(Insert Celeb Here) is Dead

knightni

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
The fact that we linked to the same video speaks to the heights of that performance.

:cheers

Yeah, that one stuck with me. The Beatles are my absolute favorite music of all time. It is rare that a cover does them justice, and it is even rarer when one blows me away like this one did. My favorite moment is when Price is wailing away with his back to the audience, and Dhani Harrison is watching him with the biggest smile ever on his face. If that doesn't tell you something, I don't know what will.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
I always respected Prince as an entertainer. He pushed the boundaries of showmanship like guys like Freddy Mercury and David Bowie did. What I didn't realize for a long time was how much talent he had as a guitarist too until I saw him play during this Beatles tribute. Prince really takes over and puts some historically great guitarists to shame at about the 3:30 mark of this video. I mean that is Petty, Winwood, and Lynne on stage with him, and they all took a side to Prince.

#RIPPrince

He is the most talented overall musician I've seen live in the last 40 years. At one of the shows he played every instrument during different songs and had majors solos on each one. He was incredible. That video is one of my favorites and the one that most "non-Prince" fans find.

RIP.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
Twitter is intolerable after someone famous dies. So many people going overboard with praise.

Uh oh, people on twitter are upset because one of their favorite musicians died. Better go get mad at them.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
Who doesn't remember his guitar-penis silhouette performance from the Super Bowl a few years back?

I remember it, but I more remember him just rocking out in the middle of hurricane weather and being really impressed

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
Leave it to Twitter and message boards for people to get on their high horse when others want to mourn losing a musician or celebrity they respected when they die.

Nah I think it's legit when you can make it personal. But the nonsense like this: "Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 4m4 minutes ago

Imagine being as talented at one little thing as Prince was at so many big things." is just feeding an online persona for followers to make yourself look cool and cultured. Barnwell is a white dude from the northeast. He was probably 10 when Prince was at his peak.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
Nah I think it's legit when you can make it personal. But the nonsense like this: "Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 4m4 minutes ago

Imagine being as talented at one little thing as Prince was at so many big things." is just feeding an online persona for followers to make yourself look cool and cultured. Barnwell is a white dude from the northeast. He was probably 10 when Prince was at his peak.

Why so bitter? The Beatles broke up before I was born, and I still have a connection to them that I can't explain. I remember the day that John Lennon died just like I remember the day relatives died. Music is a personal experience, and hits different people in different ways. Most people can at least respect that, and not have the need to piss on people's opinions.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)

who cares how old he was, where he was from, or what color his skin is? Just because you didnt grow up in the 70s means you cant appreciate Zeppelin or Floyd when they were peaking? If you arent black you cant appreciate NWA?

This is just some of your typical nonsense when something happens and you just want to knock everyone down a peg for appreciating something

I'm not bitter. I'm just pointing out Twitter is annoying with fake praise. And yes, it's fake when it comes to media personalities giving their thoughts on famous people dying.

Ric Bucher ‏@RicBucher 51m51 minutes ago

Sitting here thinking about the world without Prince, giving thanks we have his music to chase the sadness, hoping he knows how we feel.

Because who has thought about Prince in the last 5 years? Anyone?

edit: i'm coming from a place akin to what Bill Simmons often says - why don't we celebrate people before they die? Why does someone die and then we spend 3 days acting like they're the most important person ever when the day before they died no one was thinking or saying anything about them? Especially famous people who have been, by and large, out of the public eye for several years.

If that dude touched your life and you were a fan, i'm not s***ting on you for saying RIP and it sucks he's gone. It's the over the top, prove to the world i'm more upset than you are, crap that i'm pointing out. And it's all over my Twitter feed right now.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
who cares how old he was, where he was from, or what color his skin is? Just because you didnt grow up in the 70s means you cant appreciate Zeppelin or Floyd when they were peaking? If you arent black you cant appreciate NWA?

This is just some of your typical nonsense when something happens and you just want to knock everyone down a peg for appreciating something

Fer realz. Even worse than fake praise is fake outrage for no good reason.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
Hmmm, why do people suddenly pay attention to someone when they die rather than randomly espousing praise all the time? mysmilie_1094.gif

I wasnt aware that I had to randomly espouse praise for every musician i am a fan of in order to make my appreciation of these musicians "more real" when they pass away

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
I'm not bitter. I'm just pointing out Twitter is annoying with fake praise. And yes, it's fake when it comes to media personalities giving their thoughts on famous people dying.

Ric Bucher ‏@RicBucher 51m51 minutes ago

Sitting here thinking about the world without Prince, giving thanks we have his music to chase the sadness, hoping he knows how we feel.

Because who has thought about Prince in the last 5 years? Anyone?

edit: i'm coming from a place akin to what Bill Simmons often says - why don't we celebrate people before they die? Why does someone die and then we spend 3 days acting like they're the most important person ever when the day before they died no one was thinking or saying anything about them? Especially famous people who have been, by and large, out of the public eye for several years.

If that dude touched your life and you were a fan, i'm not s***ting on you for saying RIP and it sucks he's gone. It's the over the top, prove to the world i'm more upset than you are, crap that i'm pointing out. And it's all over my Twitter feed right now.

If I listen to a musician, am i not celebrating this person? If I watch an actor on TV/in movies, am I not appreciating this person? Does a RIP tweet have to be validated by constant previous praise?

Don't we celebrate people when they're alive by listening and paying for their music? Or watching their shows or movies? Hall of fame inductions?

If you don't like what you read, scroll by.

MTV is actually playing music videos today for Prince.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
Bowie was way more of a performer. Prince was a musician who was a hell of a performer.

Agreed. I liked Bowie and listened to his music. He was very creative and a good performer. However, he wasn't the all around musician Price was.