Arbitration rules

BamaDoc

I can't find the rules on arbitration. I am interested in how much can a salary be cut and if a team is unhappy with the arbitration result can they release the player or are they obligated for that ammount.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
I can't find the rules on arbitration. I am interested in how much can a salary be cut and if a team is unhappy with the arbitration result can they release the player or are they obligated for that ammount.

(3) The club's salary offer to a player under its control may not be less than 80% of the player's total compensation from the prior year, and may not be less than 70% of his compensation from 2 years earlier. These rules, however, do not apply to free agents who are offered arbitration.

Read more: http://baseball.suite101.com/article.cfm/h...0IKFp4wJS&C

QUOTE (TLAK @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
(3) The club's salary offer to a player under its control may not be less than 80% of the player's total compensation from the prior year, and may not be less than 70% of his compensation from 2 years earlier. These rules, however, do not apply to free agents who are offered arbitration.

Read more: http://baseball.suite101.com/article.cfm/h...0IKFp4wJS&C

So in this case the sox could offer someone such as Thome more than a 20 percent cut. This gets to my second part, if the arbitrator ruled in the players favor can the club just cut the player? It wouldn't quite seem fair but I am wondering.

Edit sorry I see this is addressed later in the link. You could cut him owing 30-45 days pay depending on when cut. Thanks for link.

Edited by BamaDoc