too. He could had been a spot 3B, 1B, RF or DH with the Sox. How about if Beckham does not produce in the big league its first time around and Viciedo does produce? That could happen despite Beckham having better minor league numbers than Viciedo initially.

I am just picking on you guys.

Lastly, Viciedo is catching up with his teammates who started the marathon very fast but now Viciedo is in their rear view mirror. Viciedo is second in stolen bases. :o Viciedo was a subpar defender in Cuba. In the USA, he has been the same. I will give the benefit of the doubt because he is still young, but my patience is waning.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...ue&sid=t247

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
You gotta post more, Cubano. You're a great contributor. I'd agree with the above posters: no one really liked Betemit. It was pretty apparent in late spring that the kid couldn't field at all. His bat was a disappointment though.

I got a daughter who I tutor with her school work and it is paying big dividends for her. I just had a son. I am driving a mini van to complete my american dream. Thinking about buying a second home. I am too busy living the American dream. I wish I had more time. I come to this blog almost daily and read your posts though.

American dream: :headbang

1. Have a job.

2. Have a home.

3. Drive a mini van.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
I got a daughter who I tutor with her school work and it is paying big dividends for her. I just had a son. I am driving a mini van to complete my american dream. Thinking about buying a second home. I am too busy living the American dream. I wish I had more time. I come to this blog almost daily and read your posts though.

American dream: :headbang

1. Have a job.

2. Have a home.

3. Drive a mini van.

You should have talked to Hunter S. Thompson while he was alive. You could have saved him some time.

I love the progress Viciedo is making. But I'm firmly in the 'let's not rush him' camp.

His batting average is up to .286, but his OBP is only .303 and OPS only .684??? There's a flashing warning sign in there somewhere.

Plus he has 13 errors so far.

But, he's been making good adjustments and improving quickly.

So, I'm very excited about him... just not ready yet to see him in Chicago. I think that would be a mistake for both he and the Sox.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
Cubano definitely needs to post more. He did call Betemit being a bust for this team. His hitting never came around.

It's not like anyone expected Betemit to be a world beater, just a contributor. It's possible that Betemit might not even have made the team out of spring had Nix not gone down.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
It apperas Dayan is no different than most cubans with his refusal to walk. It'd be nice to see that slugging % get up there too.

.286/.303/.381/.684 OPS in AA

Latin players in general do not walk out of the island. That is the saying!

Escobar and Kendry are kind of patient. They work the count though they do not have to many BB to show for it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
It's not like anyone expected Betemit to be a world beater, just a contributor. It's possible that Betemit might not even have made the team out of spring had Nix not gone down.

I was hoping for something like a Juan Uribe contribution, even with the bat. We didn't even get that out of him.