Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

I don't have an issue with the signing of Hossa. Even with the injury and the possibility of him missing some time, he will be an effective addition. The 12-year contract is a bit confusing as I wonder if he'll even play that long. However, he's a big time player and will make an impact. I'm a die hard Penguins fan, and I loved having Hossa two years ago. I didn't like his decision to sign with Detroit, but I still respected the guy and his ability. Being a fan of the Hawks, also, I'm excited to see him sign. He does improve the Hawks' chances at raising the Cup.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
I love the Blackhawks but since McDonough has been the President, the hawks took on a cub identity. We have signed Campbell and Huet on big deals just to make a splash and now Hossa to make another splash even though he is hurt. I dont mind the hawks spending but be wise. Cubs have Soriano, Bradley, Fukudome on big deals but no wins. Hope the hawks dont become like the cubs.

Except the Hawks are developing some of the best young players in the game. And Hossa is a better player than Bradley and Soriano combined.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:35 AM)
I don't have an issue with the signing of Hossa. Even with the injury and the possibility of him missing some time, he will be an effective addition. The 12-year contract is a bit confusing as I wonder if he'll even play that long. However, he's a big time player and will make an impact. I'm a die hard Penguins fan, and I loved having Hossa two years ago. I didn't like his decision to sign with Detroit, but I still respected the guy and his ability. Being a fan of the Hawks, also, I'm excited to see him sign. He does improve the Hawks' chances at raising the Cup.

The last few years of the contract are an afterthought. They could jettison him and he wouldn't count much towards the books. I think under $1M. In other words, I don't think he's going to play all 12 years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 08:15 PM)
Except the Hawks are developing some of the best young players in the game. And Hossa is a better player than Bradley and Soriano combined.

But how long until those best young players are gone?

The minors are wearing thin...our two best spects Beach and Aliu are boom-bust prospects, we have very little money to spend on NUMEROUS free agents next year.

If they are able to keep Keith, Toews and Kane next year without jettisoning numerous '2nd tier guys' I will be astounded and shocked.

Now comes this Hossa thing...no one thinks having one of your best players being out for 20 some games could hurt? Remember two years ago? The hawks missed the playoffs by 3 POINTS. J.Toews missed 18 games that season...of those 18 games, they won only FOUR I believe. Great player out, can't win, miss playoffs.

Now, I don't think that will happen this year. I think there is enough talent to hold off the fort, but these managing decisions are mind-boggling. Not getting a physical on a guy prior to inking him to a 60 million dollar contract is bad.

Sorry, but right now the Blackhawks are a poorly run organization. They have been winning on the ice, because they were also previously poorly run and were able to parlay that incompetence into high picks/good talent. Toss in some excellent scouting wins where the Hawks landed excellent value and you have a good baseline of talent.

but the ability to manage the organization is questionable at this time. I hope I am wrong...I hope Stan can really turn things around or I fear the Blackhawks window of opportunity will close before it even opens, and playing in the West with the great young teams will be challenging...also, St.Louis is already a terrific young team and still have a bucketload of prospects ready to come up. Columbus is also good and young and has what may be a star in the making goalie.

In short, It's not gonna be easy for an organization that makes snaufs like the hawks have been making.

Clean it up Stan

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
But how long until those best young players are gone?

The minors are wearing thin...our two best spects Beach and Aliu are boom-bust prospects, we have very little money to spend on NUMEROUS free agents next year.

If they are able to keep Keith, Toews and Kane next year without jettisoning numerous '2nd tier guys' I will be astounded and shocked.

Now comes this Hossa thing...no one thinks having one of your best players being out for 20 some games could hurt? Remember two years ago? The hawks missed the playoffs by 3 POINTS. J.Toews missed 18 games that season...of those 18 games, they won only FOUR I believe. Great player out, can't win, miss playoffs.

Now, I don't think that will happen this year. I think there is enough talent to hold off the fort, but these managing decisions are mind-boggling. Not getting a physical on a guy prior to inking him to a 60 million dollar contract is bad.

Sorry, but right now the Blackhawks are a poorly run organization. They have been winning on the ice, because they were also previously poorly run and were able to parlay that incompetence into high picks/good talent. Toss in some excellent scouting wins where the Hawks landed excellent value and you have a good baseline of talent.

but the ability to manage the organization is questionable at this time. I hope I am wrong...I hope Stan can really turn things around or I fear the Blackhawks window of opportunity will close before it even opens, and playing in the West with the great young teams will be challenging...also, St.Louis is already a terrific young team and still have a bucketload of prospects ready to come up. Columbus is also good and young and has what may be a star in the making goalie.

In short, It's not gonna be easy for an organization that makes snaufs like the hawks have been making.

Clean it up Stan

The entire NHL knows what the odds are that Havlat plays 80 games again next year. Last year was the first time it has EVER happened covering a nine year career. He hadn't even been over 70 since his second year in the league. The same argument could have been made for keeping him around. As for Hossa he has played at least 70 games for the last 10 seasons. His numbers also kick sand into the face of anything Havlat has ever done.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
The last few years of the contract are an afterthought. They could jettison him and he wouldn't count much towards the books. I think under $1M. In other words, I don't think he's going to play all 12 years.

Isn't the contract spread evenly over all 12 years whether Hossa is playing or not hence the rationale for a 12 year deal? Kind of like salary cap deferral.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
The entire NHL knows what the odds are that Havlat plays 80 games again next year. Last year was the first time it has EVER happened covering a nine year career. He hadn't even been over 70 since his second year in the league. The same argument could have been made for keeping him around. As for Hossa he has played at least 70 games for the last 10 seasons. His numbers also kick sand into the face of anything Havlat has ever done.

Where in my post did I say the Hawks should have signed Marty? I didnt. In fact, I didn't even approach it.

My view on Marty was to sign him to a 1 year deal, see if he can break the durability problems and then maybe ink him longer term if needed next year, OR ... let him walk if another winger develops thus allowing us to resign all our main pieces.

So Marty balked at the one year deal and the negotiations were finished. No problem there. Hossa was NOT the only game in town at that point, but if he was the main game, then fine...why no serious questions about his terrible fall from grace in the playoffs (a fall likely caused by this injury?). Was there no question that Hossa "could be" a player with a lot of tread on his tire and while he's been healthy to this point, now is when the nagging injuries that a 10 year NHL career sometimes give you, start to manifest themselves? It appears the Hawks had no serious discussions about Hossa other than, "we gotta go get him"...it was a haphazard move and now that we'll spend the first 1/4 of the season playing without him, let us all hope the remaining kids can hold things together.

I am not saying Hossa is NOT a good player, he clearly is a very good player and is better than Havlat in the defensive and neutral zones. I like Havlat's game better in the offensive zone from the standpoint of being able to create his own shot, but yes...given the equal choice between Hossa and Havlat I'd lean Hossa, but that's no longer a valid argument since Hossa is going to be coming back from -ironically- a shoulder surgery (the same thing that plagued Marty 2 years ago here in Chicago) and won't be on the ice for 4 months....

those 4 months he misses is NOT JUST the games he is actually not playing, but he misses valuable time building team chemistry on the ice with his would-be line mates. So even when he comes back, it's possible his line will be out of sync for some period of time as they build this needed chemistry. Toss in the fact, our most complete line last year (Bolland/Havlat/Ladd) is no longer in existence. I am certainly not calling my Uncle in Chicago asking him to reserve me those Stanley Cup tickets right now.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
Where in my post did I say the Hawks should have signed Marty? I didnt. In fact, I didn't even approach it.

My view on Marty was to sign him to a 1 year deal, see if he can break the durability problems and then maybe ink him longer term if needed next year, OR ... let him walk if another winger develops thus allowing us to resign all our main pieces.

So Marty balked at the one year deal and the negotiations were finished. No problem there. Hossa was NOT the only game in town at that point, but if he was the main game, then fine...why no serious questions about his terrible fall from grace in the playoffs (a fall likely caused by this injury?). Was there no question that Hossa "could be" a player with a lot of tread on his tire and while he's been healthy to this point, now is when the nagging injuries that a 10 year NHL career sometimes give you, start to manifest themselves? It appears the Hawks had no serious discussions about Hossa other than, "we gotta go get him"...it was a haphazard move and now that we'll spend the first 1/4 of the season playing without him, let us all hope the remaining kids can hold things together.

I am not saying Hossa is NOT a good player, he clearly is a very good player and is better than Havlat in the defensive and neutral zones. I like Havlat's game better in the offensive zone from the standpoint of being able to create his own shot, but yes...given the equal choice between Hossa and Havlat I'd lean Hossa, but that's no longer a valid argument since Hossa is going to be coming back from -ironically- a shoulder surgery (the same thing that plagued Marty 2 years ago here in Chicago) and won't be on the ice for 4 months....

those 4 months he misses is NOT JUST the games he is actually not playing, but he misses valuable time building team chemistry on the ice with his would-be line mates. So even when he comes back, it's possible his line will be out of sync for some period of time as they build this needed chemistry. Toss in the fact, our most complete line last year (Bolland/Havlat/Ladd) is no longer in existence. I am certainly not calling my Uncle in Chicago asking him to reserve me those Stanley Cup tickets right now.

So what big time scorer was willing to come to Chicago on a one year deal to replace Havlat?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
The amount of people saying the overlooking of Hossa's injury is "no big deal" is shocking to me. There's no way the front office knew about this injury at the time of the signing, despite what they say.

True that. And how do you sign a guy to a 12 year deal and not even make him take a physical before???

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
Supposedly the Hawks say they knew about his injury before signing him...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
Which was probably discovered during the .... PHYSICAL :bang

Then why wasn't it brought up when they were running their new signees out there for a nice, clean Press Conference? This just reeks... if they knew, then be up front. As a fan who has enjoyed the way things have gone of recent, there have been enough muckups for anyone to question it and be a tad turned off by said events.

Blackhawks offseason timeline

- Yay! Marian Hossa! We're amazing!

- report comes out that players were not offered contracts

- Hawks brass immediately refutes it as "no big deal" and say things will be fine

- moments later, first contracts are signed for players who should have had cheap contracts

- things start sounding worse, big money going to have to be paid if NHLPA files grievence... which happens

- burn millions of unneeded dollars for failure to mail contracts

- fire dale tallon

- tons of reports saying it was in fact Stan Bowman's fault, who was promoted

- reports start flying that McDonough has been forcing big contracts

- Hossa injured?

- Front Office: no big deal

- Hossa injured!

- Front Office: we knew all along... we piss on 12-year deals

- Hossa out 4 months!

It's just a clusterf***. I want the team to be honest to me, which they obviously have not been much of lately.

Well the Hawks said they knew his shoulder was messed up and even the Wings said he played through the playoffs with it being hurt....Hawks can't blame anyone but themselves here. I just wonder who is going to make up for his offense while he is out until Dec???

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
The amount of people saying the overlooking of Hossa's injury is "no big deal" is shocking to me. There's no way the front office knew about this injury at the time of the signing, despite what they say.

He's signed for 12 years (and will play for what, 8?). So he's out 2-3 months. It is not a big deal. It's not a one year contract.

And they probably knew something was up at the time of the signing. Even if they didn't, who cares? The cup is won in June. If the team can't play through 2 months without him, then they won't do s*** with him.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
Then why wasn't it brought up when they were running their new signees out there for a nice, clean Press Conference? This just reeks... if they knew, then be up front. As a fan who has enjoyed the way things have gone of recent, there have been enough muckups for anyone to question it and be a tad turned off by said events.

Blackhawks offseason timeline

- Yay! Marian Hossa! We're amazing!

- report comes out that players were not offered contracts

- Hawks brass immediately refutes it as "no big deal" and say things will be fine

- moments later, first contracts are signed for players who should have had cheap contracts

- things start sounding worse, big money going to have to be paid if NHLPA files grievence... which happens

- burn millions of unneeded dollars for failure to mail contracts

- fire dale tallon

- tons of reports saying it was in fact Stan Bowman's fault, who was promoted

- reports start flying that McDonough has been forcing big contracts

- Hossa injured?

- Front Office: no big deal

- Hossa injured!

- Front Office: we knew all along... we piss on 12-year deals

- Hossa out 4 months!

It's just a clusterf***. I want the team to be honest to me, which they obviously have not been much of lately.

How many press confrences have you seen where a team started talking about the results of a physical? Seriously. Its completely obvious what happened here. There has been a power struggle developing ever since Rocky Wirtz took over the team. The guys from the old group are getting pushed out and are pissed about it. That is what all of the dirty rumors are about on both sides. If this kind of stuff bothers you, you probably shouldn't watch professional sports, because this kind of stuff happens all of the time.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)

Even though it's fairly obvious that this was the intent of the cheap years tacked on at the end, I don't know how you prove that unless there are tapes or emails out there.

Which would be INCREDIBLY stupid.