What are you favorite Chicago Sport Bars/Restaurants

Chisoxfn

Hmmm, how about a few divey restaurants somewhat off the beaten path

Tufanos on Vernon Park over ner UIC. Probably some of the better home cooked italian in Chicago. Cash only

Half Shell on Diversey has some of the best crab legs around

Twin Anchors on Sedgwick for ribs, really nothing else I can say there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 06:56 AM)

Tufanos on Vernon Park over ner UIC. Probably some of the better home cooked italian in Chicago. Cash only

One of my favorite spots, crab legs are great, cash only as well

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
Mahoneys on Ogden,Duggans in Greek town,Morgans on Halsted to start with some of my faves.

Certainly a lot of bum cracks showing on St. Paddy's w/k.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 04:56 AM)

Tufanos is very good.

I haven't lived in Chicago going on 5 years, although I do make it back to visit for Christmas and sometimes for a Sox homestand.

My favorite places I used to visit all the time, unsure of which are still around.

Breakfast:

The Bongo Room, Honore/Milwaukee. Yes, this is the High Fidelity corner and my favorite brunch spot in town.

Clarke's, Lincoln/Halsted or Clark/Belmont. Open around the clock, good diner food—particularly pancakes.

Ann Sather, Belmont west of Clark (iirc). Also another outpost in Andersonville. Chicago institution, famous for their Cinnamon rolls.

Lunch:

Manny's Deli. Best Jewish deli in town.

Star of Siam, State/Illinois. Food on par with Thai Star a few blocks away but a better venue.

Mr. Beef, Erie/Orleans. Divey place full of celebrity heads on the walls. Jay Leno's favorite place for Beef.

If you've got kids, Ed Debevic's on Wells/Ontario or Portillo's is a good bet.

Dinner:

Pizzeria Uno or Due, Ohio/Wabash. Same menu, ingredients, ownership—go where there's the shortest wait unless you're a purist and want to see the birthplace of the Chicago pizza. In which case, wait for Uno.

Kamehachi on Schiller/Wells. Stellar sushi, always a good bet.

Pontiac Cafe on Damen/Milwaukee.

Piece on North/Milwaukee. Good pizza and brews.

Duke of Perth, Clark north of Diversey. Fish and chips, great English/Scottish beer selection and Scotch list the best in the city. Wednesday and Friday nights are all you can eat fish and chips, or at least used to be.

Adobo Grill, Honore/Milwaukee. Very tasty upscale Mexican food and unbeatable Tequila list.

Late night:

Rainbo Room, Damen south of Division (iirc). Divey with High Life bottles and full of hipster girls. Yes, I think this is a selling point.

Delilah's, Lincoln near Diversey (iirc). Dive often with good live music.

Wieners Circle, Clark/Wrightwood. I used to live a couple of blocks from this place, and now that the original Gold Coast Dogs is gone, this is the pre-emptive Chicago 'Dog. It's been featured on Insomniac a couple of times. Not for the faint of heart.

Zaiqa, Orleans/Chestnut. Pakistani cafeteria, best value in town. The cabbie hangout on the north side. This is an...adventure.

Edited by Drew

QUOTE (Drew @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 01:35 AM)
I haven't lived in Chicago going on 5 years, although I do make it back to visit for Christmas and sometimes for a Sox homestand.

My favorite places I used to visit all the time, unsure of which are still around.

Breakfast:

The Bongo Room, Honore/Milwaukee. Yes, this is the High Fidelity corner and my favorite brunch spot in town.

Clarke's, Lincoln/Halsted or Clark/Belmont. Open around the clock, good diner food—particularly pancakes.

Ann Sather, Belmont west of Clark (iirc). Also another outpost in Andersonville. Chicago institution, famous for their Cinnamon rolls.

Lunch:

Star of Siam, State/Illinois. Food on par with Thai Star a few blocks away but a better venue.

Mr. Beef, Erie/Orleans. Divey place full of celebrity heads on the walls. Jay Leno's favorite place for Beef.

Dinner:

Pizzeria Uno or Due, Ohio/Wabash. Same menu, ingredients, ownership—go where there's the shortest wait unless you're a purist and want to see the birthplace of the Chicago pizza. In which case, wait for Uno.

Duke of Perth, Clark north of Diversey. Fish and chips, great English/Scottish beer selection and Scotch list the best in the city. Wednesday and Friday nights are all you can eat fish and chips, or at least used to be.

Adobo Grill, Honore/Milwaukee. Very tasty upscale Mexican food and unbeatable Tequila list.

Late night:

Rainbo Room, Damen south of Division (iirc). Divey with High Life bottles and full of hipster girls. Yes, I think this is a selling point.

Wieners Circle, Clark/Wrightwood. I used to live a couple of blocks from this place, and now that the original Gold Coast Dogs is gone, this is the pre-emptive Chicago 'Dog. It's been featured on Insomniac a couple of times. Not for the faint of heart.

Zaiqa, Orleans/Chestnut. Pakistani cafeteria, best value in town. The cabbie hangout on the north side. This is an...adventure.

Except for Zaiqa and Piece, I think we share a brain. Also, I heard Pontiac is closing/closed. Ugh, one of my favorite places in town.

QUOTE (Drew @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 01:35 AM)

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

Late night:

I'd like to correct a few of of those but I realize that everyone has their opinion.

Al's on Taylor is the best beef IMO, but everyone differs

Zapatista on wabash is also a good upscale mex

Coalfire on grand is a good pizza place for thin crust and Salernos on grand is the king of pizza.

As for Dive's I would go with Richards, for Music, underground Wunderbar

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 08:40 AM)
Indeed it is.

I first went there as an intern in the graphics department at Neoglyphics in '98. We'd do lunch there frequently. But like most dot-coms, all good things came to an end.

I think the last time I went to Pontiac was 2003.

Also, Hop Haus on Erie and Franklin. In the old Leona's spot. Great burgers made out of ostrich, venison, lamb with beer pairings. Was there a couple of years ago when I was home for Christmas.

Has anyone been to a place called Great Lake for pizza?

It was written up in GQ as the best pizza restaurant in the US. I tried to get out there when I was in town visiting a few weeks ago, but never made it. It's a few miles north of Wrigley, just off Clark on Balmoral Ave.

Was just curious...