We love you Gordon, oh yes we do

chisoxfan09

We could do the much better comparison.

David Wright's rookie year (69 games) .293/.332/.857

Beckham thus far (52 games) .316/.376/.879 (and this includes his HORRENDOUS START)

Plus, Gordon passes the eye-test. He's going to be one of the game's elite.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beckham thus far (52 games) .316/.376/.879 (and this includes his HORRENDOUS START)

That 2008 draft was loaded with talent. Matusz looks real good, but with Beckham getting on the scene so fast and so successful, do you think other teams are kinda kicking themselves a little bit for not getting a ML-ready player out of college?

QUOTE (DanksFan @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
That 2008 draft was loaded with talent. Matusz looks real good, but with Beckham getting on the scene so fast and so successful, do you think other teams are kinda kicking themselves a little bit for not getting a ML-ready player out of college?

Hard to say.

I'm sure there is a little more pressure on those teams with Beckham doing so well, but I'm sure they're taking the route the Twins took when they took Mauer over Prior. They told their fan base to "wait and see". I'm surprised Buster Posey hasn't raced through the minors, but it won't take him long. Smoak is another good looking prospect coming out of the draft but he was taken AFTER Beckham and is hitting .220 in AAA.

Edited by rockren

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)

The awesomeness of Gordon Beckham cannot be measured with mere numbers. Much like describing a sunset, 'tis folly to even try.

Not that I'm a fan of comparisons either, but I think the best comparison has been, and still is Michael Young during his prime. Gordan could easily fall into a deviation where he has better years than young ever did or slightly worse. Lest this all still remains to be seen...

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
...check out Jeff Francouer's rookie stats and remember how people were so ga-ga over him too...

.300/.336/.549/.885

70 GP, 272 AB, 14 HR, 20 2B, 1 3B, 45 RBI, 11BB

it would seem like the lack of walks and reliance on homers made this predictable, but Francoeur was hitting .300 over 70 games with a ton of doubles...doesn't that sound familiar?

His career line is currently a disappointing .266/.308/.424/.732 and the power numbers have been relatively down since 06 - just 82 career homers.

So what happened to Jeff Francouer? Couldn't the same thing happen to Beckham?

one sounds french, the other American. I'm going with the American.

QUOTE (DanksFan @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)

I've said that for since beckham started tearing it up for the sox in the minors, i think the rays and reds made a HUGE mistake passing on him. Yes i realize the rays have bartlett at SS along with Brignac, and why did the reds take Alonso; they had Votto. Oh well all the better for us.

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
Yes, Yes. Don't forget the eye test.

Its tough. Right now I'd say that most of that front-end of the class looks real good. The Reds clearly are kicking themselves for passing up on Smoak and Beckham for Alonso and the Marlins are doing the same for Kyle Skipworth.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
wow, tough crowd

delete thread, I guess?

I was about to pile on too, but you do have a point about getting too carried away because of a few months of baseball. The league could adjust somehow.

Beckham sure seems like the real deal the way at such a young age, he is hitting everything thrown at him to all fields. We can hope/guess that he is not chemically enhanced because he really isn't that big and hasn't grown into his "man body". The Sox really do seem to have added a player to definitely get excited about an looks to have true superstar potential. The national media might even showcase him and his modest smile. He's clutch, his defense will improve wherever he ends up, he will develop more power, and learn the pitchers. Beckhamaina! can not be stopped.

Here’s a great article from Fangraphs about just how valuable Gordon Beckham has been to this team. In short, “Even with the rough start and some struggles learning third base, Beckham has been worth +1.2 wins in 53 games with the White Sox. Calling up the youngster after just two months in the minors has been one of the main reasons the White Sox are still in the AL Central race. If the White Sox fans weren’t sold on their first round pick a year ago, they are now - this kid is the real deal.”

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/b...it-like-beckham

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
...check out Jeff Francouer's rookie stats and remember how people were so ga-ga over him too...

.300/.336/.549/.885

70 GP, 272 AB, 14 HR, 20 2B, 1 3B, 45 RBI, 11BB

it would seem like the lack of walks and reliance on homers made this predictable, but Francoeur was hitting .300 over 70 games with a ton of doubles...doesn't that sound familiar?

His career line is currently a disappointing .266/.308/.424/.732 and the power numbers have been relatively down since 06 - just 82 career homers.

So what happened to Jeff Francouer? Couldn't the same thing happen to Beckham?

Jeff Francouer and Gordon Beckham are radically different players, with radically different approaches at the plate. Two compare both players against each other would be absurd.