MARK BUEHRLE PITCHES THE 18TH PERFECT GAME IN HISTORY

southsider2k5

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
Are we all glad that we didn't trade Buehrle at the deadline a few years back?

I can't remember who was talking about it a few days ago, but when have you ever heard a stadium chanting "Sign Buehrle" like we were that year?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 05:00 PM)
Gabe Kapler had a really great postgame interview, I have to admit, I like the guy alot after hearing his perspective.

After his "where the f*** did he come from" catch, I started to like him too.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
I figured it has never happened before, so i got curious and checked it out. Buehrle is indeed the first pitcher in baseball history to have thrown a no-hitter and a perfect game with the same umpire behind the plate.

Well, there were only 6 pitchers to do it...

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
He has faced the minimum 3 times I believe. Actually it is at least 3, if not 4.

Koufax faced the minimum in another one of his no-hitters (one walk, got a caught stealing). Of the 4 other guys to have a perfect game and another no-hitter, I can't find box scores for Young and Joss, but Johnson and Bunning didn't face the minimum in their other no-hitters. Even more rarified air for Buehrle.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 05:00 PM)
Gabe Kapler had a really great postgame interview, I have to admit, I like the guy alot after hearing his perspective.

I was thinking the same thing. It's one of those things where you are embarrassed, but it's such a piece of baseball history.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the ONLY way someone catches Kapler's ball in the 9th is if they are left handed. There is no possible way someone can make that play with their left hand being the glove hand...

Maybe it was meant to be....

It's been mentioned and I actually don't understand how people assume this. In the position that Wise was in, no, but he is left handed obviously and has no reason to be in any other position. A right handed player jumps, his arm is closer to the ball and his glove is turned backwards from the way Wise's was, but they wouldn't have their palm open the way Wise did either. The glove would've been there but the basket would more or less be in the same position. It's not something that's easy to do but catching a ball over the yellow line is already hard to do.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
What you have to love about Mark is that 15 years from now he will sit and watch this game with his kids and he will be exactly the same guy. He's an awesome man's man.

And he'll be able to point out at least 1 of his kids.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
Koufax faced the minimum in another one of his no-hitters (one walk, got a caught stealing). Of the 4 other guys to have a perfect game and another no-hitter, I can't find box scores for Young and Joss, but Johnson and Bunning didn't face the minimum in their other no-hitters. Even more rarified air for Buehrle.

Buehrle faced the minimum I believe in 2004. He actually gave up 2 hits in that game.

Mark Buehrle Throws 18th Perfect Game in MLB History

By SoxNet

Chicago White Sox starter Mark Buehrle threw the 18th perfect game in MLB history on Thursday. The perfect game was part of a 5-0 victory against the Tampa Bay Rays which gave the Sox a share of the division league with the Detroit Tigers. The perfect game was the 2nd in White Sox history. Mark Buehrle has now started and closed a world series game, thrown a perfect game, and a no-hitter. We are researching but we believe he might be the first player in MLB history to accomplish all of those tasks and he is the 6th player in MLB history to throw both a no-hitter and a perfect game....More at the Link (Including Video's, Image's, Quotes, and Interesting Facts)

Note: A few Soxtalk posters have been quoted in the article :)

QUOTE (rackemup @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
He throws a perfect game and gets congratulated by getting his name spelled wrong by the masses on Twitter.

Picture_11.png

P.S. The post game show on CSN was longer than the game.

it's still awesome that it got that much attention!