Halladay Superthread

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (DC23MVP @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
I think that a Floyd, Beckham, and Alexei for Halladay deal is pretty good for us, but I don't think we need to do it. We'd have a whole at 3B and at SS that would be hard to fill, and I think it wouldn't be worth it.

You, are nuts.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure dealing one of our best pitchers (along with others) for Halladay would be worth it. I would think any deal the Sox come up with would be more prospect heavy, although I know the Jays would be looking for someone MLB ready.

We talked about this in the Halladay thread and in the buyer/seller thread. Bearsox and I think Ramirez, Poreda, Richard and maybe a Fields+ more would be acceptable only if Toronto includes Rolen in the deal and pay half of his contract for next season. This also being a hope that Halladay signs an extension.

There is no way KW involves Beckham in any sort of a deal. And KW wants to move forward with 2 solid righties in the rotation for this year and next, losing Floyd puts him back at square one. If a deal goes down for a pitcher- Poreda is likely on of the centerpieces.

QUOTE (DC23MVP @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
I think that a Floyd, Beckham, and Alexei for Halladay deal is pretty good for us, but I don't think we need to do it. We'd have a whole at 3B and at SS that would be hard to fill, and I think it wouldn't be worth it.

Heh.

Ramirez, Poreda, Richard and maybe a Fields+ more would be acceptable only if Toronto includes Rolen

I personally wouldnt touch that deal at all.

I just dont see why the Sox would trade Ramirez for 1.5 years of Rolen/Halladay. Yeah they are both good, but I just dont feel that the Sox should be trading Ramirez for 1.5 years of veteran players.

Itd be one thing if Rolen or Halladay were under 30 signed for a few years.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
The Sox aren't getting Halladay, and they'll never trade Beckham in the next decade.

I agree that the Sox are not realistically in the sweepstakes to acquire Halladay. KW will not trade away Beckham, and I don't see him trading Alexei either. If KW were to get Halladay without giving up Beckham, Alexei, Poreda, or the other few "untouchables", he'd be a thief.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
Maybe I am crazy, but I'd trade Beckham. Straight up only tho - no one else.

I wouldn't deal Beckham straight up for Halladay. Beckham is about as close to a guaranteed future star as you’re ever going to see.

Six more seasons of Beckham for a total cost of roughly $20 million is insanely more valuable than a year and a half of Halladay.

QUOTE (DC23MVP @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)

That would be one of the worst trades in the history of baseball. I wouldn't trade Gavin straight up for Halladay all things considered (no, I'm not saying Gavin is better than Halladay). If I made a trade, I'd built it around Alexei or Bekcham and even than I'd rather not go after Roy and instead focus my attention on other areas.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
I wouldn't deal Beckham straight up for Halladay. Beckham is about as close to a guaranteed future star as you’re ever going to see.

Six more seasons of Beckham for a total cost of roughly $20 million is insanely more valuable than a year and a half of Halladay.

What if you get a World Series title in the next three seasons? Would that make it worth it?

QUOTE (DC23MVP @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)

Please turn in your crazy pills and do some research on market value for ace pitchers with 1.5 years left on their contract. Gavin, plus some decent minor league talent should get that done.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
What if you get a World Series title in the next three seasons? Would that make it worth it?

Ummm, how many titles do the Blue Jays have and they have had halladay for 14 years, seeing as we have so many MLB ready infielders in our minor league system I am sure we could replace the entire left side of our infield no problem. And Halladay isn't that much better than Gavin, especially since you are only getting 1.5 years out of him at a high price, the only good news is he comes off the books for the 2010 free agency year which is flush with stars.

Edited by chiguy79