What about bringing over Barry Zito?

wilmot825

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
Just say no to Zito!

Kenny Williams deserves a lot of credit for not being tied down to horrible contracts like Zito. Many teams around the league have these crap contracts filling up their rosters [just see the Cubs]. I just read today that Dontrelle Willis still has like $22 million due to him thru 2011. Thank goodness KW has had the foresight to not get bogged down in some bad contracts [like Rowand, Fukudome,] when a lot of people were calling for him to open the checkbook.

He offered Fukudome more money than the Cubs did. He offered Rowand 4 years and when SF went to 5 he told Aaron he couldn't go 5. Not foresight. Luck.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
He offered Fukudome more money than the Cubs did. He offered Rowand 4 years and when SF went to 5 he told Aaron he couldn't go 5. Not foresight. Luck.

Aaron is batting .304 and is quietly leading/helping the pitching & defense SF Giants to the wild card. He would look very, very good in a White Sox jersey just now. I've seen a couple of his games and he can still really play. He is not the player Torii Hunter is but he is still a very good baseball player. I agree the Giants are overpaying him (5 Yr $60 Mil), but he ain't no bum or bust.

Fukudome hit a slump in the last week, but until then he was batting over .300 and his OBP was comfortably in the .400s, and his OPS was somewhere about .900. Sure he is overpaid simply because of when he got his contract, but that's not exactly terrible.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
Fukudome hit a slump in the last week, but until then he was batting over .300 and his OBP was comfortably in the .400s, and his OPS was somewhere about .900. Sure he is overpaid simply because of when he got his contract, but that's not exactly terrible.

'Dome is actually in a nearly month-long swoon, and his numbers are dropping like a stone. He's looking a lot like he did at the end of last year.

i.e. BUST

For all the flak Fukudome gets, he's put up a .368 OBP in 203 career games. He hasn't hit for power at all, but if he plays an adequate CF, he's a fine regular. Not worth the $15 mill a year he is getting, but a fine regular.

Edited by witesoxfan

RotoWorld:

A report suggested that the Giants have signed Mr. Zero, Shingo Takatsu to a minor league contract.

According to NPBtracker.com, Takatsu will report to Triple-A Fresno once his visa paperwork clears. Takatsu, a legendary Japanese league closer, hasn't pitched a regular season game in the majors since 2005. He failed to win a job with the Cubs out of spring training last year and ended up in Korea. The 40-year-old reliever still thinks he can pitch in the bigs.

Speaking of the Giants, they seem to be trying to put the 2005 White Sox band back together. Rowand, Uribi, now maybe Shingo. Is Carl Everett next?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 02:05 AM)

I don't recall the sox offer ever being confirmed as being the highest with Fukudome. I thought the sox offered $10 mill a yr for 4 yrs, and the Cubs had a higher offer and the extra incentives of playing Rf and being the 1st position player from Japan playing with the cubs.

But my key point is luck really doesn't have anything to do with the Sox not being tied down to albatross type contracts. Other GM's are willing to add years or salary for free agents, vastly overpaying for players. Kenny would rather overpay in trades for the right player. Sure, there are some misses [swisher a prime example]. But those trades don't prevent the sox major league club from being competitive. The Sox only "overpay" [ie, paying the competitive, going rate] for their own proven vets, like PK, Mark, Contreras, AJ, Dye, etc.

With the sox farm system being vastly improved, the sox will be in much better shape in the years ahead. They can add players with trades. And get contributions from the minor league players [beckham, Getz, Poreda, etc]. Other teams are stuck keeping scrubs on their roster [ex. Luis Castillo, Dontrelle Willis, Pierre, Fukudome, et al], preventing them from upgrading at those spots, when they would have loved to gotten rid of them.

Edited by beck72

zito is a sad bastard. i listen to knbr on the morning commute -- today's topic: name another pro athlete, who has started regularly over, say, a couple of years, simply b/c it would almost be more embarrassing for that that team to bench him based on the size of the contract?