THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My belief is Sox will draft J. Mitchell out of LSU. Most of soxtalk will be upset, claiming that he strikes out too much. Then, Hawk and KW will talk about it and the comparison to Carl Crawford will come out. Soxtalk will then slowly shift to liking the pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
My belief is Sox will draft J. Mitchell out of LSU. Most of soxtalk will be upset, claiming that he strikes out too much. Then, Hawk and KW will talk about it and the comparison to Carl Crawford will come out. Soxtalk will then slowly shift to liking the pick.

Actually who I would want just based on reading, don't know too much about all the players.

Just feel we need an outfielder.

Give me one of: Wheeler, Evert, Mitchell or Arnett.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:15 AM)

Come on, most everyone discussing the draft over in the FutureSox forums would be okay with Mitchell. He's the best collegiate athlete in the draft.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
Well it is on a channel everyone gets though.

You'd be surprised how many homes do not have VS.

And MLB Network is penetrating markets left and right. Plus, its on the Web, and almost every household has the internet.

A ton of prep players have just made this draft interesting, putting out large demands. We might see the fewest number of prep guys taken in the 1st round in the history of the draft, given the economy.

Make sure you check out the FutureSox forum for all the draft profiles and tons of draft discussion to get all caught up before the draft starts today.

Oh and one guy the Sox have been linked to, Prep Outfielder Mike Trout (no strong ties, more tied to them based upon needs by other columnists), is demanding $2.5M, which is .1M less than Beckham got.

A few prep pitchers are asking for Porcello money, Donovan Tate $6M, and the two top collegiate position players are both asking for a lot of money (Grant Green and Dustin Ackley; 5-10M). Crow is only asking for around $4M, which is about what he was offered last year by the Nats. Scheppers would probably ask for a similar amount. I think the prep demands, combined with a stellar final outing in St. Paul, might have just put Scheppers back into the top 10-15 picks, but I reiterate if he's there and the Sox pass, I'll be f***ing pissed.

Arms like his are rare.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
A ton of prep players have just made this draft interesting, putting out large demands. We might see the fewest number of prep guys taken in the 1st round in the history of the draft, given the economy.

Make sure you check out the FutureSox forum for all the draft profiles and tons of draft discussion to get all caught up before the draft starts today.

Oh and one guy the Sox have been linked to, Prep Outfielder Mike Trout (no strong ties, more tied to them based upon needs by other columnists), is demanding $2.5M, which is .1M less than Beckham got.

A few prep pitchers are asking for Porcello money, Donovan Tate $6M, and the two top collegiate position players are both asking for a lot of money (Grant Green and Dustin Ackley; 5-10M). Crow is only asking for around $4M, which is about what he was offered last year by the Nats. Scheppers would probably ask for a similar amount. I think the prep demands, combined with a stellar final outing in St. Paul, might have just put Scheppers back into the top 10-15 picks, but I reiterate if he's there and the Sox pass, I'll be f***ing pissed.

Arms like his are rare.

Arms like his are rare, but doesn't his recent stress fracture in his shoulder make you concerned? That would be a HUGE gamble IMO.

Edited by GreatScott82

Doesn't look like Storen will be around for us... All these prep players and their high demands are pushing up all the college players. Looks more and more like Mitchell will be the pick, and even then, the Twins might take him at 22.

BA's Latest Mock has the Sox going with:

23. WHITE SOX. Chicago gets linked more to athletic outfielders than any other position, but don't be surprised if it pounced on Arnett or Jenkins should they somehow fall. Otherwise, the White Sox will probably go for Williams or Mitchell, both of whom should sign for slot. Sanchez could go here as well, and this could be the high-water mark for fast-rising Oklahoma righthander Garrett Richards.

Projected Pick: EVERETT WILLIAMS.

Arnett, Jenkins, Sanchez and Williams all have profiles within. This is the first I've seen of Sanchez here and I wouldn't be opposed to the Sox grabbing a guy under slot if they go over slot with one of the preps that falls later in the draft.

Garret Richards is a guy we haven't talked about though. He was a stud in the Alaskan Summer league and he consistently pitches in the mid 90's with a power curve (some call it a slurve). Below is what PG had to say about him.

TOP JUNIOR PROSPECT: Garrett Richards, rhp. Richards struggled in a closer’s role for the Sooners as a sophomore, but had an outstanding summer in the Alaska League to regain his prospect status. The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Richards works in the mid-90s and throws a power curve that is a legit strikeout pitch when he throws it for strikes. He could be rewarded by being a high-round pick in June if he comes close to repeating his summer success

Oh and Tanner Scheppers isn't selected in the 1st round. Again, please please please pony up the dough. Even if you have to go under slot everywhere else, pony up the dough to get Scheppers.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
Doesn't look like Storen will be around for us... All these prep players and their high demands are pushing up all the college players. Looks more and more like Mitchell will be the pick, and even then, the Twins might take him at 22.

Richards is a guy that fits the Sox MO. Would be better value in the supplemental round, but a mid 90's fastball with a power breaking ball is a very good thing. Tends to leave pitches up and has given up a lot of HR's because of it.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
Arms like his are rare, but doesn't his recent stress fracture in his shoulder make you concerned? That would be a HUGE gamble IMO.

Yes, but the Sox have spent so much money on plenty of other guys. In this case your spending 4M to take a chance on a guy whose going to be under your control for a very very long time. I see nothing wrong with it, imo. If he checks out with the doctors than he's fine in my book.

Why is Tanner Scheppers falling out of the 1st in all these mocks?

Also, I'd love to get Tony Sanchez if those are our only options. Worst case scenario, he's a Kelly Shoppach type of player, and Kelly Shoppach had a ton of trade value with the Red Sox and is a solid major leaguer.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
Yes, but the Sox have spent so much money on plenty of other guys. In this case your spending 4M to take a chance on a guy whose going to be under your control for a very very long time. I see nothing wrong with it, imo. If he checks out with the doctors than he's fine in my book.

I couldn't argue with that. The dude throws in the mid 90's and has nasty stuff.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
Why is Tanner Scheppers falling out of the 1st in all these mocks?

Also, I'd love to get Tony Sanchez if those are our only options. Worst case scenario, he's a Kelly Shoppach type of player, and Kelly Shoppach had a ton of trade value with the Red Sox and is a solid major leaguer.

I think teams just flat out have concerns about giving a guy with an arm injury a big time bonus. Kind of funny though since Bedard will get a fat contract this off-season despite a history of arm injuries. Wood got paid forever, etc etc.

Either way, if you draft Scheppers out of the 1st you got to know you have the leverage. He isn't going to want to wait around another full year.

From what I've gathered, these are some of the prep's with borderline ridiculous bonus demands:

Tate, Purke, Shelby Miller, Jiovanni Mier, and Bobby Borchering.

However, I don't think the later 3 have demands that match Tate and Purke.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)

That was Kyle Gibson who had the stress fracture, not Tanner Scheppers.