The Military

BobDylan

QUOTE (Kenny_Powers @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 05:23 AM)
i apologize as well.. touchy subject for me because i get this discussion a lot about people who no doubtedly signed up for the free health care and massive amounts of bonus money as well as the ever steady pay check.

No problem at all. I understand.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I left New York to come home, I talked to an American guy at the Check In terminal for Qantas for bout 20 mins, and he was in the Air Force from the mid 90's til the end of the decade.

He basically told me that he got out just before they started doing lots of missions in the Middle East / Iran / Iraq etc. and he was very lucky to get out because once they started doing that they weren't letting people basically quit. Now he was living in Brisbane with a wife and two kids and he said it was the best decision he's ever made in his life.

The military just doesn't appeal to me, although with high school leavers, the Army has become quite popular actually down here.

I was in the Coast Guard for ten years. It was a good experience until after 9/11. Up until that point, I specialized in pollution prevention...inspecting oil and chemical facilities, inspecting freight containers, inspecting cruise ships, responding to oil spills, etc. It was a good job and pretty fun, actually. I spent time in Alaska, Connecticut, Maryland, and Chicago.

But, after 9/11, it all changed. There was a standing order that we did not respond to oil spills less than 1000 gallons. Most spills, even big ones, were pushed off on the EPA. Our job was to sit in the office and wait for the phone to ring telling us of another terrorist attack. Now, I firmly agree with having a strong Homeland Security, but it just wasn't organized right within the CG. Someone earlier posted that the days of rescuing sinking boats and such was a thing of the past. This is true. Although the CG is still there and will respond if needed, the logistics have changed. The primary goal of the CG nowadays is to sit and wait.

Now, I wouldn't tell you to join the service or not. I just wanted to put out there what I have experienced. Navy, Army, Marines, you might have a good chance of going overseas (Iraq or surrounding countries). Even the CG has some cutters over there. If you want to have a good chance of staying stateside, the Coast Guard is your best option. But, like I said, it's not what it used to be.

im going to try to not sound retarded here but, i know going overseas sounds bad but, its really not as bad as you think... especially if you are not in the marines or army.. from my 2 deployments i dont ever think ive ever seen a navy or air force soldier put in any kind of danger unless they were EOD (bomb squad) types. for some reason the military makes sure that the navy and air force get prime facilities even in Iraq! i personally am greatful for my experiences in iraq and would like to go again if i could. but lets say for example youre going to be a Navy Satellite guy, u pretty much have zero chance of ever leaving the wire or getting put in harms way. the only soldiers that get put in those positions are the combat jobs such as Infantrymen, Mortarmen, Tankers, etc. and i would recommend if you DO join the military, pleaseeeeee pick a job that will actually serve you in the future if you decide to get out of the military. you dont want to spend 4 years as a cook (for example) when you want to work in an information technology field after the military.

The idea that only combat arms soldiers ever see danger is false. In Iraq or Afghanistan, as soon as you leave the base camp anyone can get lit up at any time if it's a bad day. The only difference between combat arms and support types in those situations is that combat arms units actually go looking for the enemy, and support units try to avoid it. Obviously I'm not saying that everyone who goes to Iraq sees combat, but it's definitely not just combat arms. That's why the Army created a badge just for non-combat arms soldiers who've been to combat.

Having said that, if you pick a job, yes, absolutely find one that is of use when you get out (I did). Combat arms guys used to talk s*** to me about how I wasn't a "real soldier" etc. (despite the fact that I've actually seen combat, just not as often as them) or that I should STFU and do paperwork, but I'd ask "hey, what exactly are you going to do with your skills on the .50 cal you keep bragging about when you leave the Army, dumbass? As if firing a 50 is really that complicated to begin with?"

QUOTE (Kenny_Powers @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
im going to try to not sound retarded here but, i know going overseas sounds bad but, its really not as bad as you think... especially if you are not in the marines or army.. from my 2 deployments i dont ever think ive ever seen a navy or air force soldier put in any kind of danger unless they were EOD (bomb squad) types. for some reason the military makes sure that the navy and air force get prime facilities even in Iraq! i personally am greatful for my experiences in iraq and would like to go again if i could. but lets say for example youre going to be a Navy Satellite guy, u pretty much have zero chance of ever leaving the wire or getting put in harms way. the only soldiers that get put in those positions are the combat jobs such as Infantrymen, Mortarmen, Tankers, etc. and i would recommend if you DO join the military, pleaseeeeee pick a job that will actually serve you in the future if you decide to get out of the military. you dont want to spend 4 years as a cook (for example) when you want to work in an information technology field after the military.

Kenny Powers served in the military? Well I'll be damned.

its all a matter of where you get placed at overseas. my two deployments i was stuck on a tiny fob in the middle of the iraqi "ghetto". but we would convoy to the nice camps in iraq and see air force and navy guys swimming in olympic sized outdoor swimmng pools, eating taco bell and talking on cell phones.

Also you have to develop a high tolerance for BS. I'm not sure how much this applies to the Navy or Air Force, but in the Army and Marines there is an asshole around every corner who gets off on bossing people around. These people are usually losers who truth be told couldn't make it outside of the military, because once you're in no matter how fat, stupid, lazy, or incompetent you are, short of committing a crime, there's always a place for you. Because they need numbers they are loath to have to put anyone out unless they really have to. The people who don't fit this description start thinning out at the higher ranks just leaving the assholes which becomes sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

At the same time, if you have a problem and it isn't something related to the quality of your leadership, there is ALWAYS somewhere to go to help you with your problem.

QUOTE (Kenny_Powers @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
its all a matter of where you get placed at overseas. my two deployments i was stuck on a tiny fob in the middle of the iraqi "ghetto". but we would convoy to the nice camps in iraq and see air force and navy guys swimming in olympic sized outdoor swimmng pools, eating taco bell and talking on cell phones.

I was way out damn near isolated on a s***ty FOB. We'd have USO shows and whatnot coming and I'd always miss them. Going to one of the big bases with all the shopping and Pizza Huts and whatnot felt like a vacation. Oh and the free food at those places is AWESOME.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
Also you have to develop a high tolerance for BS. I'm not sure how much this applies to the Navy or Air Force, but in the Army and Marines there is an asshole around every corner who gets off on bossing people around. These people are usually losers who truth be told couldn't make it outside of the military, because once you're in no matter how fat, stupid, lazy, or incompetent you are, short of committing a crime, there's always a place for you. Because they need numbers they are loath to have to put anyone out unless they really have to. The people who don't fit this description start thinning out at the higher ranks just leaving the assholes which becomes sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

At the same time, if you have a problem and it isn't something related to the quality of your leadership, there is ALWAYS somewhere to go to help you with your problem.

omg yes, we refer to those people as "that guy", you dont want to run into "that guy" because he will correct your appearance and make you look like an idiot in front of your wife and kids if he has to. just to make himself feel like a sergeant major. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Kenny_Powers @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
omg yes, we refer to those people as "that guy", you dont want to run into "that guy" because he will correct your appearance and make you look like an idiot in front of your wife and kids if he has to. just to make himself feel like a sergeant major. :lolhitting

Haha yeah... I just got off a convoy once and I had my buttons on my sleeves undone and my trouser legs pulled out of the boots (because it was f***ing 125 degrees and I was sitting in a gun turret for 2 hours) and as I was getting out of the vehicle unloading some E7 had the nerve to make me stand at parade rest while he asked why I wasn't wearing my uniform according to regulation. I wanted to say "the f*** is wrong with you, have you ever left this comfy basecamp? I was about to fix it when I got settled in here in the next few minutes, sorry that's not fast enough for you, please go play around fast moving buses" but I just said "yes sergeant" because it got him to shut up faster.

Sergeant majors have nothing to do in a combat zone, or most of the time for that matter so they just run around telling people what to do to make themselves feel important.

Edited by lostfan

Yes, picking a job that will translate to the civilian world is very important. I often got slack, called a p****, etc. for doing what I did, but when I got out I got a job right away dealing with the same thing I did in the CG. Not sure the guys who spent their whole career at sea could say the same thing. There was a common saying, "Choose your rate, choose your fate".

My brother dropped out of college and joined the Marine Corps after 9/11 because he wanted to serve his country. My whole family was trying to convince him to finish his degree first (he had 2 years left), but he wasn't hearing any of it. So, he did his 4 years and is out now. He didn't necessarily like the way the Marine Corps was run and he didn't want to stay in, but he always says he wouldn't change his decision if he could. It was a good experience, but 4 years was enough.

That said, he has told me that if I'm ever thinking about joining the military, the Navy would be the way to go (particularly one of their special forces units --> not sure how likely that is). He trained with Navy EOD guys and SEALS while his unit was on loan to the Navy from the Marine Corps, and has the utmost respect for those guys. Says they're pure badasses on the job and cool as can be off it.

i actually have a question for those that have left the military. does anyone know how easy/hard it is to score a federal job after you get out? the VA reps that i talk to tell me that federal jobs have a "veterans preference" thing goin on and i wanted to know how much of a difference it really makes if anyone knows.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
There may be a Veteran's Preference" when it comes to federal jobs, but I don't think it gives you much of an advantage.

I thought some jobs were only available to veterans? I've seen signs at the post office where they were only accepting applications from vets.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
I thought some jobs were only available to veterans? I've seen signs at the post office where they were only accepting applications from vets.

This could be the case, I'm not sure. I never looked at all of the different types of federal jobs available, but the ones I looked into were not geared towards veterans only.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
What does FOB stand for?

Also, is/was anyone on this site a SEAL? I know the chances are slim, but you never know. Does anyone know one personally?

Fob = Forward Operating Base.. I dont know any seals, but ive met tons ot Army Rangers, and Special Forces types.. Even a couple of Delta boys when i was in kuwait. The training is definitely not easy. if youre going to seriously pursue it, first off you have to make sure ur in amazing shape, make sure u can run like the wind and do pushups and situps for days. Also make sure u can read a map like its nothing and that youre not scared of heights. basically everyone told me the same thing, dring the training there will be days where you will absolutely just want to tap out but the ones that make it through are the ones that just plain refuse to quit.. i know it sounds simple but the crap they put you through in the training is quite unlike anything ull ever experience ever again.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
Fob = Forward Operating Base.. I dont know any seals, but ive met tons ot Army Rangers, and Special Forces types.. Even a couple of Delta boys when i was in kuwait. The training is definitely not easy. if youre going to seriously pursue it, first off you have to make sure ur in amazing shape, make sure u can run like the wind and do pushups and situps for days. Also make sure u can read a map like its nothing and that youre not scared of heights. basically everyone told me the same thing, dring the training there will be days where you will absolutely just want to tap out but the ones that make it through are the ones that just plain refuse to quit.. i know it sounds simple but the crap they put you through in the training is quite unlike anything ull ever experience ever again.

Oh, I had absolutely no intention of trying to join. Haha, the idea of me even making it through a day of that training is hilarious. I just wondered if anyone here had personal experience with it.