6/7 Cleveland Indians @ Chicago White Sox 1:05 CDT - CSN

qwerty

Walker has got to go. I hate saying it because he was one of my favorite players when I was a kid, but this team has the most pathetic approach to hitting I have ever seen. We drew 8 walks today and still were swinging at every crappy pitch that came up there. In my opinion, that we especially suck at hitting unkown pitchers and at situational hitting underscores the fact that there is something fundamentally wrong with the approach and preparation going on with the Sox. I don't know if you can lay all of that at Walker's feet, but he does have to share some of the blame, and since we aren't going to fire Ozzie (nor should we) nor are we going to make significant roster changes, I don't see what else we can do to shake things up that could potentially have the same positive impact.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
In my opinion, that we especially suck at hitting unkown pitchers and at situational hitting underscores the fact that there is something fundamentally wrong with the approach and preparation going on with the Sox.

That is 100% correct and both things that the hitting coach is responsible for.

This up and coming series vs Detroit will decide what direction this team takes. If we lose 3 or more games, I expect a blow up- and rightfully so. The team currently put together doesn't give me or any other Sox fan reason for hope.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Looking back in FutureSox, seemed everyone wanted Smoak or another power corner guy. The immediate posts following Beckham being picked were "Meh", "Dammit!", "barf" and "Boo". Funny looking back.

To be fair, it's not exactly like Justin Smoak is struggling.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=475253

Although it appears that he's much better hitting from the left side.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Looking back in FutureSox, seemed everyone wanted Smoak or another power corner guy. The immediate posts following Beckham being picked were "Meh", "Dammit!", "barf" and "Boo". Funny looking back.

My reaction was meh, as I wanted Smoak (who has been raking), but I've grown to love Slayer.

I want some re-tooling on the coaching staff.

First one is easy, fire Walker.

Get rid of Ozzie Jr... AKA Joey Cora. I got nothing against Joey, but he seems to be basically Ozzie, and I'd like to see a differing view point in there. Plus, the work he's done with the infielders does not seem to be working out.

Jeff Cox needs to be moved from 3B. Too many times we've had runners either stray off for no reason, him making stupid decisions holding or sending runners, etc. I like Cox though and think he's a great guy to have around as an infielders coach or something.

Not loving Harold as the 1B coach. I loved it when we had Rock as the 1B coach though. I think the 1B should have a better idea about stealing bases and knowing the finer points of it. I would love to see Ricky Henderson at this spot, but I heard at the end of 07 with the Mets, he wasn't great in the clubhouse. However, I'd love to bring Ricky in as a roving minor league hitting and base running instructor, if he wouldn't fit in as a 1B coach. I wouldn't want to see Baines go though. Maybe move him back to bench coach or as an assistant hitting coach or something.

JD, Jenks, Dotel, maybe Linebrink, probably Anderson, one of Getz or Fields, Colon, and maybe Pierzynski.

The younger guys (Getz, Fields, Anderson) would likely be part of a bigger deal if they were dealt.