Films Thread

juddling

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe how good the reviews have been for Avatar. The previews looked like it was just a big long video game. I might have to go see it.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
They just don't make movies like they used to... it's that simple.

Which is both good and bad, IMO.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
I can't believe how good the reviews have been for Avatar. The previews looked like it was just a big long video game. I might have to go see it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Besides, watching it at the movies is a must for this one.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)
Did you guys see it in 3D?

Yah, I wear glasses so I had to wear the 3d glasses on top of those but it still looked great. And it wasn't too uncomforatlbe. I did notice that the colors looked brighter when I took off the 3d glasses periodically, so that might be one drawback.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)

I thought there was a good chance I'd hate Avatar, or at least be let down a lot. It was one of the best movie experiences of my life. It's not the best movie I've ever seen, or even close, but it was like my mind was constantly being blown by the amazing visuals.

You have to see it in Imax 3D.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 07:50 PM)
I'm seeing it in 3D on the IMAX tonight. I'll let ya know what I think.

So am I, and after talking to a bunch of people who have seen it, the movie itself is average, but the visuals are supposed to be just incredible which makes it a much watch in IMAX 3D and probably not worth the money in 2D.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
I thought there was a good chance I'd hate Avatar, or at least be let down a lot. It was one of the best movie experiences of my life. It's not the best movie I've ever seen, or even close, but it was like my mind was constantly being blown by the amazing visuals.

You have to see it in Imax 3D.

I just got back and I can honestly say I didn't really like it. Now the visuals are absolutely incredible and I think they could revolutionize movies going forward. However, the movie itself was hampered by an extremely mediocre plot, terrible love story and horrible dialogue. Plus, quite frankly I thought while the world Cameron created was amazing to look at, the story was really boring to follow (and very predictable). For me I almost have to give the movie two grades, the visuals are an A+ and really worth the price of admission alone. The story, dialogue, etc. I would give a C.

And I really could have done without being hit over the head with the fact that humans are destroying the Earth and nature is all connected nonsense. Plus, was no one else bothered by the fact that a human guy falls in love and hooks up with a 10 ft tall blue alien? I mean come on now.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
Let me hear your thoughts, please?

The bad is, in general, the plot lines and writing in modern movies has generally been getting shallower. A lot shallower, on average. There are exceptions of course. But for most modern films, there is so little attempt at challenging the viewer to think a little bit. And I don't mean think as in solving a puzzle, necessarily - I mean really think about the human characters on the screen. They are just so shallow now, most of the time, and so predictable. I think decades ago, movies were better at providing something deeper.

That's just one example.

As for the opposite side, I think the dialogue and small scale human behaviors, are more believable now. They may not be trying as hard to reach as far, but they feel more real. They sound more like something someone would actually say. And I'm not talking about generational gap here either - a lot of the dialogue in those older films was beautifully crafted, but it wasn't anything someone was actually going to say, even then.

There's a couple examples for you, to start with.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 02:01 AM)

And I really could have done without being hit over the head with the fact that humans are destroying the Earth and nature is all connected nonsense. Plus, was no one else bothered by the fact that a human guy falls in love and hooks up with a 10 ft tall blue alien? I mean come on now.

I was laughing when she was holding him in her arms, as he touched her face near the end of the movie. That was totally corny, pretty ridiculous looking, and kinda creepy.

The movie was still one of the best I've ever seen in the movies. I'd definetly recommend it

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 12:54 AM)
It was just an awesome experience in IMAX 3D. Just stunning. I know 100% that I would shell out the 13 bucks to do it again. I was in the second row so I need to see it from further back.

Damn. 13 bucks? Can I just go get high & catch a matinee?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
I just got back and I can honestly say I didn't really like it. Now the visuals are absolutely incredible and I think they could revolutionize movies going forward. However, the movie itself was hampered by an extremely mediocre plot, terrible love story and horrible dialogue. Plus, quite frankly I thought while the world Cameron created was amazing to look at, the story was really boring to follow (and very predictable). For me I almost have to give the movie two grades, the visuals are an A+ and really worth the price of admission alone. The story, dialogue, etc. I would give a C.

Was I the only one rooting for the humans to wipe the floor with them?