A MESSAGE TO THE SOXTALK COMMUNITY

Administrator

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of this negativity....and the WSox are only 5.5 games out of 1st.

It's a long season, guys. We all have this football mentality that every game feels like a mus win game. That's just not the case over a 162 game season. You've got to be able to tread water and learn to have a temperament for the long season.

I feel that's what makes this site so great is that most of the posters have a baseball mentality and understand this...but it has been getting away from some of us lately with all of our recent success through the years.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
In addition to a slimming down of personal attacks, I wouldn't mind seeing an end to the "I'm too good for this thread" or "Not this again" posts that have been becoming more frequent as this season wears on.

Good point...for example, threads discussing Greg Walker's job secruity after getting shut out in 3 of 4 games by terrible pitchers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
Ah thanks! I wasn't going to chime in on this thread, but as a known pessimist, there's a lot that can be learned. There's a way to articulate your thoughts so that they're not a personal attack on a player, and rather more of an observation. Something that I have tried to do more of and will continue to do is make a comment so that it opens up for further discussion. Saying "Ozzie is pathetic" isn't quality posting and myself and others should improve upon that. As long as people follow the rules, I've not seen anyone get suspended/banned for stating any opinion regarding the team (and that's what separates this site from WSI). I tell this to numerous mods/admins, and that is that if they have a problem with my style of posting, please PM me and I'll be happy to do whatever I can to improve the quality of the posts.

I would also add the quality of conversation in the chats is better than that of the game threads, as there's some great baseball people in there (kyyle, daa, flash, SSI, etc.).

I don't get to go into chat that often, but seriously, these guys know their s*** in there. About everything... :D

It's a really nice place to discuss baseball. In the three or four times I've gone in during the season, I've learned some stuff, even if I disagree.

But, those mods and admins are assholes. :lol:

Thank you to all the Moderators. I was getting a bit taken back by all the negativity and am glad we can get this aired out and get back to White Sox baseball talk. I appreciate the opportunity to correspond here with other Chisox fans

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
In addition to a slimming down of personal attacks, I wouldn't mind seeing an end to the "I'm too good for this thread" or "Not this again" posts that have been becoming more frequent as this season wears on.

As long as we agree that Joe Crede is he greatest thirdbaseman in the whole wide world :headbang :lol:

Some posters have a vision of this place like a neighborhood bar, others as an ivory tower. The reality should be somewhere in between. While we do develop a certain level of friendship with dozens of posters here, there are hundreds more who are also here. Many of the problems occur when "outsiders" enter into friendly bar banter between friends.

I believe raising the level of discussion, by force, to some high academic standard would be death to the site, equally troubling is lowering it to a drunken, profanity filled, standard. Restating what has already been said, but perhaps in a different way, can we reach a level of a Thanksgiving dinner with grandma and grandpa and the local Pastor?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
Some posters have a vision of this place like a neighborhood bar, others as an ivory tower. The reality should be somewhere in between. While we do develop a certain level of friendship with dozens of posters here, there are hundreds more who are also here. Many of the problems occur when "outsiders" enter into friendly bar banter between friends.

I believe raising the level of discussion, by force, to some high academic standard would be death to the site, equally troubling is lowering it to a drunken, profanity filled, standard. Restating what has already been said, but perhaps in a different way, can we reach a level of a Thanksgiving dinner with grandma and grandpa and the local Pastor?

What the hell are you talking about Tex?LOL

That conversation would be boring. We are not asking for it to be like Thanksgiving dinner with grandma and Pastor Busby,are we?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
What the hell are you talking about Tex?LOL

That conversation would be boring. We are not asking for it to be like Thanksgiving dinner with grandma and Pastor Busby,are we?

Sounds like the beginning of a dirty joke.

"Did you hear the one about the grandma and grandpa who had Thanksgiving dinner with the local pastor?"

/insert punchline