Supplements

Jake

I took creatine for a month awhile back and I thought it worked pretty well. I didn't notice any loss of strength gains after stopping it like some people say happens. I took it when I first started working out seriously and it really did help me recover faster.

Now I don't use anything, mainly b/c I can't afford to be buying protein, etc. when I have tuition and rent to pay. But, if I get a a little extra income soon, I'm gonna pick up some whey protein. I think that's the only thing I'll ever be taking from here on out. I liked my creatine experience, but there's still too much against it (like unknown long-term effects) for me to want to take it again.

Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Protein. I bought it at GNC. Before going to the store I did some research and found ON to be consistently rated among the best protein supplements for both content and value. There are approximately 80 servings per container, and each serving has 24G of Protein. Compared to other supplements I plan on taking six scoops a day on weight training day and three on cardio days. This should hold me over for three weeks.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Protein. I bought it at GNC. Before going to the store I did some research and found ON to be consistently rated among the best protein supplements for both content and value. There are approximately 80 servings per container, and each serving has 24G of Protein. Compared to other supplements I plan on taking six scoops a day on weight training day and three on cardio days. This should hold me over for three weeks.

I agree, ON Protein is a pretty good brand, tastes great too. The only thing I'll add is to shop around for a good price for it. In my experience, it's roughly 10 bucks more at GNC than it is elsewhere.

I'm a pitcher, and it seemed like my recovery wasn't up to snuff. Now I take GNC Pro Performance Amplified Wheybolic 60 on days I pitch, and just straight up Whey Protein on the other days. I was also turned on to the Maximum Greens Multivitamin Vitapacks, with the multivitamins, a flaxseed oil pill, two calcium tablets, and a pill of digestive enzymes. Seems to have worked thus far.

QUOTE (rowandrules83 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 12:32 AM)
I agree, ON Protein is a pretty good brand, tastes great too. The only thing I'll add is to shop around for a good price for it. In my experience, it's roughly 10 bucks more at GNC than it is elsewhere.

Do you know where else they sell it? GNC had it for $55. I'll be more willing to look around after my next purchase, which is 20% off because I bought one of their Gold Cards.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
Do you know where else they sell it? GNC had it for $55. I'll be more willing to look around after my next purchase, which is 20% off because I bought one of their Gold Cards.

I go to a place called FitRx in Roselle, there's also one in Algonquin. It sells for around $42 there. With that big a price difference, I'm guessing there's other retailers that also have competitive prices well less than GNC.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)

Is that the 5lb tub?

GNC makes this stuff called 'Creatine Plus'. It's basically creatine plus aminos. People will tell you that creatine is an outdated myth, but that stuff has always worked real well for me and it's dirt cheap. Take a lot for your loading phase and then maintain. I do two months on, one month off.

By the way, I've tried more 'advanced' types of creatine and none of it has worked nearly as well.

Of course protein is a must.

right now I drink whey protein, it helps get me protein and fills me up.

In the past I've used creatine and it works. Once you start loading you notice 2-3 extra reps pretty quickly and since you're taking extra water on it blows your muscles up. Now I was taking it when labs were often dirty, so I wouldn't be shocked if I had some extra help in there

Has anyone tried any of the N-O products??

I tried it for a bout two months and I just found it be very speed like. I got a horrible headache and a huge crash after my workouts. I'd have to nap for two hours right after each work out. I did get some really good pumps during my workout, but I saw no permanent size or strength gains.

I use Muscle Milk most of the time, and sometimes put in some PURE protein as well.

I use MM for really 2 reasons:

1. Its delicious

2. It seems to work and is pretty reputable.

In the past their formula had much too high of sugar content, but they have lowered it a bit in the present. If that concerns you, they have MM light which is also delicious.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
Has anyone tried any of the N-O products??

I tried it for a bout two months and I just found it be very speed like. I got a horrible headache and a huge crash after my workouts. I'd have to nap for two hours right after each work out. I did get some really good pumps during my workout, but I saw no permanent size or strength gains.

I haven't tried NO products, but from the symptoms you're describing you may have had an overload of protein. I noticed in the past when I took too much in a short period of time I'd feel terrible.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
Is there a rule for how much is too much? Can't say I've ever hit those symptoms, but I have been looking to add protein to my diet lately.

I think you'd just be wasting it if you took too much. You'd s*** it all out and your body would not absorb it.

Rule is eat one gram of protein per pound of body weight you want. If you weigh 200 and want to lose 15lbs, intake 185 grams of protein throughout your day. If you weigh 150 and want to add ten pounds of muscle, intake 160 grams. Also studies have shown that 20 grams of protein following your workout is enough to speed muscle growth. More protein didn't do any harm, it also didnt provide any further benifits to muscle growth (Mens Health, Canadian Research). Still i take 48grams after a workout just add to my protein intake for the day.

I used to take a product called N.O. Explode before workouts, and it really helped me to have some great workouts. After taking it prior to every workout for around a month, I forgot it one day and felt rather lethargic and was 5 or 10 pounds down as well as a couple reps short on everything I was doing. If you want to use that sort of thing though, don't take it before doing any sort of endurance training. You'll burn out rather quickly if you're doing long distance running or something of that sort.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
I used to take a product called N.O. Explode before workouts, and it really helped me to have some great workouts. After taking it prior to every workout for around a month, I forgot it one day and felt rather lethargic and was 5 or 10 pounds down as well as a couple reps short on everything I was doing. If you want to use that sort of thing though, don't take it before doing any sort of endurance training. You'll burn out rather quickly if you're doing long distance running or something of that sort.

Yep, it's basically speed. You'll work out like an animal for about 45 mins to an hour, then crash HARD.

Did you see any size gains?

I'm not sure that I gained above and beyond what you would normally get from working out at the same intensity, but taking it allowed me to reach an intensity that I never could reach without it.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 11:48 PM)
Yep, it's basically speed. You'll work out like an animal for about 45 mins to an hour, then crash HARD.

Did you see any size gains?

Sounds unsafe and unnecessary.

• 11 months later...

GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60, been taking it for 8 months now. It says 3 scoops per serving, but 60g of protein is overkill all at once and you'll blow throught it quick. So I usually have one shake with 1 scoop in the morning, and then same thing right after my workout. I really enjoy using this stuff and have seen pretty good gains, and still havent plateaued yet really.