AAP: Miguel Gonzalez

The 18 year-old catcher raking for the BriSox. I'm trying to find some info on him, but so far the best I've found is a quote from the Bristol manager saying he's going to be fun to watch this year.

Last year in the DSL he hit .294 with a .757 OPS. Nothing great, but he is young and plays catcher. Oh and his stats this year...

.429 (12-28) with 2 HR and only one strikeout. A nice 1.217 OPS. Let's hope the Venezuelan can keep up his hot start and become the 3rd catching prospect in the system.

MILB page

• 5 months later...

after reading this....8) Miguel Gonzalez, C (2009 Performance Scores – Power 73; First Base Rate 58; Discipline 70; Speed 39)

Signed out of Venezuela as a 17yo, a year ago, Gonzalez posted the #4 Performance Score in the DSL in his debut. The White Sox brought him to the states in 2009 and had him make his U.S. debut as an 18yo in the APY. There, he once again posted the #4 Performance score in the league. With Gonzalez, you start with good defensive skills that should allow him to stay behind the plate. Add to that a bat that would play at most positions around the diamond. He has plus power potential, good contact skills, and very good plate discipline. If you were compiling this list on pure upside alone, he would likely rate #3 or #4. Unfortunately, we aren’t, and Gonzalez has only had 11 ABs in full season ball. We are very high on him, but will temper our enthusiasm until we see more. 2010 should give us a much clearer picture.

Im intrigued to know more about this kid he sounds like he could be a stud. Does anyone who knows more about him see him as having more upside than flowers?? It kinda looks like he might. anyone else got some info on em?

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
Not much to say?! I don't have him on fb anymore ...he called me "Mami", so he had to go ..I still wanna know what's going on with him ..I'll see him in a few weeks, but I'd like to be caught up before then!!

After a very good 2009 in Bristol, he was disappointing in Kanny last season. He did improve a bit in August, but not a whole lot. He's still only 20 for this coming season, so I'm sure he'll repeat Kanny, and has plenty of time to develop.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
Yeah, .218/.260/.276 in 2010 for Miguel. Not his best work, but since he brings good defense at a premium position he will remain a prospect.

Didn't have a terrible K-rate either. I don't have high hopes for him, but he's still young and has hit in the past.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Miguel is in Winston-Salem this season. He will split time with Mike Blanke at catcher. They both probably belong at that level, but that they will be splitting time says something about their prospect status. If both were still well-rated prospects giving them as much playing time as possible would still be a priority. Gonzalez has only played one game in the Dash's first four.

• 3 years later...