White Sox @ Twins 7/28 Game Thread

SoxFan1

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)
If you put him at 2nd, Beckham at SS, and sign Chone to play 3rd, then you're putting together an Ozzie style offense. Also, who else thinks KW will go balls out to get Carl Crawford this offseason?

I'm somewhat concerned that Dewayne Wise is an Ozzie Style offense.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
It's Ozzie though

yeah, but KW puts together the team, and he's got Thome and kept PK and Dye around, I think he gets that you need power in your lineup in that park.

Wise needs to go, his ABs are a complete joke, I can't believe Nathan and Mauer wasted 3-4 pitches tonight trying that outside FB

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
Really, really want to see Thome gone, and I also think Dye's not likely to return. That's 70 homers you have to replace, but we can potentially upgrade our outfield defense while getting solid production for half the cost.

man, if Holliday wasn't a Boras client, I would love to see him in a White Sox uniform next year

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
I totally agree, but you have to upgrade in CF next year. AJP should be the #8 hitter next season.

And we're back at Ramirez for CF.

As for AJ, when do we make him a situational catcher, backup 1B, and pinch hitter? His D behind the plate has been getting worse every season. I'm not even talking about his arm, he is very sluggish behind the plate. I've been thinking about a Flowers-Pierzynski catching duo (Flowers gets 60% of playing time behind the plate, AJ gets 40% behind the plate plus extra AB's from 1B/DH/PH). Just a thought. Maybe not until 2011.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
Good news, Colon scratched for tomorrow

Jose going to go?

As awful as the D and the relief pitching has been, the offense is in a death spiral right now, and Walker just keeps getting free passes

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:11 PM)
Getz has been pretty bad defensively this year. Even when he shows good range to his left, he takes too long to get the runner out.

He's average on defense.....not bad, not good. He's on par with most of the good offensive 2b in the game.

Getz is still not the problem...rookie 2nd basemen hitting at the bottom of the order are role players.

The real problems are people like Wise, Thome hasn't been consistent, Quentin has been injured or awful and our bullpen has been crap for a month now.

Our starting pitching has been solid...which is the only reason we are not in the toilet with Kansas City.

Complaining about Getz, a low paid rookie when other 'notable' players (Thome, Quentin, Jenks) are producing jack is avoiding the issue.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
Getz is still not the problem...rookie 2nd basemen hitting at the bottom of the order are role players.

The real problems are people like Wise, Thome hasn't been consistent, Quentin has been injured or awful and our bullpen has been crap for a month now.

Our starting pitching has been solid...which is the only reason we are not in the toilet with Kansas City.

Complaining about Getz, a low paid rookie when other 'notable' players (Thome, Quentin, Jenks) are producing jack is avoiding the issue.

you aren't talking to me right??? little confused at how you replied right after I defended him twice..LOL

As awful as the D and the relief pitching has been, the offense is in a death spiral right now, and Walker just keeps getting free passes

The season is going full circle; now we're blaming Walker again.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)
The season is going full circle; now we're blaming Walker again.

LOL, Yes....with that logic, we should start a hot streak sometime at the end of August.....but we'll be out of the race by then.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
Yep, i continue to believe that even if we come out of next week without Dye and/or Konerko we're still in the race till the end of the season.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Sox are some great team ready to bust out, I think all 3 teams are extremely flawed and incapable of running away with the division

And we're back at Ramirez for CF.

As for AJ, when do we make him a situational catcher, backup 1B, and pinch hitter? His D behind the plate has been getting worse every season. I'm not even talking about his arm, he is very sluggish behind the plate. I've been thinking about a Flowers-Pierzynski catching duo (Flowers gets 60% of playing time behind the plate, AJ gets 40% behind the plate plus extra AB's from 1B/DH/PH). Just a thought. Maybe not until 2011.

I think both Mitchell and Danks should make significant enough progress to surpise us next year with the CF question. I think if they don't get back to winning real soon this season is a wash. But getting the lineup right for next year starts to take on importance now. Not sure if Slayer will stay at 3rd but Alexei is starting to get into his 5-10 game funk where he does nothing and plays bad. This whole road trip has been really bad in general. And don't look now but Lillebridge is playing really well at Charlotte (.287 average). Throw him into the CF mix? I say he is better or no worse than Wise. OK here it comes!!

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Sox are some great team ready to bust out, I think all 3 teams are extremely flawed and incapable of running away with the division

I'd rather they stop teasing us and just rebuild for next year. Still got that rotten taste of those 9 shutouts from virtually nobodies in my mouth and that ain't goin away this year with this Jekyll and Hyde team. No chance.