Should I buy a beer at Wrigley?

Princess Dye

This is a silly enough question but I know some people who love beer like me will chime in.

The expensive ticket I bought directly from cubs-- that helps them get free agents with my $. But at least i'm going and cheering my team and trying to bring some kind of positive pro-sox atmosphere to the game.

But if I buy anything from concessions, i'm just pointlessly padding the team's ability to afford free agents.

Granted i'm just one person, but if every sox fan buys stuff there, it helps them financially in their busiest midweek early game series.

Should i abstain?

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
This is a silly enough question but I know some people who love beer like me will chime in.

The expensive ticket I bought directly from cubs-- that helps them get free agents with my $. But at least i'm going and cheering my team and trying to bring some kind of positive pro-sox atmosphere to the game.

But if I buy anything from concessions, i'm just pointlessly padding the team's ability to afford free agents.

Granted i'm just one person, but if every sox fan buys stuff there, it helps them financially in their busiest midweek early game series.

Should i abstain?

Go to the game and have fun. If that means buying a beer or two, go ahead and do it

Things like this never cross my mind. The cubs dont gave a damn if I give them 20-40 bucks once a year. If I paid to walk in the door, Im not going to starve or abstain from drinking beer because of the stadium I am in.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
Things like this never cross my mind. The cubs dont gave a damn if I give them 20-40 bucks once a year. If I paid to walk in the door, Im not going to starve or abstain from drinking beer because of the stadium I am in.

exactly, I don't mind going to a Cubs game 1-2 times a year. Usually I get to go for free on friends who have season tickets, but I'll pay too. The stadium is a dump, but it's MLB and I love baseball. Also, I like going to the bars around there and making a day of it. I don't feel Sox guilt or anything, I just enjoy it

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
Go to the game and have fun. If that means buying a beer or two, go ahead and do it

^^^^^^ That.

PD, do you really think you can drink enough beer to make an impact on the Cubs ability to sign free agents?

If so, I'm impressed. :cheers

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
Try this. Drink all the beer and eat all the food you want. Then right before you leave, break a chair or something. The cost to repair would more than make up for any food you purchased.

This was a joke for those who cannot tell.

Do you listen to placebo?

**Breaking News Out of Chincoteague, Virginia**

Chicago Cubs sign rights to Little Leaguer Sammy "Ham Sandwich" Trotter

Chincoteague - Grover Trotter is a proud papa these days. His 8-year old son Sammy was signed by the Chicago Cubs yesterday after scouts in the area saw the youngster bat. The club secured the rights to young Sammy for $150 and a Ron Santo signed baseball.

"I told them scouts that my boy is MLD ready," Mr. Trotter said. It was later explained to him that the acronym is MLB, not MLD.

Scouts for the Cubs were apparently in the area to watch a minor league game but stopped for directions at the Trotter trailer. When Mr. Trotter learned that his visitors were scouts for a "big baseball club", he immediately had his son grab a bat.

"I told Hammy to grab his bat and show these fellas what hitting's all about," Mr. Trotter belched, crushing an empty Pabst can.

Sammy Trotter then proceeded to swing the bat at a series of pitches from his dad. He made contact regularly, and the scouts reported that the youngster had a good technique.

"My boy always gets hits in his games," Mr. Trotter beamed. "The ball even makes it close to the fence sometimes."

Cubs GM Jim Hendry spoke of the signing and was optimistic of the kid making the club eventually. He stated that the club was looking towards the future as well as the present, and signings like this can make or break an organization. The GM went on to say that the signing was only possible because of beer and hot dog sales at the most recent Cubs-Sox series. "Hey, we may not like the Sox and their fans, but we'll take their money so we can better our club."

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Bring a flask. f*** the Cubs. They don't deserve your hard earned cash.

Personally, I would feel guilty giving them money. I even fast forward through the CSN news coverage of them on my TIVO. I wouldn't blame a Sox fan for buying a beer and having fun, but I would bring a flask.

I have no problem with the Cubs players but I really do not care for the myth of Cubdome and the Wrigley love that the fan base spews and their announcers constantly chatter about. For that, I refuse to attend games at Wrigley Field or spend any money that might support the team. I know someone else will fill the void but I just do not want to be another contributor of funds to an organization that gets WAY more love and attention than it deserves. It is just too easy for them to raise money and I won't help the cause, no matter if it is pissing into the wind or not.

Edited by Pants Rowland

Most beer is generally much cheaper at Wrigely (except Old Style) than it is at the Cell, so in some respects, it's actually a discount to go to Wrigely and drink. Levy Restuarants have a contract with Wrigely concessions, so really they are the ones making most profit, though income is somewhat shared still even though a contract is in place.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
**Breaking News Out of Chincoteague, Virginia**

Chicago Cubs sign rights to Little Leaguer Sammy "Ham Sandwich" Trotter

Chincoteague - Grover Trotter is a proud papa these days. His 8-year old son Sammy was signed by the Chicago Cubs yesterday after scouts in the area saw the youngster bat. The club secured the rights to young Sammy for $150 and a Ron Santo signed baseball.

"I told them scouts that my boy is MLD ready," Mr. Trotter said. It was later explained to him that the acronym is MLB, not MLD.

Scouts for the Cubs were apparently in the area to watch a minor league game but stopped for directions at the Trotter trailer. When Mr. Trotter learned that his visitors were scouts for a "big baseball club", he immediately had his son grab a bat.

"I told Hammy to grab his bat and show these fellas what hitting's all about," Mr. Trotter belched, crushing an empty Pabst can.

Sammy Trotter then proceeded to swing the bat at a series of pitches from his dad. He made contact regularly, and the scouts reported that the youngster had a good technique.

"My boy always gets hits in his games," Mr. Trotter beamed. "The ball even makes it close to the fence sometimes."

Cubs GM Jim Hendry spoke of the signing and was optimistic of the kid making the club eventually. He stated that the club was looking towards the future as well as the present, and signings like this can make or break an organization. The GM went on to say that the signing was only possible because of beer and hot dog sales at the most recent Cubs-Sox series. "Hey, we may not like the Sox and their fans, but we'll take their money so we can better our club."

Lots of effort...big dud.

And anyone who goes to Wrigley is a loser...stay on your side of town. F Wrigley Field.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)

And anyone who goes to Wrigley is a loser...stay on your side of town. F Wrigley Field.

Is that all you have to add to the discussion? Making fun of someone's attempt at parody and telling people who are going to Wrigley (to support the Sox no less) that they are losers? Great stuff.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)

It actually wasn't much effort. I amused myself anyway.

Oh to hell with it. I can't take the rejection. I quit! *sobs uncontrollably*

Edited by hogan873

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
Is that all you have to add to the discussion? Making fun of someone's attempt at parody and telling people who are going to Wrigley (to support the Sox no less) that they are losers? Great stuff.

Yes