6/18 Sox @ Cubs 1:20 CSN

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Sox are sellers. If we win and move onto the playoffs it will be because our young players play good. The team isn't going to win the world series and we'll be contenders as long as our starters pitch decently but that doesn't mean we should pretend and make short sighted moves.

Kenny needs to be smart and now is the time to move some guys and get our youngsters some experience and who knows we'll still be able to compete and maybe make the playoffs and in that case, it'll be great experience for our youngsters.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Looking at the entire season so far, not just one game, Getz's defense has been mediocre.

I'd say a little above average but he's getting used to playing at the major league level. Getz has nice defensive tools too. He'll be much better than Iguchi and Ray Ray were, imo, long term defensively. Not as good offensively as Ray Ray but very solid.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
Looking at the entire season so far, not just one game, Getz's defense has been mediocre.

His range to his left is great. That's about the only above average thing he does defensively. He's been atrocious at turning the double play, with both setting up Alexei as well as his throws to first. I'd give his defense a C- so far.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
The Sox are sellers. If we win and move onto the playoffs it will be because our young players play good. The team isn't going to win the world series and we'll be contenders as long as our starters pitch decently but that doesn't mean we should pretend and make short sighted moves.

Kenny needs to be smart and now is the time to move some guys and get our youngsters some experience and who knows we'll still be able to compete and maybe make the playoffs and in that case, it'll be great experience for our youngsters.

So do you suggest trading Thome,Konerko,Aj and JD for .50 on the dollar?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)

I think the staff knows that they're heading this direction, which is why you're seeing Beckham now. They're threading "we can win now" with "kids of the future" without saying "we're rebuilding". I will say this, though. Some of the mediocre players on this roster need to get s***canned so some kids can come up and learn. I think people are a lot more tolerable of kids making mistakes then a career .207 hitter playing CF, if you catch my drift.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)

I would do anything I can to get rid of Konerko and his salary. With his thumb issues and seemingly diminished bat speed, he's not going to put up the power necessary to be making as much as he is.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
I would do anything I can to get rid of Konerko and his salary. With his thumb issues and seemingly diminished bat speed, he's not going to put up the power necessary to be making as much as he is.

I expect cash to be moved with most of our vets with our return being next to nothing. Not sure what that solves?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)

PK's contract isn't as burdensome next year since others are going away. I agree that if you can move it, probably not a bad idea, but KW and the org has done a good job, and gotten a little lucky, so there's nothing crippling after this year

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)

Depends on what the Sox plans are. I have no problem moving Thome now. Move him to a contender if he wants and use the money on other things. For example, take this money and put it on top of the money saved next year and make some impact moves. JD I would try and negotiate an extension for, one that is financially better because I don't think we'll get a great trade offer.

I figure Paulie will stay and I have no problem with that cause we need some veterans but at the same time if a team made a great offer, I don't mind moving him as well. I'd love to keep AJ as long as he's willing to work with Flowers. He'd remain the starter next year with Flowers getting maybe 40% of the starts there and the ocassional start at 1B/DH or something along those lines to ensure he gets at bats.

Oh and I should add, I would fully expect the Sox to than lose multiple draft picks when they spend some of that money in the off-season on other players to help fill in whatever holes we have. For example, there is this 19 year old Cuban out there. I would trade two of Dye/Thome/Paulie/Dotel/Linebrink (one of which) if we could use the money we'd have spent on them for the rest of the season on the 19 year old Cuban or on one of the top International Free Agents.

I think the Sox should be smart and realize they have a great opportunity here to get a lot better in a hurry while still contending because they are in a poor division. We have the rotation to be where we can retool the offense quite quickly and be a big time contender next year thanks to getting rid of some poor contracts, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)

That's THE argument for why the Twins should win this year after doing unexpectedly well with youngsters after "retooling" on the go with the losses of Hunter and Santana and staying in the race until Game 163, which they still believe they were robbed of due to the coin flip.

Unfortunately for the Twins, they've also seen regressions from Baker, Liriano, Gomez, D. Young, Casilla, their bullpen is short an arm or two and Nathan's not quite the imposing/dominant figure he was coming out of the bullpen 2-3 seasons ago.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
PK's contract isn't as burdensome next year since others are going away. I agree that if you can move it, probably not a bad idea, but KW and the org has done a good job, and gotten a little lucky, so there's nothing crippling after this year

Linebrink's contract is definitely starting to look like the worse contract we have going forward.

We can't pick on Contreras (who still might be a key, one that nobody expected TWICE now), MacDougal or Paulie anymore. Nor is the Thome contract, which was a very good bargain until this season because of the Phillies' subidization of it, going to be on the books either.

I can just imagine if the Peavy deal had gone through...we'd be looking like we were on the wrong side of the Mike Sirotka/Wells deal, and four players short, including two of our most promising young pitchers for the future.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)

I'd say the diminished bat speed this year has been because of his thumb. They go basically hand in hand.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
Not sure if you know already but Brandon Allen got promoted to AAA Charlotte. I think we might see him this season.

Well, at least Flowers, Viciedo, Retherford, Danks and Shelby will get to experience playoff baseball, theoretically, in September.

That team has already lost Beckham, Allen and Poreda...and there's also a "decent" possibility they will bring up Flowers/Dayan/CJ in July or August to AAA.