What about bringing over Barry Zito?

wilmot825

So I was reading the paper today and I saw Barry Zito was pitching tonight against John Lackey, and I had an idea. What about Kenny trading the Giants for Zito? Now I know people are going to say that it won't happen because of his large contract. As we have seen in previous trades (Griffey for one), KW finds a way for the trading party to pick up part of the contract. If that were to happen, think about Zito working with Don Cooper over the rest of this season and spring training. Cooper fixed a mess of a pitcher who has turned into the most effective middle-reliever in all of baseball, Matt Thornton. Not too mention Bobby Jenks, turning Gavin Floyd into the pitcher he was drafted so high to be, reviving Dotel's career, and also pulling everything he could out of that '05 pen with Cotts and Cliff. I would see the SF Giants being so happy to hear that another club is interested in the train-wreck Barry Zito. Although I never thought about who the Sox would have to deal to SF, I think they would be willing to deal him for less than one may think. If Zito came to the Southside and became the pitcher he once was in Oakland, that could post the Sox over the top. However this could be just a huge failure and be a headache for Sox fans as it is for Giants fans. What do you think?

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
So I was reading the paper today and I saw Barry Zito was pitching tonight against John Lackey, and I had an idea. What about Kenny trading the Giants for Zito? Now I know people are going to say that it won't happen because of his large contract. As we have seen in previous trades (Griffey for one), KW finds a way for the trading party to pick up part of the contract. If that were to happen, think about Zito working with Don Cooper over the rest of this season and spring training. Cooper fixed a mess of a pitcher who has turned into the most effective middle-reliever in all of baseball, Matt Thornton. Not too mention Bobby Jenks, turning Gavin Floyd into the pitcher he was drafted so high to be, reviving Dotel's career, and also pulling everything he could out of that '05 pen with Cotts and Cliff. I would see the SF Giants being so happy to hear that another club is interested in the train-wreck Barry Zito. Although I never thought about who the Sox would have to deal to SF, I think they would be willing to deal him for less than one may think. If Zito came to the Southside and became the pitcher he once was in Oakland, that could post the Sox over the top. However this could be just a huge failure and be a headache for Sox fans as it is for Giants fans. What do you think?

No way in hell the Sox ever trade for Zito unless he has one year remaining on his contract and we swap one of our bad contracts for him.

My guess would be that if we will be trading for any pitcher this season who is not a prospect, it would be a very well defined starter that could take either ace or #2 status in a rotation. I don't see the Sox taking on a project this year since we already have a mix of Richard/Colon/Contreras who we're really not sure if they're gonna work or not. Why add another unsure, yet potentially good starter.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
My guess would be that if we will be trading for any pitcher this season who is not a prospect, it would be a very well defined starter that could take either ace or #2 status in a rotation. I don't see the Sox taking on a project this year since we already have a mix of Richard/Colon/Contreras who we're really not sure if they're gonna work or not. Why add another unsure, yet potentially good starter.

Yeah, here's the way to think about it...we can have Richard/Poreda in our rotation for virtually nothing, or we can have Zito in our rotation for some combination of a prospect and a good amount of money...and presumably there's a link between the quality of the prospect we send out and the amount of money San Francisco would pay.

Basically, as a rebuilding project, although he's been decent this season....there's absolutely no reason to give up anything of value to get him while at the same time taking on his contract; you can either develop people from the minors or find them on the scrap heap for cheaper.

The only way I'd take Zito's contract on is if the Giants also included someone else I wanted. Like Zito + Posey + Cash for Richard, or something like that. You can laugh at that all you want, but that's what I'd require before thinking about paying a chunk of his contract.

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
4 years left on the $126 million....means like $72 million is left...(3 years x $18mil=$54mil...$126mil - $54mil= $72mil left...estimated) Yah it looks not possible, but we have seen KW do some amazing deals.

How about we just pour a ton of human excrement onto a pile of $72 million, cover it in gasoline, burn it, and flush it down the toilet? That way, it'll stink less than Zito.

Getting Zito would be a great idea. I also think the Sox should use all of the money that is coming off the books this next offseason to sign Carl Pavano to a 6 or 7 year contract at about $18 million a year. Maybe trade Flowers and Allen for Dontrelle Willis. That would be a pitching staff.

You could probably get Big Papi for a song right now. Bring him in.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
Getting Zito would be a great idea. I also think the Sox should use all of the money that is coming off the books this next offseason to sign Carl Pavano to a 6 or 7 year contract at about $18 million a year. Maybe trade Flowers and Allen for Dontrelle Willis. That would be a pitching staff.

You could probably get Big Papi for a song right now. Bring him in.

That's a pretty good staff if it's June 15, 2004.

I never thought i'd say this. But as of right now. I'm okay with our rotation. If Contreras continues to show flashes of his successful past were set for the remainder of the year. Buerhle has been solid all year, Danks is coming back stronger each start, Floyd seems to be coming back and Richards is probably one of the better 5th starters in the league and he keeps showing signs of maturity. If Contreras goes down (i hope not), we have young stud Aaron Poreda waiting in the wings.

Now if KW wants to add an ACE going forward for next year and beyond, i'm all for it. Guys like Dan Haren come to mind but thats about it. Guys like Barry Zito wouldn't improve our staff tremendously at all. I think if KW were to add another SP, it would have to be a top of the rotation ACE type of pitcher.

What this team really needs is a bat. I've said if before and i'll say it again, Freddy Sanchez would be a perfect addition to the top of the order. I like Getz and i think he would really be a solid player in this league, but we need a little more consistency at the top of our lineup. He has an 8 million option for next year- which is very reasonable. With him and CQ coming back and the rejuvinated Bronze Titan- were right back in the mix in a very below average division.

Sanchez 2B

Ramirez SS

Dye RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Quentin LF

Pierzynski C

Beckham 3b

Pods/Anderson CF

Thats a better lineup than anyone else in the AL Central. . .

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
I never thought i'd say this. But as of right now. I'm okay with our rotation. If Contreras continues to show flashes of his successful past were set for the remainder of the year. Buerhle has been solid all year, Danks is coming back stronger each start, Floyd seems to be coming back and Richards is probably one of the better 5th starters in the league and he keeps showing signs of maturity. If Contreras goes down (i hope not), we have young stud Aaron Poreda waiting in the wings.

Now if KW wants to add an ACE going forward for next year and beyond, i'm all for it. Guys like Dan Haren come to mind but thats about it. Guys like Barry Zito wouldn't improve our staff tremendously at all. I think if KW were to add another SP, it would have to be a top of the rotation ACE type of pitcher.

What this team really needs is a bat. I've said if before and i'll say it again, Freddy Sanchez would be a perfect addition to the top of the order. I like Getz and i think he would really be a solid player in this league, but we need a little more consistency at the top of our lineup. He has an 8 million option for next year- which is very reasonable. With him and CQ coming back and the rejuvinated Bronze Titan- were right back in the mix in a very below average division.

Sanchez 2B

Ramirez SS

Dye RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Quentin LF

Pierzynski C

Beckham 3b

Pods/Anderson CF

Thats a better lineup than anyone else in the AL Central. . .

I've always liked Freddy Sanchez. He's a perfect 2-hitter.

If we get back into the race, why not?

Just say no to Zito!

Kenny Williams deserves a lot of credit for not being tied down to horrible contracts like Zito. Many teams around the league have these crap contracts filling up their rosters [just see the Cubs]. I just read today that Dontrelle Willis still has like $22 million due to him thru 2011. Thank goodness KW has had the foresight to not get bogged down in some bad contracts [like Rowand, Fukudome,] when a lot of people were calling for him to open the checkbook.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
Thank goodness KW has had the foresight to not get bogged down in some bad contracts [like Rowand, Fukudome,] when a lot of people were calling for him to open the checkbook.

And some good fortune too (Torii Hunter)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 12:43 AM)
And some good fortune too (Torii Hunter)

Hunter, at the sox price, not the price the LAA signed him for, would have been an OK deal. His wouldn't have been the kind of deal that haunts a team like Zito's.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
Hunter, at the sox price, not the price the LAA signed him for, would have been an OK deal. His wouldn't have been the kind of deal that haunts a team like Zito's.

If the Sox are already cutting salary this season...that could have really hurt us.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
Just say no to Zito!

Kenny Williams deserves a lot of credit for not being tied down to horrible contracts like Zito. Many teams around the league have these crap contracts filling up their rosters [just see the Cubs]. I just read today that Dontrelle Willis still has like $22 million due to him thru 2011. Thank goodness KW has had the foresight to not get bogged down in some bad contracts [like Rowand, Fukudome,] when a lot of people were calling for him to open the checkbook.

If I recall correctly, the Sox offered more money to Fukudome than the Cubs, but he elected to go there because they didn't want him to play center field whereas we did and he was to be the first Japanese player over there, but not here. So that one goes in the luck column, but yes your point is still very true.

I think in the past a lot of Sox fans were angry that he wasn't ponying up big money for pitchers, but in reality his rule about pitching contracts is very good and true.