A MESSAGE TO THE SOXTALK COMMUNITY

Administrator

To all our members:

This is something that as an administrator and moderator group that we feel we need to address.

We all understand you are frustrated with the team, we see the same things you do, etc. However, ST is not a place you can just come and dump on because you are angry.

Most site readers are intelligent and articulate enough to discuss on this site without resorting to name calling or excessive negativity just because you can. The thing we all need to remember is that we are all White Sox fans (well, except a few accepted outliers).

We do not want to ban people, we do not want to warn people, but this site needs to bring the level of quality posting up from this point forward. ST has always been a place that welcomes the free exchange of ideas from its members and we want to continue that tradition. However, XYZ player sucks! with no other discussion, ABC poster is an idiot simply because you disagree with that poster, etc. - these types of posts need to stop.

The main thing that we have always asked of our posters is being respectful - even when being "negative". Please think about posting in respectful tones, even when there are disagreements, and it will help the level of discussion here. Disagreements while having discussions are even encouraged - let's just refrain from the "you suck, you're an idiot" types of posts without any other comments to say.

Thanks for your understanding as we try to bring up the level of discussion on the boards.

If you have questions or concerns, PM one of the admins or mods.

-- Soxtalk Admins and Mods team

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe I actually saw somebody say "f*** Buehrle" yesterday. I don't remember who it was and I'm not going to look it up so I can dime them out, but come on. There's too many posts like that lately, it's pretty embarrassing.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
I can't believe I actually saw somebody say "f*** Buehrle" yesterday. I don't remember who it was and I'm not going to look it up so I can dime them out, but come on. There's too many posts like that lately, it's pretty embarrassing.

it was me, no shame here, ill admit i get perhaps way too frustrated when we play poorly or guys arent playing well

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
it was me, no shame here, ill admit i get perhaps way too frustrated when we play poorly or guys arent playing well

Oh, I wasn't trying to put you on the spot, that particular post just made me do a double take. I was like, Buehrle? Of all players?

As the owner of the site I've long stood out on the fact that Soxtalk is one of the best, most unique forums of its kind. Nowhere can you get more up to the second news on the White Sox on the web. Not from the Tribune, White Sox Official Site, or any other White Sox Forum.

Soxtalk has tons of great opinions and inside connections, both at the major league and minor league level. We have a community filled with die-hard fans and while that is the biggest positive the site has to offer, it can also become the biggest negative as we've seen recently where the diehard fans are all having a difficult time handling the teams poor performance on the field.

We reiterate that it is very important to continue to handle yourself in an appropriate manner when posting on Soxtalk. I also personally ask that if you don't have something nice to add, please stay out of the conversation. Whether your jumping in just to say oh that guy sucks or your an idiot, or you've already given your opinion on the subject um-teen times, try to stay out as that sort of discussion can railroad not just the specific topics discussion but other Sox related discussions going on that day.

It isnt' easy to watch this team play right now, but our posters aren't making it any easier to follow Soxtalk, where we should be talking about new ways to make this team a winner or discussing what is going wrong, not just making short-sighted one liner type of posts.

Bottom line, we ask each and every member of our great community to take a look at there posts and make themselves better, whether you have 70,000 posts or 10 posts. And remember, no one, and I mean no one on this sites knows everything so everyone is entitled to their opinion.

We'd also like to here from you guys as to things you think could be done to make the discussion better (whether it is stuff we as mods/admins can implement or if it is more a comment on what they like, dont' like, etc). We really are always striving to be better and I'd like to point out our coverage of the Minor League draft and our user of Twitter to keep everyone that wants to be on top of the Sox selections.

We'll be rolling out that feature on the Soxtalk end as well to ensure those that want to receive twitter updates regarding any major White Sox news :)

One of the reasons why I love Soxtalk so much is the chance to expand my baseball knowledge and to share my opinions with others, and let me tell you I have learned a vast amount here in my time. My post count doesn't reflect the time I have spent on here, for I actually read almost every thread here, and quite a few in the Filibuster, SLaM, and the other sport forums.

I do so because of the posters who come here, for we here at Soxtalk have a great group of posters who love the White Sox and have fascinating opinions that if you give a chance can learn from. I for one do not want to lose this to a watered down version of what once was, and I hope that past, current, and future posters also share my pleasure of what Soxtalk can and should be, and will uphold the integrity and intellect that can be found here.

Thanks Soxtalk.

I also want to say this coming up is in no way related to who reads the site. The Sox read this (staff, players, families). That's been the case forever.

This is more to do with good posters either being driven away or never signing up because what they read in PHT is a never ending snark fest. We aren't expecting saintliness and for everyone to say everything is alright. What we would like to see less of is stuff like "f*** Ozzie Guillen and f*** this organization". Stuff like that's no better than spam.

To reiterate, we aren't looking for a hunky doory attitude. Just look back to the middle of May where I made a post to blow this team up. I don't believe in the 2009 White Sox, but it is how you handle your belief. Don't be a constant b**** fest of nothing, make suggestions, point out the flaws in an articulate and non-obsessive manner (ie, don't post it 100 times or 1000 times, cause it will get old, we get the drift).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
To reiterate, we aren't looking for a hunky doory attitude. Just look back to the middle of May where I made a post to blow this team up. I don't believe in the 2009 White Sox, but it is how you handle your belief. Don't be a constant b**** fest of nothing, make suggestions, point out the flaws in an articulate and non-obsessive manner (ie, don't post it 100 times or 1000 times, cause it will get old, we get the drift).

Another great example is posts like those that said after the game to dump Getz, Fields, Linebrink and about half of the team. I can assure you that statements like that drag down the quality of the site and do nothing to foster any sort of discussion.

f*** you guys. This is stupid.

In all actuality, I love that on this website we can debate each other on almost anything and any post should be subjected to everyone else's opinion. It's really difficult to debate, "f*** Wise.", though. (but who would want to?)

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
I'm sure Jason would agree with me.....if you go into the FutureSox forum, that's some of the best discussion on this website.

It is the thing I'm always most proud of. Partly because of my love of being an amateur scout who has had job offers to make it a career. Unfortunately, it wouldn't pay the bills, lol.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
f*** you guys. This is stupid.

In all actuality, I love that on this website we can debate each other on almost anything and any post should be subjected to everyone else's opinion. It's really difficult to debate, "f*** Wise.", though. (but who would want to?)

Actually... my opinion on that... up until recently it felt like people were arguing with me about that for no reason, trying to force me to like him and accept that he is and should be in the everyday lineup, making me have to talk about it all the time and making it seem like I dislike him more than I actually do. Anderson arguments go the same way, people who can't stand Anderson jump on people who do like him (and vice versa), making them have to justify why they feel that way, and seem like they like Anderson more than they actually do. Personally, I think Anderson is a better player than Wise and I'm not going to be convinced otherwise, but I don't like Anderson much more than I like Wise... I still want a new CF just like everyone else. I've tried to stop talking about it and I wish other people would too. Lay off the hyperbole, strawmen, and putting of words into others' mouths, and these arguments might be more tolerable.

And Joe Crede... oh my f***ing god, Joe Crede, he doesn't play for the Sox anymore.

Edited by lostfan

I brought this up several days ago in the chat...

I am the last person to bring up the 2005 world series, this is actually only the second time since they won that i can recall mentioning it. The sox winning the world series forever made me a better sports fan and made me appreciate entertainment as a whole better. Prior to the sox being victorious in the 2005 world series i lived and died with every pitch, shot, pass. I was one of those people that you did not want to be around after a loss, which carried over until the next day. Being a chicago sports fan i was more miserable than i felt joy, which just made no sense. The reason we all want to be entertained, by any form of entertainment, is because for a little bit we want to forget reality and feel good, not the polar opposite.

Basically, baseball is just a game (hard to believe at times, i know) but we have a greater game to worry about, and that would be the game of life. The majority of individuals care far more about anyone in the entertainment business than any of those specific individuals care about their entire fan base. Think about that for a moment.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
I brought this up several days ago in the chat...

I am the last person to bring up the 2005 world series, this is actually only the second time since they won that i can recall mentioning it. The sox winning the world series forever made me a better sports fan and made me appreciate entertainment as a whole better. Prior to the sox being victorious in the 2005 world series i lived and died with every pitch, shot, pass. I was one of those people that you did not want to be around after a loss, which carried over until the next day. Being a chicago sports fan i was more miserable than i felt joy, which just made no sense. The reason we all want to be entertained, by any form of entertainment, is because for a little bit we want to forget reality and feel good, not the polar opposite.

Basically, baseball is just a game (hard to believe at times, i know) but we have a greater game to worry about, and that would be the game of life. The majority of individuals care far more about anyone in the entertainment business than any of those specific individuals care about their entire fan base. Think about that for a moment.

I agree with your sentiment on this one. I think the 2005 WS forever changed the way I view the Sox and sports, for the better.

One of the reason I do not post more is because forumers like this one. As you can see, I had a friendly encounter with him in this thread. He is even a Moderator. Almost every time I write something, this guy comes with the Cuban thing. Is not Freddy Garcia a wash out player at this point?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...72114&st=75

I really do not have time for this kind of forumers.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
One of the reason I do not post more is because forumers like this one. As you can see, I had a friendly encounter with him in this thread. He is even a Moderator. Almost every time I write something, this guy comes with the Cuban thing. Is not Freddy Garcia a wash out player at this point?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...72114&st=75

I really do not have time for this kind of forumers.

Cubano, I think we all understand you love your country and countrymen, it was a joke and if you actually read a majority of my posts, you could see that i joke around a lot in my posts, dont take everything so seriously.

One of the reason I do not post more is because forumers like this one. As you can see, I had a friendly encounter with him in this thread. He is even a Moderator.

Well noone said ST was perfect.. No offense Kyle, I still love you. :P