(Insert Celeb Here) is Dead

knightni

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
I wasnt aware that I had to randomly espouse praise for every musician i am a fan of in order to make my appreciation of these musicians "more real" when they pass away

If I listen to a musician, am i not celebrating this person? If I watch an actor on TV/in movies, am I not appreciating this person? Does a RIP tweet have to be validated by constant previous praise?

I have both Bowie and Prince on my ipod rotation for running. However, I guess I'm not truly a fan unless I sing their praise while running or typing.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
Don't we celebrate people when they're alive by listening and paying for their music? Or watching their shows or movies? Hall of fame inductions?

If you don't like what you read, scroll by.

MTV is actually playing music videos today for Prince.

And it is a human reaction to deal with the finality of death by realizing what you have lost. Honestly, I am not sure why that is a shock.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
And it is a human reaction to deal with the finality of death by realizing what you have lost. Honestly, I am not sure why that is a shock.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
Because who has thought about Prince in the last 5 years? Anyone?

Quite a few people. He released 3 albums in the past 2 years, one of which reached as high as 5 on the album charts. Not to mention his involvement with artists he's tutored like Janelle Monae.

Prince was simply one of a kind. Amazing performer and absolutely brilliant musician.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 05:04 PM)
RIP Prince. Have always had a tremendous amount of respect for his talent and music. My all time favorite from Prince is 1999. :headbang

I liked Prince. Now I like a ton of music and I'm Prince's age. I have Purple Rain on vinyl and 1999 on CD. Can't say I've listened to anything recent from him but when you find good music you always like it. It's also good knowing he performed at the last Bear's Superbowl appearance and even did a bit of Foo Fighters "The Best of You " at the halftime show. His music spanned a lot of different genres which was cool and a funny moment from the movie Purple Rain when Morris Day was mockingly singing "Let's Go Crazy " most likely because it sounded like white people music.

One of my fav albums from the 80's ,She's So Unusual by Cyndi Lauper had at least one Prince written song on it that I really liked called When You Were Mine. Also wrote the hits Stand Back by Stevie Nicks, Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor ,Manic Monday by the Bangles, I Feel for You by Chaka Khan and many many others.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 08:06 PM)
Quite a few people. He released 3 albums in the past 2 years, one of which reached as high as 5 on the album charts. Not to mention his involvement with artists he's tutored like Janelle Monae.

Prince was simply one of a kind. Amazing performer and absolutely brilliant musician.

Quite a few people is an understatement in the truest sense.

I'm jolted. I'm two years younger than Prince and I remember when his first album came out and hit our high school by storm. I took summer classes in Madison in '84 when Purple Rain came out. One of my classmates went to high school with Prince and told us he was a really good basketball player. Years later, Dave Chapelle did a hilarious skit about playing a pick up basketball game with him.

A true musical genius. Our generation's Mozart as far as I'm concerned.

Before I had heart surgery a few years ago, me and my friends went downtown to hang out before I left for the operation. This was when I lived on Taylor and went to UIC. It was a group of like 15 and we went to Little Joe's for their karaoke night and everyone is having a good time. While I was getting a drink, my friend taps me on the shoulder and ask if it's cool if one of his friends from home can come out and I said sure. I expected it to be one of his guy friends but in walks his friend Hannah, who everyone knew I had a huge thing for, including her. While I'm far from being a social butterfly and not very sociable, I have no problem engaging with people but whenever I was around Hannah, I couldn't even open my mouth and when I did, I would say something that usually made no sense, before running away.

I get my drink, get far away and wait my turn for the microphone. I guessed she noticed that I was avoiding her and she comes up and tells me that she heard about the operation and we strike up a conversation. I told her that I'm going to do a song and she says that she wants to sign up. She gives me her drink to to hold and tells the DJ what song she wants to do. It's my turn and I do Prince's Kiss. I see she's up next, so I give her the microphone and she looks at me funny. Her music starts playing and it's Little Red Corvette. Our conversation wasn't going anywhere before that but after that coincidence, me and her talked the whole night and exchanged numbers. We talked nonstop and about a month later she asked me out and we've been together since. So I guess I have Prince to thank for that.

Prince was my one of my first concerts. He played during my first dance at wedding. And my mom and sisters, who are all lifelong dancers would take out a record player, throw on some Prince and dance through our house. I was even Prince for Halloween last year.

Needless to say, I was pretty devastated by the news of Prince's death. Him and his music have always been a constant in my life. RIP Your Badness.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 04:47 AM)
Before I had heart surgery a few years ago, me and my friends went downtown to hang out before I left for the operation. This was when I lived on Taylor and went to UIC. It was a group of like 15 and we went to Little Joe's for their karaoke night and everyone is having a good time. While I was getting a drink, my friend taps me on the shoulder and ask if it's cool if one of his friends from home can come out and I said sure. I expected it to be one of his guy friends but in walks his friend Hannah, who everyone knew I had a huge thing for, including her. While I'm far from being a social butterfly and not very sociable, I have no problem engaging with people but whenever I was around Hannah, I couldn't even open my mouth and when I did, I would say something that usually made no sense, before running away.

I get my drink, get far away and wait my turn for the microphone. I guessed she noticed that I was avoiding her and she comes up and tells me that she heard about the operation and we strike up a conversation. I told her that I'm going to do a song and she says that she wants to sign up. She gives me her drink to to hold and tells the DJ what song she wants to do. It's my turn and I do Prince's Kiss. I see she's up next, so I give her the microphone and she looks at me funny. Her music starts playing and it's Little Red Corvette. Our conversation wasn't going anywhere before that but after that coincidence, me and her talked the whole night and exchanged numbers. We talked nonstop and about a month later she asked me out and we've been together since. So I guess I have Prince to thank for that.

Prince was my one of my first concerts. He played during my first dance at wedding. And my mom and sisters, who are all lifelong dancers would take out a record player, throw on some Prince and dance through our house. I was even Prince for Halloween last year.

Needless to say, I was pretty devastated by the news of Prince's death. Him and his music have always been a constant in my life. RIP Your Badness.

Thanks for sharing - great story.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 07:47 PM)
I liked Prince. Now I like a ton of music and I'm Prince's age. I have Purple Rain on vinyl and 1999 on CD. Can't say I've listened to anything recent from him but when you find good music you always like it. It's also good knowing he performed at the last Bear's Superbowl appearance and even did a bit of Foo Fighters "The Best of You " at the halftime show. His music spanned a lot of different genres which was cool and a funny moment from the movie Purple Rain when Morris Day was mockingly singing "Let's Go Crazy " most likely because it sounded like white people music.

One of my fav albums from the 80's ,She's So Unusual by Cyndi Lauper had at least one Prince written song on it that I really liked called When You Were Mine. Also wrote the hits Stand Back by Stevie Nicks, Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor ,Manic Monday by the Bangles, I Feel for You by Chaka Khan and many many others.

Rock on my man! You bring up many names that takes me back to my youth. I absolutely love anything with Stevie Nicks and Cindy Lauper has always been "cool". The Bangels did a hell of a job on their remake of Hazy Shade of Winter and intact it's on my phone. Like you, I dug me some Chaka Khan. I can live without Sinead O'Conner though, got really tired of that song due to the radio playing the hell out of it.

Hey, do you remember what year Prince played for new years Eve on network TV? I think it was '84/'85...? While I'm at it, I'll just go ahead and mention the names Apollonian and Sheila E. since we're talking about Prince. :D

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
I kinda feel bad that I really don't feel sad about Prince dying. I felt kinda the same way when Bowie and MJ went. It just doesn't really affect me.

Nothing wrong with that, if they werent your thing then it is what it is.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 05:47 AM)

Great story.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
I kinda feel bad that I really don't feel sad about Prince dying. I felt kinda the same way when Bowie and MJ went. It just doesn't really affect me.

I know what you mean but to me, the saddest thing about all these people dying that a lot of us here grew up listening to (Prince, Frey, Bowie, Lemmy, Weiland) is that they weren't even that old.

RIP

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
I wasnt aware that I had to randomly espouse praise for every musician i am a fan of in order to make my appreciation of these musicians "more real" when they pass away

If I listen to a musician, am i not celebrating this person? If I watch an actor on TV/in movies, am I not appreciating this person? Does a RIP tweet have to be validated by constant previous praise?

We better start making our lists of favorite musicians who enriched our lives with their music and post it online somewhere so Jenks doesn't call us a bunch of attention seeking phonies...

I'll be really sad when the remaining Beatles pass away...also whenever any of the following...Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Megadeth, Carlos Santana, The Who, Metallica, Led Zep, Tool, Radiohead etc etc

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 04:28 AM)
so much for the flu

Prince Treated for Drug Overdose Days Before Death

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/21/prince-treat...-overdose-dead/

I read an article that seemed legit and said he had a bad hip and bad ankle pain as well and after the concert in Atlanta ODed on painkillers. The fact his current tour was him sitting at a piano and exhibiting his piano skills and not standing much would lend credence to the pain thing, also that he had a glittery cane when he walked on stage. Sad he didn't just go for hip replacement surgery or something.

Check out Prince's performance of Let's Go Crazy done impromptu at SNL's 40th anniversary party. it's all over the web today. So cool. I've "enjoyed" watching some performances of Prince and watching some interviews from the past in respect. Purple Rain has got to be one of the best 10 songs of all time and the way he was able to add some guitar solos in the midst of that song is pretty awesome.

Seemed like a together guy. One of the rare celebs to mention his faith in God a lot. Not some crazy spirit God but the traditional God. I also love the fact he still lived in Minnesota. As far as I'm concerned that says something. I love Prince. Rest in Peace.

p.s. I know adults who have died of flu. If you ever get a serious bout, don't let yourself get dehydrated. Don't be shy about going to emergency. Death is possible from the flu.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/enterta...e-snl/83458354/

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 07:06 PM)
He is the most talented overall musician I've seen live in the last 40 years. At one of the shows he played every instrument during different songs and had majors solos on each one. He was incredible. That video is one of my favorites and the one that most "non-Prince" fans find.

RIP.

Amen.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)
Twitter is intolerable after someone famous dies. So many people going overboard with praise.

??? Geez. Human beings bleed.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)

What a story! Prince truly is the reason you had the connection with your wife. You may not have ever struck up a good conversation, who knows? Thank u for the story. I feel sad about Prince today for some reason. Good music just seems to be part of what life is all about - how human beings are able to create such cool stuff can be uplifting. RIP Prince.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
I read an article that seemed legit and said he had a bad hip and bad ankle pain as well and after the concert in Atlanta ODed on painkillers. The fact his current tour was him sitting at a piano and exhibiting his piano skills and not standing much would lend credence to the pain thing, also that he had a glittery cane when he walked on stage. Sad he didn't just go for hip replacement surgery or something.

Check out Prince's performance of Let's Go Crazy done impromptu at SNL's 40th anniversary party. it's all over the web today. So cool. I've "enjoyed" watching some performances of Prince and watching some interviews from the past in respect. Purple Rain has got to be one of the best 10 songs of all time and the way he was able to add some guitar solos in the midst of that song is pretty awesome.

Seemed like a together guy. One of the rare celebs to mention his faith in God a lot. Not some crazy spirit God but the traditional God. I also love the fact he still lived in Minnesota. As far as I'm concerned that says something. I love Prince. Rest in Peace.

p.s. I know adults who have died of flu. If you ever get a serious bout, don't let yourself get dehydrated. Don't be shy about going to emergency. Death is possible from the flu.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/enterta...e-snl/83458354/

Some JW's stay away from some medical treatments or avoid it all together. Maybe that played into his death. His tolerance to pain medication might not have been that high.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
What a story! Prince truly is the reason you had the connection with your wife. You may not have ever struck up a good conversation, who knows? Thank u for the story. I feel sad about Prince today for some reason. Good music just seems to be part of what life is all about - how human beings are able to create such cool stuff can be uplifting. RIP Prince.

My partner, not my wife. I meant the first wedding I ever went to.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 02:47 AM)

Awesome story Josh.