Richard causing good problem

BamaDoc

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
That's because the only way he ever gets to the 3rd time through the order, he's pitching a good game. When he's getting lit up, or walking everyone in sight, by the time they come up for the 3rd time, Carrasco is facing them.

I don't necessarily think how he does the first time through is an indication how he would be as a reliever. He obviously would have a different mindset, and he might face more LH hitters.

As bad as everyone thinks Colon is, and as great as Richard supposedly now is, although a week or so ago Poreda was a prospect and Richard was garbage, Colon still has a lower ERA and WHIP than Richard this season.

I could care less about a differential of 0.028 regarding their whips, and especially colon's deceiving era. When colon gets hit, he gets hit hard.

Richard's runs/9 is 5.1. Richard has given up 4 unearned in 89 inning. Richard's k/9 is 6.7. His k/bb is 1.78. His xbh% stands at 7.2%. Richard's ops against is .770. Richard has forced 12 double plays while having 79 opportunities... for a double play percentage of 15%.

Colon's runs/9 is 6.1. Colon has given up 13 unearned in 62.1. Colon's k/9 is 5.5. His k/bb is 1.81 His xbh % stands at 11.6%. Colon's ops against is .854. Colon has forced 3 double plays while having 43 opportunities... for a double play percentage of just 7%.

I could pretty much go on all day...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
I hate when it's so obvious the completely wrong decision is going to be made, and still continues to get made.

You mean like watching Ozzie make decisions on who to bring out of the bullpen when we do or don't have the lead? LOL

Ozzie doesn't seem to be writing CR off yet, i'm pretty happy to hear that. "Last two outings this kid has been great," Guillen said after Sunday's win over Detroit. "I've got to sit down with Kenny on the plane ride to Minnesota] and talk about it. See if we have better ideas. What we have to do to keep him in the role, give him another shot. The way he pitched the last couple games he's been great."

Guillen was then asked if Richard had changed his mind about putting him back in the bullpen.

"To me, yeah. To me," he replied. "I'm the boss of the team, the manager, but this team runs by coaches, manager and general manager. We do all things together. [Today] we should have a better idea.

"Right now it seems like we have a six-man rotation, but I don't want to do that. In the meanwhile, this kid is pitching so great, we have to sit down and talk. See what the matchups are going to be and what we need."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/07...otation_or.html

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
I'm glad to see Ozzie giving Richard his due. Sounds like Richard has a legit shot of being in the starting rotation next April.

Ozzie is giving a pitcher who is terrible right now (Jenks) his back...you can bet your tail if a pitcher goes out there and wins for the Sox, Ozzie will have his back too.

Ozzie isn't as much of a nimrod as some thing...he wants to win BADLY. His suspected vendetta v. Brian Anderson was proven to be an urban legend...if you play well, Ozzie will get you out there.

Richard is getting another start I bet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
We do know that Colon pretty much as to start that last game of the Twins series because otherwise Richard would be going on 2 days of rest.

Or Jose.

But Contreras, holding runners on base, Twins/Piranhas/Metrodome, not a good combination. Agree with Ozzie. And Jose always seems to get fired up facing the organization that gave up on him so quickly, only to witness him becoming the best pitcher in all of baseball for a 4 month time span.