Cubs fans and Sox fans... not so different?

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
Is it sad that I can tell you the starting lineup of the 1983 Sox and the 1984 Cubs?

:(

I remember watching Steve Garvey hitting the ball through Durham's legs. I remember my parents laughing at it too. :D

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 02:07 AM)
I remember watching Steve Garvey hitting the ball through Durham's legs. I remember my parents laughing at it too. :D

My dad was a Cubs fan then, and that was the last straw. He decided to be a Sox fan forever after that. Hence, me.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 08:50 PM)
Chicago Tribune - Sports Demo's

White Sox fans have the lowest graduation rate, but should Cub fans be arguing that since they continue to continuously support a losing tradition?

Merging with the thread I started a few days ago on the same article.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 12:07 AM)

It was actually Tim Flanerry who hit the fateful ground ball that fatefully went through Durham's fateful legs.

QUOTE (NO!!MARY!!! @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 09:00 AM)
It was actually Tim Flanerry who hit the fateful ground ball that fatefully went through Durham's fateful legs.

Beat me to it. Garvey hit the game winning homer in the previous game.

The Cubs have the market cornered on drunk frat boys? At one time Bill Veeck called Sox Park the worlds biggest tavern, and he was the owner.

Knowledgeable fans? My guess is both teams have about the same number. Fans of coming to a game as a big party? About the same. Casual fans visiting a ball park regardless of who is playing? Wrigley (see national coverage during the day). Casual fans as business entertainment? Cubs. Suburbanites with "concerns" about visiting the city? Cubs. Casual fans wanting to root for the "right" team because of some identity issues? Cubs.

Knowledgeable baseball fans wishing their team had all that income from the fans being made fun of here? Me.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 08:04 AM)
Cubs fans' favorite talking point is how Sox fans are all violent white trash and they love to bring up the Ligue incident. They love to ignore that they do things like this JUST as often, it doesn't get publicized.

And in the same breath, they love to tell us to "stop living in the past" regarding 2005. Which only goes to show that if Cub fans are good at one thing, it's talking out of both sides of their mouths!

it doesn't surprise me that the fanbases are in reality very similar. many of the supposed differences are rooted in the same north side-south side stereotypes that are only tenuously related to reality.

if there's a difference i'd say it's in the size of the fanbases. the cubs undoubtedly have a larger one, imo because of their long affiliation with wgn. much of that fanbase is out-of-state, though. i think if you looked at fans in the metro area it would probably be relatively close.