K, this might get heated, but let's talk

bmags

Nothing really pisses me off more when I'm driving with someone than when they arbitrarily honk at a biker and get pissed off when the biker is doing NOTHING wrong.

And pre-emptively, let me say this, as someone who rides bikes I hate when cyclists don't follow the rules of the road either. They SHOULD stop at stop lights and stop signs and everything else. BUt that's beside the point, because what I"m talking about is my experience with getting angry at cyclists merely for being on a road and you have to go around them.

Yesterday I was riding and a car rolls down their window, honks and tells me to get the eff off the road. He then realizes he has a stop light ahead, and I kindly roll up next to him.

My friends and I continue to get honked and berated for following the law, and now it's at the point where on some roads I've just given up and gone on the sidewalk because I'm sick of getting harrassed.

And more embarrassed when someone I'm in the car with does it and screams something idiotic like "the road is for cars".

And I'm just wondering where this immediate deep seeded anger-filled responses come from JUST FOR RIDING ON THE ROAD. I've driven past cyclists, it's not that big of an inconvenience.

And once more, I'm not defending the ones who breaking the law or anything.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amuses me a bit. Riding on the sidewalk is not only illegal most places, but it is often more dangerous because you are out of the line of sight for people turning in or out of driveways and parking lots.

For the record, I am not a law-abiding bicyclist. I always wait my turn at stop signs, but often don't come to a complete stop. If there are no cars around, then I won't stop at all. If I am at a red light with a green left-turn arrow I sometimes go if there are no more cars turning--in part because it seems like this gives me more visibility.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

I have no beef with cyclists. They are crazy for riding on the streets of Chicago, but they seem to know what they are doing.

I saw a lady on North Ave. open her car door right into a cyclist. It looked really f***ing painful.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
If there are no cars around, then I won't stop at all. If I am at a red light with a green left-turn arrow I sometimes go if there are no more cars turning--in part because it seems like this gives me more visibility.

True, if there are no cars I don't go to a complete stop but I do slow down enough to make sure there are none. But I file that under "if a tree falls in the woods..."

What's worse was this kid who yelled at the cyclists, we were in San Francisco where legally cyclists should be treated as a car, so they have right to the whole lane.

So annoying.

My friend had a drink thrown at him by a passing car, who then had a stop sign. HE caught up to them and pulled his bike in front and just stared at them. They were scared to move. My friend isn't big. I think people think the bike works as weaponry.

Don't cyclists have the same rights on the road as cars? Just move over into the right lane and stay out of my way and we're good. Don't make it difficult for me to pass you. I totally get that riding the sidewalk isn't the greatest idea.

On the other hand, motorcyclists who whip around me when I'm doing 75 on the highway... yeah. I'm visualizing you crashing into the back of a truck.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
Don't cyclists have the same rights on the road as cars? Just move over into the right lane and stay out of my way and we're good. Don't make it difficult for me to pass you. I totally get that riding the sidewalk isn't the greatest idea.

On the other hand, motorcyclists who whip around me when I'm doing 75 on the highway... yeah. I'm visualizing you crashing into the back of a truck.

haha, same.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)

These f***tards like to go 100+ around in and out of traffic during rush hour around here. And then pop wheelies. BIG MAN! Hey dips***s, I hope your asscrack matches the road when you put everyone else in danger with your dips*** ways.

Oh, and bicycles are great. And should always follow rules of the road, who cares what dipsticks think in a car.

It's safer for cyclists to use sidewalks, especially if those sidewalks are bigger then normal.

True, it is law for them not too. That I do not understand. What is more dangerous, a sidewalk of people walking with a few bicycles, or a road of people on bicycles with cars and trucks?

I've ridden on the riverwalk in the Fox Valley area and it's so easy to tell pedestrians "comin' up behind you!" and they can accordingly give you space. Cyclists on the road are not so fortunate. The cars on the road might not necessarily be in a hurry, but the last thing those cars on the road want to see is a cyclists swerve and fall into or in front of them while driving. The fact that you have to pass the cyclists makes it that much more dangerous. Normally when I'm passing a cyclists I like to yield them plenty of room for error just in case. That's tough to do sometimes because then you must temporarily take up a portion of the left lane or the oncoming traffic lane... another situation most drivers want nothing to do with.

Law is law and it should be followed, but I would not be opposed to changing the law so it's not illegal for cyclists to be on the sidewalks. There are a ton of cyclists here in Idaho Falls... most of them just use the sidewalk. We have nice sized sidewalks here, no one seems to get in trouble for using them (because everyone does), and most important no one gets stressed out or gets put into unnecessarily dangerous predicaments.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)

I have taken to rush hour bike rides in NYC on busy streets, because it seems a safer time than most to ride believe it or not. I can't believe how many drivers will floor past a cyclist just to cut him off turning into a driveway or worse yet, to make a U turn. On an average Saturday, I get dangerously cut off four or five times in a 20 mile ride, and narrowly avoid getting car doored every weekend. (It's actually worse in the suburbs in my opinion.)

I will say this, cyclists generally have no respect for traffic laws and I wish the NYPD would actively ticket idiot cyclists. It's one thing to turn right on red in a bike, or sometimes using the walk/don't walk lights for guidance when crossing a street, but its another to go the wrong way in a one way, to blow every red light, to not wear a helmet or use a headlight at night.

Cyclists do have the same rights on the road as cars and are to be treated as such. I hate when I'm being passed in 5mph traffic so a car can go the same speed as me directly in front of me. I don't get road rage in cars, but I have gotten it on my bicycle in lower Manhattan.

QUOTE (DanksFan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
It's safer for cyclists to use sidewalks, especially if those sidewalks are bigger then normal.

True, it is law for them not too. That I do not understand. What is more dangerous, a sidewalk of people walking with a few bicycles, or a road of people on bicycles with cars and trucks?

I've ridden on the riverwalk in the Fox Valley area and it's so easy to tell pedestrians "comin' up behind you!" and they can accordingly give you space. Cyclists on the road are not so fortunate. The cars on the road might not necessarily be in a hurry, but the last thing those cars on the road want to see is a cyclists swerve and fall into or in front of them while driving. The fact that you have to pass the cyclists makes it that much more dangerous. Normally when I'm passing a cyclists I like to yield them plenty of room for error just in case. That's tough to do sometimes because then you must temporarily take up a portion of the left lane or the oncoming traffic lane... another situation most drivers want nothing to do with.

Law is law and it should be followed, but I would not be opposed to changing the law so it's not illegal for cyclists to be on the sidewalks. There are a ton of cyclists here in Idaho Falls... most of them just use the sidewalk. We have nice sized sidewalks here, no one seems to get in trouble for using them (because everyone does), and most important no one gets stressed out or gets put into unnecessarily dangerous predicaments.

It is most definitely not safer for bikers to be on sidewalks. The law is not arbitrary, its that way because its the safest way. Vehicles on the road, peds on the sidewalks. Bikes on sidewalks is asking for trouble with peds, doors, all kinds of stuff. Now, if by sidewalks, you mean trails, that is different. But a bicycle is a vehicle, and it doesn't work well with pedestrians, and should be on the road.

I ride to work every day, in downtown Chicago. I ride 6 miles or so each way, from Bucktown to south of the loop. I ride in traffic that is at times very heavy.

Amazingly, most drivers handle things well, as do most cyclists. But there is a percentage of people on both sides that are just plain stupid. They weave into bike/car lanes, they don't look before turning, they think they own the road, etc. It applies to both. But they are the minority, thankfully.

I do on rare occasion get yelled at or buzzed by cars, but it really is rare. And in turn, I follow the rules of the road - use the bike lanes, never do anything to cut off or slow down a car because I am breaking the law, and almost always wait for the light (when I ride in at 6am, some streets are still dead, so if there is no traffic, I'll go).

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
I have taken to rush hour bike rides in NYC on busy streets, because it seems a safer time than most to ride believe it or not. I can't believe how many drivers will floor past a cyclist just to cut him off turning into a driveway or worse yet, to make a U turn. On an average Saturday, I get dangerously cut off four or five times in a 20 mile ride, and narrowly avoid getting car doored every weekend. (It's actually worse in the suburbs in my opinion.)

I will say this, cyclists generally have no respect for traffic laws and I wish the NYPD would actively ticket idiot cyclists. It's one thing to turn right on red in a bike, or sometimes using the walk/don't walk lights for guidance when crossing a street, but its another to go the wrong way in a one way, to blow every red light, to not wear a helmet or use a headlight at night.

Cyclists do have the same rights on the road as cars and are to be treated as such. I hate when I'm being passed in 5mph traffic so a car can go the same speed as me directly in front of me. I don't get road rage in cars, but I have gotten it on my bicycle in lower Manhattan.

I think PD's in major cities need to ticket for biking violations more often - drivers AND riders. Heck, they have bike patrol units, USE THEM.

And being in Chicago is a godsend for cyclists - better bike lanes and bike treatments here than in most cities.

Also, to clarify, rural areas like where you live are indeed different. Wide empty sidewalks have some advantages over roads with fast car traffic, no doubt. Still not enough to change the law, but, its a closer argument.

In urban areas, bikes on sidewalks would never work.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
I saw a lady on North Ave. open her car door right into a cyclist. It looked really f***ing painful.

I was "doored" about a month ago for the 1st time. Very painful. Luckily the person getting out of the car was nice enough to completely walk away with complete disregard and didn't bother to ask if I was okay.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:25 PM)
I was "doored" about a month ago for the 1st time. Very painful. Luckily the person getting out of the car was nice enough to completely walk away with complete disregard and didn't bother to ask if I was okay.

That's terrible. I would be devastated if I opened my cardoor into a bike rider. Except for you, then I'd just tell you to rub some dirt on it and get your ass moving again. :lol:

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:25 PM)

My wife's cousin was hit bad enough it crushed his hip, among other injuries, on his bike in the city. As he was laying on the ground, the driver of the car, who was cited later because he caused the accident, came over and was yelling at him. Nice.

They settled the lawsuit, the guy had to pay everything, including lost wage.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)

Did you call the cops and report him?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
No. I was too rattled. I'll know next time.

When I lived in Kansas, I was waiting for a light to change, and was in a dedicated turn lane with a red light. Some mom in a minivan took out the back end of my bike, stopping half an inch from actually hitting me. Yelled at me for "scaring her" and drove off without offering me so much as a ride home. Bike was totalled. I was too rattled to get her license plate number. Never rode without a helmet since.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
Why don't cyclists use the really nice, brand-new bike paths along busy roads?

If they exist we use them. Sometimes we even go out of the way to use them because they're so much safer. We just wish there were more of them.

I don't think there are really many other things in life that piss me off more than a biker in the street. I have been close several times to getting into an accident to avoid hitting a biker or because someone else was trying to avoid it. It also slows down traffic emensly which then causes people to try to compensate three blocks back by over accelerating and braking late to make up for wasted time.

I have yet to really see anyone point out to me why it is more dangerous for a biker to be on the sidewalk, than the street. It takes a lot less for a biker to slow down for some pedestrians than for hundreds of cars to slow down for one biker.

If I ever decide to murder someone in this lifetime (which I will not), it would be a biker via my car.

That's what I do, and that's the main problem. Cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the street if there is only one lane in each direction.