(Insert Celeb Here) is Dead

knightni

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
Ah, Vertigo is a favorite for sure, and yeah, she was a tall drink of water as Jimmy Stewart might have said.

I don't get the Vertigo love. It's not a bad movie, but it's really long, and the ending isn't that great. But I guess there is a different thread for this discussion.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
I don't get the Vertigo love. It's not a bad movie, but it's really long, and the ending isn't that great. But I guess there is a different thread for this discussion.

Jimmy Stewart makes the movie for me, and Kim Novak to a lesser extent. Of the three Stewart Hitchcock films, I put this in second place, behind Rear Window but ahead of The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956).

• 2 weeks later...

Robert “Squirrel” Lester, a founding member of Chicago’s famed R & group The Chi-Lites, has died following a battle with cancer. He was 67. The Chi-Lites scored big with "Oh Girl", "Have You Seen Her" and "Stoned Out of My Mind".

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
Jimmy Stewart makes the movie for me, and Kim Novak to a lesser extent. Of the three Stewart Hitchcock films, I put this in second place, behind Rear Window but ahead of The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956).

When i first read you say the man who knew too much, i automatically associated it with lorre and the 34 version because i watched within the past week. I have seen both versions, and i enjoy both, though i have yet to come to a conclusion which i like more, considering both have a significant amount of pros and cons. But that's another story entirely. Anyway, the same day i watched the 34 version i watched M, arsenic and old lace (i watch it roughly every six months... those aunts just crack me up), and mad love. What a damn good day that was, a treat even.

Gotta love that mug of his.

madlove3.jpg

Since i brought up lorre, i might as well mention how much i like mr moto, though i am an even bigger fan of charlie chan. You are one of only a handful here who i figured would actually know who mr moto is. I would honestly be surprised if many more than that knew off him. Btw, i am proud to say i have now (as of very recently) seen every charlie chan movie to date. Next up is for me to check out the series from 57, as i hear practically nothing but good things.

Edited by qwerty

Yeah, Lorre was great in the Mr. Moto role — that's probably where I first saw him as a kid. I've only seen maybe three of the seven or eight Moto films, way back on Saturday/Sunday WGN matinees, but they were fun in the same way the Charlie Chan films were. Amazing to think they cranked out all those Lorre Moto films in less than three years.

M, Casablanca, and Maltese Falcon are probably the three Lorre roles that immediately come to mind when I think of my favorites, but he was great in Arsenic and Old Lace, Three Strangers, and others too.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)

That ending was classic. What's not to love?

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
That ending was classic. What's not to love?

I sort of agree on the ending, mostly due to the fact that it was too abrupt to be suspenseful like other Hitchcock films. Contrast that ending with the Mt. Rushmore ending in North by Northwest, or the Statue of Liberty ending from Saboteur (Dang, Hitch really did like precarious heights and long falls in his film climaxes) and I'd say Vertigo's ending was the weakest and least suspenseful of the three.

Saboteur was done in 1942. What a phenomenal job they did on that Statue of Liberty set for being almost 70 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lee Freeman

November 8, 1949 – February 14, 2010

Lee Freeman is best remembered as a founding guitarist and co-lead singer for ’60s psychedelic rock band, Strawberry Alarm Clock. Formed in Glendale, California in 1967, the band scored a handful of charting hits, including their biggest, “Incense and Peppermints.” Freeman was still in high school when, in 1965, he co-founded and sang lead for local garage band, Thee Sixpence. Within a couple of years, the group evolved into Strawberry Alarm Clock, a name chosen to pay tribute to the Beatles’ “Strawberry Fields Forever.” “Incense and Peppermints” took a bit longer than most singles to become popular, but by the time it did, it propelled the group’s debut album to #11 on the Billboard charts. It ended up being their only album to chart. Over the next couple of years, they shared the bill with the likes of the Who, Country Joe & The Fish, the Beach Boys, and Jimi Hendrix. Strawberry Alarm Clock disbanded in 1971, but reunited permanently in 1982. In recent months, Freeman and the group were working on new material for potential release on a label owned by Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins. Lee Freeman died on February 14, 2010 following a long struggle with cancer. He was 60.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
A career can't literally die. It's not a physical entity.

David Cross did a very funny bit on people misusing the word "literally" in one of his stand-up routines (I think this one) a few years back.

Edited by BigSqwert