Richard causing good problem

BamaDoc

It's realistic at this point to assume that Colon might actually be better served in middle relief. Richard, however looks like he has the really possibility to grow into a hell of a starting pitcher at this point. This is youth versus experience. Richard might reach a prime at some point soon, Colon is way past it.

Edited by Thunderbolt

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if Colon pitches WED and Contreras on THUR against the Yankees...they'll have the decision to start Richard on an extra day's rest or rest Danks for an extra day, same with Buehrle, who would go Sunday (you know he loves to pitch against NY) or be pushed back into the next series.

Interesting decisions coming up.

I guess it's better to go with Contreras agains the Yankees than the Twins...

The good thing about Richard is that these past 2 starts have really helped any trade value he has. The fact that Ozzie is showing this much confidence in Colon is troubling and I honestly think the Sox feel like they're okay since they have Garcia too. From what I heard his session was nothing special, but of course, Ozzie was raving about his boy

I hate that we keep throwing out these old washed up retreads like Colon and possibly Garcia in the future. Richard to me looks like he could be a solid #3 starter in this league and he is just begun to pitch well. I will be pissed off if I see Colon starting over Richard next time out.

QUOTE (HoosierSox @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
I hate that we keep throwing out these old washed up retreads like Colon and possibly Garcia in the future. Richard to me looks like he could be a solid #3 starter in this league and he is just begun to pitch well. I will be pissed off if I see Colon starting over Richard next time out.

Well, it sure looks like it's going to happen, though I'm not happy with the decision either...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6832981.story

DETROIT -- Clayton Richard gave the White Sox a memorable farewell starting performance Sunday night, while the offense provided enough spark heading into another important American League Central series.

Richard, who will move to the bullpen, pitched eight innings of five-hit ball to beat the division-leading Detroit Tigers 5-1 and snap a three-game losing streak.

Richard's timely outing allowed the Sox (51-48) to cut their deficit to two games.

It also was essential for the offense to provide enough support before a three-game series begins Monday night at rival Minnesota, where the Sox have lost 11 of their last 13 games.

Richard (4-3) leaves the rotation with two runs allowed in his last 16 innings. He is moving to the bullpen to give the Sox another left-hander and because Bartolo Colon, who rejoined the Sox on Friday, has been used exclusively as a starter in his career.

they could do a six man rotation for a few weeks and see whos pitching the worst out of colon/contreras/richard and then move that person to the bullpen/dl.

edit: but it looks like they wont be doing this, with clayton moving to the pen

Edited by joejoedairy

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 07:31 PM)
Ozzie is opening himself up to a lot of criticism if he removes Richard from rotation and Colon gets rocked in his next few starts.

And if he stays with Richard and Richard has a couple of bad starts next month, Soxtalk will tear him apart as well. After all, people here were calling for his head just a few weeks ago. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't...

The good news is that the Sox may have found their #4 starter for next season. Richard's stuff has always been there, and it appears that he's finally figuring out how to wield it.

I have never criticized KW in my life. But this past month has been pissing me off. Allen for Pena, Wise over Anderson, and now Colon over Richard. Seriously there is no reason why a fat over the hill pitcher needs to be starting, when Clayton can.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)
And if he stays with Richard and Richard has a couple of bad starts next month, Soxtalk will tear him apart as well. After all, people here were calling for his head just a few weeks ago. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't...

The good news is that the Sox may have found their #4 starter for next season. Richard's stuff has always been there, and it appears that he's finally figuring out how to wield it.

If he replaced Richard with Poreda or Torres I could take it. But Colon is worthless to this team, and its future.

Good Job White Sox you give Richard a chance to prove himself, and then he does but you put him in the pen anyway.

The decision to potentially use Colon over Richard is incredibly disturbing. Unless they're shipping CR’s ass out of town next week, he needs to be in this rotation. What does the organization have to gain by using Colon over Richard? They stand to lose more by dropping a young, hard-throwing lefty whose experience success at the back-end of a major league rotation, for an aged, fat pitcher with one pitch..

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
The decision to potentially use Colon over Richard is incredibly disturbing. Unless they're shipping CR’s ass out of town next week, he needs to be in this rotation. What does the organization have to gain by using Colon over Richard? They stand to lose more by dropping a young, hard-throwing lefty whose experience success at the back-end of a major league rotation, for an aged, fat pitcher with one pitch..

He doesn't even really have that one pitch, because at 84-90 MPH, it's below MLB average.

Bartolo's just getting by with movement, and he's mixing in a few more offspeed pitches than earlier in the season, which was the focus of his "rehab."

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)
Brought to you by the same team that insists on having a certain outfielder who shall remain nameless.

Jerry Owens?

Oh wait, we finally got rid of him after almost 3 years of suckage.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 01:02 AM)
This guy?

20090724wise_330.jpg

No, i think he meant this guy. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wisede01.shtml

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos

2009 31 CHW AL 49 114 104 8 20 6 2 1 7 2 3 3 24 .192 .236 .317 .554 42 33 0 3 4 0 0 89/7

Or this guy:

162 Game Avg. 162 346 321 41 67 14 6 9 32 13 2 15 62 .210 .250 .372 .623 58 119 4 3 6 2 1

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 01:08 AM)
No, i think he meant this guy. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wisede01.shtml

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos

2009 31 CHW AL 49 114 104 8 20 6 2 1 7 2 3 3 24 .192 .236 .317 .554 42 33 0 3 4 0 0 89/7

Or this guy:

162 Game Avg. 162 346 321 41 67 14 6 9 32 13 2 15 62 .210 .250 .372 .623 58 119 4 3 6 2 1

Yeah that guy. My self-imposed hiatus is over so I can say it. Loved the catch, but the .192 average is not an anomaly.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 01:11 AM)
Yeah that guy. My self-imposed hiatus is over so I can say it. Loved the catch, but the .192 average is not an anomaly.

We're on the same page, Lostfan. It needs to be stated: One catch doesn’t make Dewayne Wise a good baseball player, it makes him a very important part of White Sox history, but it does not make him a good baseball player.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 12:21 AM)
We're on the same page, Lostfan. It needs to be stated: One catch doesn’t make Dewayne Wise a good baseball player, it makes him a very important part of White Sox history, but it does not make him a good baseball player.

I still find it funny that people hate/don't like him. I mean he is what he is. If there's someone you don't like, don't like the front office/management that gives him a 25 man spot/trouts him out there. Wise is a good minor league player. Most organizations wouldn't even have a Wise up here.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 01:44 AM)
I still find it funny that people hate/don't like him. I mean he is what he is. If there's someone you don't like, don't like the front office/management that gives him a 25 man spot/trouts him out there. Wise is a good minor league player. Most organizations wouldn't even have a Wise up here.

I don't hate him at all, it would be silly if I did. I get pissed off when I see him leading off on Opening Day and other silly s*** like that though. Or get frustrated when you see him get extended playing time and he fails miserably, same reason people hated Lillibridge.