(Insert Celeb Here) is Dead

knightni

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)
Can you believe that there are "Death Pool" sites out there where people make money guessing on who's going to die?

Some guy actually guessed Michael Jackson on his list.

We had a pool at an old office I worked at. Rules were simple; $25 per person, winner take all. 10 Celebs on your list, 100 points less their age. It ran from Jan 1 to Dec 1. Some definition of "celebrity". We'd have close to $1000 in the pool. Amazing how many people started reading People, Enquirer, etc starting in October

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)
We had a pool at an old office I worked at. Rules were simple; $25 per person, winner take all. 10 Celebs on your list, 100 points less their age. It ran from Jan 1 to Dec 1. Some definition of "celebrity". We'd have close to $1000 in the pool. Amazing how many people started reading People, Enquirer, etc starting in October

That's pretty well thought out with the 100 points - age component. Our pools never had anything as logical as that and usually the person who loaded up their list with 90 year old celebrities did the best. We've tried a double and triple point score for real longshot picks but then it got into what really is and isn't a longshot. A young person with known alcohol and drug issues is a pretty good dead pool pick.

Been a few years since I've participated in a pool — more out of never getting around to putting a list together in time than anything because I don't finf them particularly morbid or in bad taste.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
Hah! No, she was a sitcom pioneer who started out on My Little Margie back in the 50s if I remember yesterday's story correctly.

I figured you, of all people, would know her. Not because of your geek card, but because you are old enough to remember watching My Little Margie!

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
I figured you, of all people, would know her. Not because of your geek card, but because you are old enough to remember watching My Little Margie!

You'd think so, I know. But by the time Pa picked us up from the prairie schoolhouse and drove us home in the oxcart every day the show would already be over.

:angry:

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
You'd think so, I know. But by the time Pa picked us up from the prairie schoolhouse and drove us home in the oxcart every day the show would already be over.

:angry:

I thought you walked to school, in the snow, barefoot, uphill...both ways.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 09:42 AM)
That's pretty well thought out with the 100 points - age component. Our pools never had anything as logical as that and usually the person who loaded up their list with 90 year old celebrities did the best. We've tried a double and triple point score for real longshot picks but then it got into what really is and isn't a longshot. A young person with known alcohol and drug issues is a pretty good dead pool pick.

Been a few years since I've participated in a pool — more out of never getting around to putting a list together in time than anything because I don't finf them particularly morbid or in bad taste.

Thank you, I worked out the scoring, which was much easier than working out a definition of "celebrity". A "Tex Rule" was added after I added Guinevere Garcia to my list. Basically the old definition was someone had to be famous enough to have an article in the Sun Times or Trib announcing his/her death.

Through the years there were some strange picks.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
He isn't really a celeb but I would say Steve Jobs....

It's kind of funny that people would hesitate to call a guy who is famous for making his company tons of money a celebrity. Would anyone hesitate to call Paris Hilton a celeb?

QUOTE (Nixon @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
It's kind of funny that people would hesitate to call a guy who is famous for making his company tons of money a celebrity. Would anyone hesitate to call Paris Hilton a celeb?

I think he is more a celebrity for leading the company that has designed some amazing products.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:10 AM)
I think he is more a celebrity for leading the company that has designed some amazing products.

Steve Jobs is not a celebrity...he is a well-known public figure.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
Steve Jobs is not a celebrity...he is a well-known public figure.

ce⋅leb⋅ri⋅ty

  /səˈlɛbrɪti/[suh-leb-ri-tee]

–noun, plural -ties for 1.

1. a famous or well-known person.

That's why most dead pools concern themselves with dead FAMOUS people. That way it doesn't matter if your fame is due to you being a political figure, an entertainer, a renowned author, artist, scientist, etc. You're famous, and if you're dead and famous somebody gets the points and thanks for playing.