THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
The best part is how he commands his fastball. That will allow him to be a very sucessful big league starter as well as enable him to move through the minors quickly. Him or Scheppers would fit in great with Danks/Floyd/Richard/Poreda/Buehrle (obviously that is 5 guys, but injuries happen and some guys don't pan out or move to the pen).

Yes. I'm probably wasting my energy on the thought of it. He probably won't fall to 23 (certainly shouldn't) and knowing the Sox, they won't take him anyway.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
Couldn't agree more. Money for young guys shouldn't be a factor, as you're talking about 3 years of extremely cheap contracts for them before arbitration.

Think of it this way though, you spend $6M on the top pick or $3M on it and than have an extra $3M to give to guys that slid. I'd probably go that route more often than not, however, MLB frowns upon you going over slot money so you'd put yourself in a poor position there and we know the Sox tend not to do that. That said, considering the high picks we had, I'd rather spread it nicely through a few guys, unless that rare talent came, in which case you give them that money. Scheppers and Crow are guys that just are head and shoulders above everything else on the board at 23, imo (if they are in fact there). Gibson, maybe, but I don't put him on the same level as Scheppers/Crow, but I also don't think Gibson asks for as much money, imo.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
Don't they already have Ryan Doumit?

I read that they took him this early because he'd be an easy and cheaper sign compared to some and they want to spend more money on international FA's when the signing period begins. Doumit's been on the DL for most of this season but he should be back soon, so I do question this pick.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
Are we expected to be going for a catcher with one of our first few picks? I hope we do. I would have liked Sanchez somewhere in there, and everything I read seemed to think he was grossly overpicked there.

They are planning on signing the top July 2nd guy. Ie, a big time International Signing (the signing period begins on July 2nd).

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
Yeah, but the low def channel works if you don't have a high def TV.

The piped in clapping after every draft pick is awful.

I know, I was saying that they only broadcast one feed in HD, some channels have a standard feed and an HD feed. ESPN and MLB only have HD feeds.