THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
I really like the Phegley pick. If he can stick behind the plate with his offensive potential, at the very least, you got someone with a lot of trade value.

I really just hate the Holmberg pick. I'm not gonna let this one go, as I really wish we would have drafted Walla.

It's not like he had an awful draft, but it's just not good. We got two guys who could easily bust in Mitchell and Thompson, not to mention Thompson is said to be a very tough sign. We got one guy who could wind up being a pretty bad pick if he can't stay behind the plate. We got Holmberg who is said to be a tough sign and provides little upside. And we got Morgado who could wind up being a wasted pick.

If you take out Holmberg and replace him with Max Walla or Wil Myers and replace either Mitchell with Brothers or Arnett OR replace Thompson with Garrett Gould, I think this would have been a really good draft.

It's funny that these are the complaints this year. In previous years the complaint was we took the safe pick without the high ceiling (Broadway, McCullough)) or we took them because they were easy to sign.

The Sox take the high ceiling guys or the tough to sign guys and now there are complaints about that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
It's funny that these are the complaints this year. In previous years the complaint was we took the safe pick without the high ceiling (Broadway, McCullough)) or we took them because they were easy to sign.

The Sox take the high ceiling guys or the tough to sign guys and now there are complaints about that.

I like our draft so far, but not in love with it. I love going after high upside guys, and going after a Scheppers or some type of player like that (one who requires more money but is essentially one of the top prospects) would really help our system. That said, we got some high upside guys, and I hope they can progress through the system.

Also, even though I like high upside guys, and athletes are usually in this category, I want baseball players who are athletes, and hopefully Mitchell falls into this category more than the Athlete Who Plays baseball type.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
Interesting. He topped out at 89 in the short MLB video. It didn't make sense for a 6'4 kid to not be able to throw even 90 consistently.

Everyone says he maintains his velocity deep into games which is a big plus for a prep arm as well.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:09 AM)
No, he doesn't. He dips his head several inches when he swings, which opens up a ton of holes. I hate to be pessimistic, but you most likely just saw his scouting video today and know next to nothing about him, so being "extremely pissed" is pretty laughable.

Yeah, he does have that flaw in his swing, but everything else is really pretty. He uses a combination of linear and rotational for his swing, has real good weight shift, gets into a good launch position, and has a quick bat. I'm no professional scout or anything, but I've been watching and studying baseball and mainly swings for most of my life, and he has a real good swing.

And yeah, I don't know much about him. All I got are quick scouting videos and a few scouting reports, but that's the only thing we fans have to go off of. We don't have time or funds to go around the country scouting prospects. However, I'm not gonna hold back my displeasure because I don't know a ton about him.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:09 AM)
Look, it's great that everyone here is following the draft, but let's be honest with ourselves, none of us are scouts. It's silly to be worked up about this because none of us has a goddamn clue about who is better than who because anyone can read BA and watch advanced scouting videos. It's simply asinine for anyone on this board to say such and such a team had a better draft than us because you simply have a limited knowledge of something that teams have put thousands of manhours in to. Save yourself the disappointment and wait a year to start handing out grades and complaining.

Why? Why can't we hand out grades now? You want everyone to be like the guys on the MLBN show and say every pick is awesome? I'm gonna voice my opinion. Odds are they will be wrong because I don't know much about them, but hell, professional scouts are wrong all the time. I'll revisit in a year, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving out grades right away based on first impression. This way you can set expectations right away and adjust to how they do in their first go around in professional ball.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
Yeah, he does have that flaw in his swing, but everything else is really pretty. He uses a combination of linear and rotational for his swing, has real good weight shift, gets into a good launch position, and has a quick bat. I'm no professional scout or anything, but I've been watching and studying baseball and mainly swings for most of my life, and he has a real good swing.

And yeah, I don't know much about him. All I got are quick scouting videos and a few scouting reports, but that's the only thing we fans have to go off of. We don't have time or funds to go around the country scouting prospects. However, I'm not gonna hold back my displeasure because I don't know a ton about him.

Why? Why can't we hand out grades now? You want everyone to be like the guys on the MLBN show and say every pick is awesome? I'm gonna voice my opinion. Odds are they will be wrong because I don't know much about them, but hell, professional scouts are wrong all the time. I'll revisit in a year, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving out grades right away based on first impression. This way you can set expectations right away and adjust to how they do in their first go around in professional ball.

Because you just graduated high school and know almost next to nothing about all of these players. You saying that this draft is good or bad means absolutely nothing because that's where your knowledge level about it lies. You're absolutely entitled to state your opinion, but at the same time I have the right to cut you down to size because your opinion has little if any merit. You're showing prejudice because the Sox brass have different opinions than your own, even though your opinion is strictly off of gut feeling.