SOX v. Detroit, 6:05PM WCIU

MHizzle85

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
would have loved to see CQ or even Nix pinch hit for Castro.

with runners on 1st and 3rd? That's what I thought too, it would be asking a lot for AJ, but I think the game called for it

Our bullpen is definitely looking shaky.

Maybe Linebrink should be shut down, sent down for a while. He definitely appears in trouble.

Thornton is sometimes untouchable, sometimes wild. DJ is not so good as he showed before the all star break.

Obviously Oz has little confidence in Dotel right now. And we know about Bobby of late.

Trouble in the pen.

I wonder what the solution is.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:00 PM)
Oh, and let's not forget the play that lost it, Castro dropping the throw at the plate.

After a glorious day, Ramon Castro sucked tonight.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)
Our bullpen is definitely looking shaky.

Maybe Linebrink should be shut down, sent down for a while. He definitely appears in trouble.

Thornton is sometimes untouchable, sometimes wild. DJ is not so good as he showed before the all star break.

Obviously Oz has little confidence in Dotel right now. And we know about Bobby of late.

Trouble in the pen.

I wonder what the solution is.

Start hitting.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
would have loved to see CQ or even Nix pinch hit for Castro.

Hell, pinch hit A.J. for him there. At least A.J. has the ability to just pull the ball to the right side and get the runner in. He usually does that anyhow.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 08:55 PM)
How does this team take 3 out of 4 against the Rays. Then look so crappy against a not so good Tiger team that has been struggling.

well we havent been hitting too well since the break. weve scored 25 runs not including the 1st game in which we exploded for 12 runs. so we basically have been averaging 3 runs a game , thats not guna cut it esp with our pitching lately. we really need tcq to get it going

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:44 PM)
Tomorrow is kind of a must-win. I don't see Clayton Richard having the success he had against the Rays.

Rays offense >>> Detroit's offense

But I know what you mean. He is inconsistent.

After all of that fighting to catch them for first they can't convert getting a runner in from third with less than 2 outs in either game and BAM...2 games back. Both games were right there for the taking if anyone just takes it upon themselves to make it happen. Just a terrible performance. That's what lost these games.

I really can't think of any position player who had a good day today. Some good at bats here and there, but overall nobody was very good today. So much for all of that BS about the perfect game propelling the team on to great things.

If they can somehow manage a split it will sting a little less.

Damn, I'm still pissed about Linebrink. Here's what I wrote on my blog (cheap plug! nah, j/k, I won't link it, but in case you really are interested, just goto mlblogs.com and click the recent White Sox tag)

I have another gripe with Ozzie and his handling of the bullpen, AGAIN. Like I said last week, Scott Linebrink has proven that he can not be trusted. Why in the world would he be the first guy you go to in a tie game in the 8th inning? Let them beat your best! Let's go back in time:

- July 17th - Sox vs. Orioles - Linebrink is brought into a 6-3 game. He gives up a hit to Roberts and a HR to Jones to make it 6-5. Linebrink gives up another hit, but gets out of it. The next day, July 18th, the Sox lead 4-1, Buehrle gives up a couple hits in the 8th, Adam Jones is up, and who does Ozzie bring in? Linebrink. Jones quickly singles, Linebrink is pulled, and Thornton comes in to save the day with the bases loaded. So Linebrink was brought in to face Adam Jones, who had homered off of him the night before?

- July 20th - Sox vs. Rays - Sox lead 4-3 in the 8th. Linebrink is called upon to relieve Gavin Floyd. Linebrink gets an out but gives up a hit and a walk, and again, Thornton is called upon to save Linebrink and Ozzie (and he is successful).

-Tonight - Sox vs. Tigers - Linebrink is called on in the 8th to relieve the starter against the top of the order. He gets an out and then proceeds to load the bases. Again, Thornton is called upon to save the day, but is not perfect this time, and walks in the deciding run before getting out of the inning.

These are examples of Ozzie using Linebrink in big situations. Why? These are situations that used to go to Dotel, Thornton, or both. Dotel has his faults, but I trust him much more than Linebrink. I know that Dotel was used in Game 1 today, but honestly, I would have much rather wasted Linebrink in Game 1 once it was known that Contreras turned in a decent outing and you had no idea what you were going to get from Colon in a big game for the Sox. Linebrink has now suffered his 5th loss of the year. 3 of those losses have come against the Tigers...

I would suspect Linebrink may have earned some time on the pine. My guess is our new reliever Pena will be getting the more important set up work until if and when Pena fails. Hopefully our new reliever will be the answer for a while. Oz has gone to Linebrink a lot lately, pre all star game and after. He's been consistently sucking and Oz eventually gives up on you, at least for a while. We shall see.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
Damn, I'm still pissed about Linebrink. Here's what I wrote on my blog (cheap plug! nah, j/k, I won't link it, but in case you really are interested, just goto mlblogs.com and click the recent White Sox tag)

i agree. ozzie is treating linebrink like a guy that everyday is in the 3 spot. when ur best hitter is struggling u leave him there almost no matter what. thats how hes treating linebrink. he was his 8th inning guy and hes leaving him there. im not a huge fan of lou bcuz i think hes a bit overrated but atleast ive seen him mix it up a bit in the pen. u go with the hot hand. how many times does linebrink have to fail for him to make a move?? fustrating.

Does any team in baseball have worse late inning situational hitting then us? Our situational hitting is bad, but if we gets runners in scoring position in the 7th inning or later, you can pretty much guarantee we won't be driving those runs in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
Who in our bullpen is actually a hot hand?

true, no one really right now. but i would take dotel and thornton over him right now. hell, literally even carrasco and pena. thats how bad hes been. like boers and bersnstein said, ozzie keeps trotting him out there as if all of the sudden hes going to snap out of it. its been going on for a bit already. to make things simple, i just agree with what he said in his blog and thats about it.

Edited by Melissa1334