MARK BUEHRLE PITCHES THE 18TH PERFECT GAME IN HISTORY

southsider2k5

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
Mark was so courageous to throw like this with Danks in such bad shape.

Put his initials on the mound today. Should become a ritual now. :lol: Also fun fact, in each of Buehrle's no hitters (1 perfect game), we hit a grandslam in the games.

BTW, re: Wise being left-handed and being able to make that catch b/c his glove is on the right hand - so it doesn't look like I was talking out of my ass, it is possible to catch at that angle with the glove on the left hand. Difference being Wise had to jump.

It's nice to see that fans aren't the only ones that get psyched up for baseball history.

From Ken Davidoff's blog on Newsday.com:

For the moment, I'm going to post here, since our new system is not yet capable accepting comments. What's the point of blogging if you can't get feedback and exchange ideas, right? I feel like I'm going off the grid, sort of like Krusty did in this episode of "The Simpsons" when he broadcast his show from "the civil defense shack in the remote Alkali Flats of the Springfield Badlands."

Anyway, I was fortunate enough to catch the end of Mark Buehrle's perfect game

, on a TV in the A's clubhouse at Yankee Stadium. The entire room was riveted.

The funniest part: Bob Geren and his coaches were watching along with the players in the main dressing area, but in a side room, out of the media's view, the broadcast feed was apparently coming in a second or so quicker. So when DeWayne Wise made his absolutely amazing catch of Gabe Kapler's would-be home run, we heard a yelp in the other room, and then we saw the play.

So what did Geren and his coaches do? They bolted for the other room, of course. They wanted to be on top of the situation.

Congrats to Buehrle, and to Wise. And to White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, for executing perhaps the greatest defensive substitution (Wise in center field) in baseball history.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
Mark was so courageous to throw like this with Danks in such bad shape.

Wait...what? What is wrong with Danks other than the blisters ?.....oh you are joking arent you....f***ing HEADS.

I thought today was going to be just another normal day. I thought I was watching a normal Mark Buehrle fast and savvy filled baseball game....and then the 7th inning rolled around and I seen a man that was playing a kids game and not one nerve on end laughing in the dugout. I knew I was going to see something special at that point. Not a regular day at all. A normal good pitcher would have cared to much about the self achievement in pitching a perfect game to actually finish it at that point. Mark probably felt more excited for the much maligned Wise making the perfect game saving catch than for himself. I guess this is why baseball is worth watching.

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
As much as all us BA lovers and/or Wise "haters" have said "Boy we were wrong," Joe Cowley is an ass.

Well the last 5 words aren't news, but why, exactly? I can't be bothered to actually read his articles/posts to be honest so I don't know what he said.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
I was inciting arguments in the BA thread all game, not knowing that sweet revenge would be mine in a matter of hours/minutes.

Man don't bait me. I'm on a self-imposed anti-Wise hiatus for a while.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
Man don't bait me. I'm on a self-imposed anti-Wise hiatus for a while.

So YOU DO ADMIT YOU WERE WRONG and that Wise was the best option?.........uh huh...it all comes out now....you are such a windsail....

:lol:

This may have been posted in one of the previous 300+ posts, but based on the number of games played in history and the fact that this is the 18th perfect game in history, this type of thing happens in .00004% of games played. Un-freaking-believable.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
So YOU DO ADMIT YOU WERE WRONG and that Wise was the best option?.........uh huh...it all comes out now....you are such a windsail....

:lol:

I'm not sure how long this is going to last, because before too long it will mean I'm not allowed to say true things just because he made that catch. Eventually I'll lose my willpower. But I figure I have to make it at least 24 hours.

Edited by lostfan

I've seen comments posted on-line (not here) about Mark getting lucky. Of course many of these were coming from Cubs fans who don't appreciate baseball, but luck had nothing to do with it. 27 up, 27 down. Only 17 other pitchers have ever done this.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
I've seen comments posted on-line (not here) about Mark getting lucky. Of course many of these were coming from Cubs fans who don't appreciate baseball, but luck had nothing to do with it. 27 up, 27 down. Only 17 other pitchers have ever done this.

I have got nothing but love from my Cub fan friends today. They cant help but respect such an accomplishment to my surprise.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
I have got nothing but love from my Cub fan friends today. They cant help but respect such an accomplishment to my surprise.

And that's awesome. I think when you see a person posting about it being lucky or whatever, they are truly not baseball fans. Did you hear the Rays' announcer when Wise caught the ball or during the final out? Classy. Baseball fan.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)

As completely awesome as the perfect game and everything, you don't throw a no-hitter without at least a little luck. That's not to diminish the accomplishment, it's just that the accomplishment itself is kind of fluky to begin with.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
As completely awesome as the perfect game and everything, you don't throw a no-hitter without at least a little luck. That's not to diminish the accomplishment, it's just that the accomplishment itself is kind of fluky to begin with.

True, and with a little help. Wise :notworthy